Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Palapa shade purchase

Palapa shade purchase

Hello all,

We have a large group heading to the Surf Club in two weeks. Any recommendations on where to buy our own palapas/umbrellas?

Trying to avoid the mad rush to reserve them....

Thank you,

Jeff

All event number is first come .Have fun
    we just got back .
    ginette

Bringing or purchasing your own umbrellas is going to be difficult. The winds are just too strong to really hold an umbrella down safely.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Bringing or purchasing your own umbrellas is going to be difficult. The winds are just too strong to really hold an umbrella down safely.
    Ain't that the truth!

My parents are there now and since they rented a house and weren't sure which beach(es) they'd end up at, my father decided to bring along a portable "sunshade"-type umbrella. He emailed me the other day and said:

"You weren't kidding about the wind! Haven't even attempted to set up the sunshade...you'd need 36" stakes to hold it down. Afraid we'd be parasailing within a few minutes!"

Since you have such a large group I guess you can take turns getting up early.

Quote Originally Posted by chs4 View Post
    Since you have such a large group I guess you can take turns getting up early.
    Good idea!

Thanks guys....

Everyone would just make me get up early.

Well aware of the wind though been coming to Aruba for 22 years (we bought our first timeshare on our honeymoon back then).

Was hopin to find a better quality stake in type I could purchase on the island, kinda like one that those rental places would dig a hole for you after you choose a spot.

Thanks again!

Jeff

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,

Thumbs up

>>> "where to buy our own palapas/umbrellas?"
    ----- Must be your first trip to Aruba. In the winds that you get in Aruba a normal palapas/umbrella would not last a half hour. Resorts usually sinks small telephone type poles in the sand and built palapas up from that. Usually using a wood frame roof with palm tree leaves as the roof. A umbrella that we in the States use on the beach would be sailing out to sea in a few minutes.
    But that breeze is great as with it you do not feel the heat/humidity.

sun shade at beach besides palappas?

Is there any other form of shade from the sun on the beach??? umbrellas maybe? Im travelling with a toddler and dont want to get down super early at the marriott or wait on line for a pallapas. We only spend 2-3 hours per day sitting at the beach so what are the other alternatives.

cabana tents???

how would a cabana tent deal with the wind? I could fill it with weight(sandbags). they would be fairly easy to pack in a suitcase as they pop up and weigh 4 pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by kapitan95 View Post
    how would a cabana tent deal with the wind? I could fill it with weight(sandbags). they would be fairly easy to pack in a suitcase as they pop up and weigh 4 pounds.
    We thought we'd try the cabana, too. It lasted all of about 10 minutes! They are too flimsy and don't withstand the Aruba winds at all. Weighing it down wasn't the issue - the stakes held it into the ground no problem. The winds, however, blew against the top of the cabana so much, that it broke one of the supports! It ended up in the trash, and I'm sure we provided plenty of entertainment for the rest of the beach-goers that day!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast