Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuperMarket & milk question

Question SuperMarket & milk question

Hi Everyone,

we will be doing to Aruba in May for the first time. And i have a few questions...

We will be staying at the Marriott Aruba Ocean Club and rented a villa for a week.
    1- Since I have (then) a 19 month old daughter I am worried about the milk. I did some research and saw that Ling & Sons carries "American" milk. Are there any other supermarkets taht carry "American" milk?
    2-Also, i wanted to shop for the week on food, so is this grocery store my best option? I saw its 10 minutes (by car) from our hotel, however i think the Certified Grocery is closer to us? am i correct?
    3-And do you recommend i rent a car for the day so I can go shop, or taking a
    cab is ok?

ANd lastly,
    4- what kind of weather should we expect in may?

thanks in advance

2-Also, i wanted to shop for the week on food, so is this grocery store my best option? I saw its 10 minutes (by car) from our hotel, however i think the Certified Grocery is closer to us? am i correct?
    http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=12.5311883&lon=-70.0502443&z=17&l=0&m=a&v=2 all of the supermarkets are located in the same area. You would need to get back to the resort by car or taxi. You could take the bus there, but groceries for a week would be tough dragging back on the bus. The supermarket will call a taxi for you.

3-And do you recommend i rent a car for the day so I can go shop, or taking a cab is ok?
    Personal preference. Just to go grocery shopping, a taxi is less expensive.
    Taxi will be about $10 + $2 for use of the trunk, each way. A car rental, for a compact will run you about $30 a day.

what kind of weather should we expect in may?
    May weather
    Average high temperature 89 F.
    Average low temperature 79 F.
    Average temperature 83 F.
    Average water temperature 81 F.
    Average rainfall .55 inches (20.3 inches annual)
    Average windspeed 18 mph

We buy American milk at Kong Hing altho all of the supermarkets carry it. They have McGuire, Borden and I believe Carnation and they carry regular milk, 1%, 2% and skim. Never had a problem with any kind I have bought. All of the supermarkets carry just about every American product you could want. Prices on items are in local money and when you check out the cashier will convert your total into dollars.

American milk arrives at the stores (ling and Sons) late afternoon Wednesday and most stores sell out Sat./Sun.

Grocery Shopping

There are two grocery stores. The one you mentioned and one practically next door BEFORE the Asian store coming from Marriott. I am owner at Marriott and in two weeks will spend my fourth time in Aruba. Get a handle on your facilities and then make a list. The condos have some amenities to help for at least a day: Laundry detergent, paper towels, tiny dishwashing soap. I also suggest renting a car through the hotel. My experience is that the cars are a little nicer through hotel although I cannot tell you if there is a price difference. My friends and I LIKED this other grocery store better. It had some recognizable products, liquor/wine section, fresh cheese, bread, coffee, diapers etc. We went only twice to grocery store. We picked up cold cuts, snacks, baggies, tiny condiments, juices, and some water bottles that we could refill and freeze in freezer to take on the beach. Cheese, crackers, grapes and carrots granola bars were easy to pack in beach bag. We also made sandwiches. The people are helpful and this store carries a lot of Dutch products. We discovered some packaged waffles that were to die for!! Does this help?Hope so.

Aruba since 1979
    yup they will sell out
    we always bring a container or 2 of parmalat which is the super ultra homogenized milk sold in the non refrigerator section of grocery stores.

it is good tasting and is a great substitute when the bordens or the macarthur or as the arubans say "miami milk" runs out.
    the skim/fat free paarmalat tastes like 2% the 1% parmalat tastes like whole milk......honestly. parmalat whole milk is a grat substitute for 1/2 1/2 cream.
    andrea

Quote Originally Posted by MARK68 View Post
    American milk arrives at the stores (ling and Sons) late afternoon Wednesday and most stores sell out Sat./Sun.

yikes, thanks everyone!
    i dont know what Parmalat is? I am from canada and Parmalat is a milk brand that is sold only in the fride...
    Is Carnation the same thing?
    I will be taking with me a Thermos with milk inside that will be enough for 2 bottles ... now i am worried

The milk for Kong hing and ling and sons arrives mid afternoon on Friday. We go to the grocery store Friday late afternoon or Saturday or we don't get American milk. When we arrive Saturday, we drop our bags and make the grocery store the first thing we do!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

we are arriving saturday at 2:45 pm
    i will try to call and see if i can pay them in advance and they reserve me some...

does the hotels carry them (i dont mind paying more!)

yes the hotel does but the grocery store stays open until 8pm on Saturday.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast