Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: New Grocery Store opens in Noord/Palm Beach

I know I'm responding to an old thread that went a bit off topic, but is there any update on Kong Fui? It seems the store wasn't up to par compared to Ling and Sons and others. Has anyone been there recently? Is it still there? Has it changed for the better or worse? Thanks,
    Walt

Aruba since 1979
    We were there in May 2012, December 2011, Aug 2011 and Dec 2010........each time we went we found it better stocked, but by no means stocked as well as Lings or Super Food.

I had issues with them re: my debit card which i used at the cash register for a purchase i made in Dec 2010. The issue was resolved, but I had to get a new ATM card.

The only reason we went back in 2011 and 2012 is my husband is "addicted" to SUNKIST Orange soda. He can never find it in Aruba, and by gosh we have looked
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    I know I'm responding to an old thread that went a bit off topic, but is there any update on Kong Fui? It seems the store wasn't up to par compared to Ling and Sons and others. Has anyone been there recently? Is it still there? Has it changed for the better or worse? Thanks,
    Walt

Went there today. The place was empty of shoppers....that should tell you something considering it is a Saturday and also end of month when a lot get paid. As usual, the service was non-existant. I was doing a check on prices compared to some of the other supermarkets. Everything was just a little higher...50c here a couple of florins higher for liquor etc. Also be advised about the "cooling fee" they charge for ANY cold drink and certain other items.

At the checkout the young boy who packed the groceries stood in front of our cart and asked for money for putting stuff into the cart. He was aggresive in asking.

Not the best place to shop

Are there any groceries which do not charge a cooling fee?

Thanks for the update. I have noticed some of the "bag boys" can be quite insistant about a tip for bagging. I don't find that to be very smart on the grocery owners part to let that happen. I also noticed the Arubans are not asked for tips.

Aruba since 1979
    re: the baggers at some of the grocery stores

i am UNsure if it is for all grocery stores, but i do know at SUper Food.......
    the young people that do the bagging and then bring the stuff out to the car for you are UNpaid.
    their only compensation is tips.

so next time in aruba, if one of these young people offers assistance, please remember that their only source of pay is the tip.

as for some/few (?) of them being insistent, that is to be expected i suppose
    too bad though. sometimes the grocery store is the real first interchange between arubans and tourists. would hate to think a tip insistent would leave a sour taste in people's mouths.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Thanks for the update. I have noticed some of the "bag boys" can be quite insistant about a tip for bagging. I don't find that to be very smart on the grocery owners part to let that happen. I also noticed the Arubans are not asked for tips.

If memory serves..the barges come in on Thursdays with Fresh everything...is that still the case?

Aruba since 1979
    The container ships come in mostly on Thursday but there are many instances where they are late or early.

hmmm. I arrive on a Tuesday and would normally shop the first full day...looks like I'll wait so I can get fresh stuff (not to mention the shelves could be bare on Wed).

Aruba since 1979
    over the last couple of years we have found that a better supply (more plentiful) of milk has been brought in from the container ships. the grocery store employees call it "miami milk". (meaning shipped in from the states.)

thursday used to be the day that all of the stores got their milk and by friday the milk would be gone.

that is not the case anymore...........except holiday weeks.

milk is in better supply these days.

the bakery dept of Lings and Superfood have fresh baked goods daily.

a grocery store usually not mentioned much is CHENGS (or CHANGS).
    they are located on the road where the new supermarket is being built. perpendicular to the Tropicana resort.
    Chengs although small and difficult parking, often has a supply of stuff that one may need. milk, beer, wine etc... and they are open all day on sundays! chengs reminds me of the "old" grocery stores, mom and pop type stores, where one could find most everything.

QUOTE=elisabeth_nj;233129]hmmm. I arrive on a Tuesday and would normally shop the first full day...looks like I'll wait so I can get fresh stuff (not to mention the shelves could be bare on Wed).[/QUOTE

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast