Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Palapa shade purchase

Anyone Had Experience With Pop Up Beach Canopies?

I am concerned about the amount of palapas or shade available at the various beaches. I wanted to know if anyone has ever purchased a pop up beach shelter and if so, what has been your experience with them?? Or has anyone seen them around in Aruba?

That Aruban sun has me really concerned, so I would like to explore this option. Also, would like to find a sturdy shelter to hold up to the strong wind.

Quote Originally Posted by EHampite View Post
    We thought we'd try the cabana, too. It lasted all of about 10 minutes! They are too flimsy and don't withstand the Aruba winds at all.

eagle beach, baby beach, rogers beach, downtown, harley store......
    Might as well add my two cents in here. About 12 yrs ago my husband thought it would be nice to bring a little pop up tent to the beach also, I told him, its gonna blow away ha ha ha. Nahh, its not gonna go anywhere ha ha ha!!! Well he decided to cut holes in it so the wind would go thru it AAAHHHHHHHHH, yeah right, the wind went into it and lifted it up and away it flew ha ha ha ha!!!!!! It was a moment.

Aruba since 1979
    when those portable shelters become airborne it is very dangerous.
    they are projectiles.
    so unfunny..........and so dangerous.

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    When we stayed a Bucuti there was never a problem getting a palapa at any time -- more palapas , less people! Last year, at the Holiday Inn, we didn't want to get up early! We usually did a little exploring in the morning, and then later when we went to the beach we usually found at least a spot under a palm tree, and eventually a palapa would free up and we'd take it over!

I will do a proper trip report next week when I am home and will address the entire palapas situation at the Surf Club vis a vie the other resorts.

As far as shade goes, there are tons of "Bimini" chairs at the Surf Club that provide a great amount of shade. I think in my photo gallery I have pictures of the chairs. They have little roofs on them and are excellent. However, you can only use them behind the third row of palapas. They were getting too dangerous up front as the wind would carry them away and they took up far too much room.

The Bimini chairs are plentiful so you will have no issue getting a large number of them. If you are a large group, you are best off sitting more towards the back area where there is lots of room.

With respect to the tents, people bring them down in Christmas but this past year they have become very strict with their usage. Firstly, most of them do not survive the winds as many of you have written about. However, the government is now enforcing a rule that each "structure" must be taken down at night. At the Surf Club they had specific areas in which you could put them up and I think you also needed a permit but I am not certain on that point. Everyone got a letter in our room during the busy season that all of the tents had to removed by 6 pm daily.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Under a hut, walking Eagle Beach, lunch on the beach, Amstel Bright Beer on the beach, coffee in the morning on the beach, taking a dip in the sea,

Thumbs up

>>>> "Im travelling with a toddler"
    Over 15 years ago when our infant grandsons would come we would use their infant car seat. Could sleep with us of course under a hut. Also it was great to use waiting at airport and going out to dinner.

Any info on this subject would be great! I would really hate to spend money on a sun shelter now, and not be able to use it because the wind is too much, or be hassled because of the nature of it. We would never leave it behind, and would always disassemble before leaving the beach. I'm surprised to read that people actually left them up .I'm presently looking at shelters(ex. Eureka) that can be put up in just a couple of minutes. We would also be very conscientious of our neighbor's proximity and space. We first got the idea when we went to Kauai, and it's more so for future Hawaiian trips than anything. It's just that it sure would be nice to not worry about shade while in Aruba. We are staying at Oceania, but will be visiting several beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I will do a proper trip report next week when I am home and will address the entire palapas situation at the Surf Club vis a vie the other resorts.

As far as shade goes, there are tons of "Bimini" chairs at the Surf Club that provide a great amount of shade. I think in my photo gallery I have pictures of the chairs. They have little roofs on them and are excellent. However, you can only use them behind the third row of palapas. They were getting too dangerous up front as the wind would carry them away and they took up far too much room.

The Bimini chairs are plentiful so you will have no issue getting a large number of them. If you are a large group, you are best off sitting more towards the back area where there is lots of room.

With respect to the tents, people bring them down in Christmas but this past year they have become very strict with their usage. Firstly, most of them do not survive the winds as many of you have written about. However, the government is now enforcing a rule that each "structure" must be taken down at night. At the Surf Club they had specific areas in which you could put them up and I think you also needed a permit but I am not certain on that point. Everyone got a letter in our room during the busy season that all of the tents had to removed by 6 pm daily.

Is this the model you are looking at?

You are traveling the end of April/ beginning of May?

The above will surely not hold up to the wind.

April
    Average wind speed 18 mph
    Average maximum wind speed 34 mph

May
    Average wind speed 19 mph
    Average maximum wind speed 35 mph

Quote Originally Posted by EHampite View Post
    We thought we'd try the cabana, too. It lasted all of about 10 minutes! They are too flimsy and don't withstand the Aruba winds at all. Weighing it down wasn't the issue - the stakes held it into the ground no problem. The winds, however, blew against the top of the cabana so much, that it broke one of the supports! It ended up in the trash, and I'm sure we provided plenty of entertainment for the rest of the beach-goers that day!!

Quote Originally Posted by TomFrederick View Post
    Must be your first trip to Aruba. In the winds that you get in Aruba a normal palapas/umbrella would not last a half hour.

Exactly! That's the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Is this the model you are looking at?

You are traveling the end of April/ beginning of May?

The above will surely not hold up to the wind.

April
    Average wind speed 18 mph
    Average maximum wind speed 34 mph

May
    Average wind speed 19 mph
    Average maximum wind speed 35 mph

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast