Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Many stores on Main Street close

The article in the Amigoe newspaper is referring to Main Street (that is the name of the street) where the trolley rides where there are high-end stores not where all the small souvenir shops and tee shirt stores are located on L.G. Smith Blvd.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    No, Retagger, you're thinking of the Renaissance Mall. Where the trolley goes are basic stores mixed with souvenir stores and they are far from high end. Not even close to high end stores on that street. Believe me, no one could confuse that street with high end. The Renaissance Mall has all the high end stores. But I don't even care about high end stores. Bottom line is that the stores are not anything ( to those of us who seriously shop and can put damage on a shopping trip). I spend alot of money in Aruba but never ever in five years bought a thing on that street. I shop at stores along the road to the high rise area, some great shops, some terrific shops where certified is (great shoe store), and Paseo and Palm Beach have some great stores. But Main Street, not so much...
    Last edited by gaby; 05-31-2016 at 06:11 PM. Reason: add on

They misjudged what the traveling customer is willing to pay for. I have traveled to Aruba 17 times and I have NEVER come looking to buy something as I always take what I need. I have purchased the occasional gift for my wife but that is the exception and more of a whim than anything else. I don't consider Aruba a shopping destination, I consider it an escape from reality and I have zero desire to be shopping then, lol.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Actually, I think Aruba is a great shopping destination. You just need to look. I have bought gorgeous shoes, handbags and let's not even discuss the Caribbean Queen for unique things. I've bought gorgeous pareos. These are from stores I've found that I now always check out. But Aruba is great for shopping and finding unique things. I never wear a pair of shoes or carry a handbag that I got there that someone doesn't stop me to ask me where I got it. And I am not talking Gucci or Louis Vuitton. Love Love Love to shop in Aruba...

Gaby I think you are supporting a few stores, thanks for doing your share, lol.

@Gaby. There are high end stores on Main Street. I know where the Renissance Mall is and that is not where I am referring to. Main Street is 2 streets behind the Mall. There are high end clothes stores right behind Zares on Main Street. The trolly travels a long way and has stores on both sides for many blocks. It sounds that you haven't traveled on the tram to the end. My wife just bought $300 shoes in one of those stores last week. There are a few stores that sell $300-400 leather suitcases.

I have gone all the way down there. My point is whether it's high end or not doesn't necessarily make the merchandise in the stores any good. but as a woman with over 285 pairs of shoes & 118 handbags, I know my shopping, lol. But I don't think the meters are the problem. but to each his own on shopping. We all have different ideas of shopping which is why there are so many stores, thank goodness, lol. I am not impressed with downtown. But just my opinion.

There is a place downtown where we usually buy our tshirts and what we call "happy crappy". It's across the street when you walk through to the back of the mall. There are still a few stores along that block that are still open.

We used to love walking along the street that's even one more street back from the trolley. It had a local feel to it with mainly small, local shops and a cool open air bar we would stop at for a drink. We could always find something unique along that street. Sadly, many of those stores have closed.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Very interesting read on Bati Bleki's FB:

More merchants adding to the discussion, this time Michael Wulfsen, from Wulfsen & Wulfsen a main street fashion establishment for more than 50 years!

Retailer Michael Wulfsen open letter to main street merchants

Subject: RE: Situacion deplorabel di nos Caya Betico Croes

Dear Colleagues,

A very good initiative has been made with this letter and this “cry for action”. We share the concern about all the negative developments in our street. Turnovers are very heavy under pressure and the calmness in the street (also on Saturdays) since the introduction of the parking meters is very worrying. Big changes are necessary and the government should recognize that changes must be made. As individual companies we all try to respond to the changed situation. But we cannot change the bigger issues by ourselves. That is why it is good to point out views as a whole street. With collectively we can achieve a lot. And changes are desperately needed.

In order to make future communication more easy for everyone and to avoid any misunderstanding we propose to communicate in English. Is that okay?
    Regarding all the proposals made in this letter we herewith respond with our feedback.

• To open the Mainstreet for traffic again during special hours of the day seems a good idea. The suggested times (Monday – Saturday from 17:00 to 09:00, and all day Sunday) is okay for us. The Tram is not affected and the street offers an additional option to the public.
    • To shutdown the parking meters until December 31st is very much hoped-for. Evaluation after that is definitely a good thing. We only ask ourselves whether this is feasible (employed parking attendants?). But the parking problem is the core of our problem. So therefore it is a good proposal. Until the end of the year could be worked on possible alternatives.

We propose to improve the parking problem as follows:

• Create some free parking spaces in- and around the downtown area where up to 4 hours can be parked free of charge. Full is full… and only then visitors / customers should look for other paid parking spaces. These free carpark-areas are not meant for the people who are working downtown. So that is why only up to max. 4 hours free parking is possible. The carpark-areas are meant for visitors / customers. Under some parking areas that could be eligible:
    • Land at Royal Plaza (behind bus station)
    • Land for Island Finance
    • Land next to La Linda
    • Land at Interbank

With the owners of these areas, the government will have to go into dialogue in order to achieve these possibilities. Also, the capacity of some areas could then be increased (double layer?)

• Where are the promised parking garages? Making the entire city paid parking and offering insufficient parking capacity at central locations, is asking for trouble. The introduction of the paid parking-system has been done far too rigorously. Was every single street necessary? Maybe a more refined plan would have made the difference. Offering sufficient alternatives or fewer streets with paid parking.
    • Make it possible that the first two hours of parking are free of charge (the entire city / all parking meters). Technically, this is possible. No issue. Research in cities abroad where similar systems are operational is necessary.

• Abolish 3.5% Tax for our street only seems not realistic to us.
    • Free Wifi in the street is a nice additional service. Every little thing helps.
    • Every Sunday open is only possible if all the shops participate consistently. That, however, is questionable. Not every business owner is willing, or able, to open on Sundays. Only if we have a commitment from everyone it will make sense. Opening than from 10:00 to 14:00?

But it may be better to extend the shopping times on normal shopping days. For example from Monday – Friday, until 19:00! That seems realistic to us. We offer an extra hour for the people who come from the office. An additional opportunity for shopping after work.

We also see a number of other improvements, for example:

• Place a signing at every tram-stop and at the departure point near the cruise ships mentioning that the trams will depart every 10 minutes (a timetable) and that stepping on- and off on the entire route is possible. Now tourists tend to stay on the tram the whole ride! Probably afraid that otherwise they would not come back to the boats again. With this we miss opportunities. It should commercially give us an extra opportunity instead of sightseeing tour alone..
    • The kiosk in the street should be opened as soon as possible (never been opened). That gives necessary additional fuss. People like to eat a snack or have a drink. This is an essential addition to the street. So an operator must be found ASAP for this kiosk.
    • An independent association of retailers should be installed / founded again. A new kind of “Mambo”. It is necessary that an independent union should represent all our collective thoughts of the street.

We are very much pleased that someone has taken the initiative to point out all our worries of the street. I therefore really hope that many of us will support this initiative. Organizing a press conference is obviously a very clear signal. But we should also form a small committee and bring forward all these issues to the relevant governors. We collectively need to present our recommendations formed.

Let’s do this. No time to waste…

For questions or further deliberations, I am of course available. However not often on the Island though. I am based on Curacao and travelling for business often into The Netherlands.

Looking forward to the next step.
    With kind regards,
    Your fellow retailer.
    Michael Wulfsen

http://batibleki.visitaruba.com/8am-...eet-merchants/

https://www.facebook.com/BatiBlekiBuzz/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12