Aruba Beach
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By AndyM
  • 3 Post By spongebob
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.

Thread: TREASURES Fine Jewellery. Where NOT to buy a diamond ring

TREASURES Fine Jewellery. Where NOT to buy a diamond ring

On our last day last year my wife bought a gold ring with two diamond set either side a choice for the large centre stone to be set.
    We picked a one carat diamond that I had examined with the jewellers eye glass (not too much carbon) I paid a $300 deposit and the remaining $2,700 in cash that evening when he delivered the ring to the Tamarijn Reception, with the promise of posting the rings appraisal.
    My wife was delighted with the ring and we left the next morning.
    On returning home to England I noticed with my eye glass that the jeweller had switched the centre stone we choose for one with a very deep scratch on the top surface. I tried two emails but got no response and never received the rings appraisal.

We go to Aruba each year and went back to his shop this year, he immediately recognised us.
    I politely explained we somehow got sold a damaged flawed centre stone and it was not the one we had chosen and also no written appraisal from our deal last year. He examined the ring and then denied switching the stone. Then said he could polish the scratch out but we would lose 20% of the diamond or pay about another thousand for a different stone as prices had risen since last year and still would not write a written appraisal while looking at our reciept.

As if I am going to pay more $$$$ to a con man. So I left him with the promise of writing his shop a review. So we would advise anyone to avoid TREASURES havenstraat 31-A Oranjestad when shopping for jewellery while in Aruba.

We would just like to say we have bought jewellery in four other shops over the years in Aruba with cash and have never had a problem.

Aruba since 1979
    I am sad to see this is your first posting on the aruba.com forum.
    Welcome.
    You never tried calling them? Waited a year ?

Your 2nd to last paragraph troubles me as it implies your only reason for posting is the bad review purpose.

Yes we did try to contact him with no replies and no appraisal either.
    As you can imagine a flawed diamond is not something very easy to value.

We go to Aruba every year, sometimes twice so we decided we would just visit him.
    I like to add we have bought from four other jewellers in Aruba and have always had a great service

Your assumption is correct we were asked by a member of aruba-bb.com forum to circulate this story, so as to protect other visitors to the Island.

Aruba since 1979
    hi spongebob

the other aruba bulletin boards/forum are unrelated to this one.

your posting treads a real fine line:
    per the rules:

• Do not make any statement, accusation, comment, or opinion that may be considered (a) harmful to, libellous or slanderous to, any person, country or company.

I am allowing your posting to stay as I really "feel your pain and understand that you feel you were taken". Costly and frustrating indeed.
    This is a very different kind of posting than.... My dinner at X was lousy and the service was slow.

My supervisor at the Aruba Tourism Association office may have a different opinion than I, and ask that I remove it.
    If that happens, and I am asked to remove it, I will let you know.

The other aruba bulletin boards are parts of for profit private marketing companies (which is perfectly fine).
    This one, Aruba.com/forum is owned, managed by the Aruba Toruism Authority.....an arm of the Dept. of Tourism of Aruba N.A.

Does this particular jewelry store have a facebook page?
    You may need to visit that page if it exists.

Quote Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
    Yes we did try to contact him with no replies and no appraisal either.
    As you can imagine a flawed diamond is not something very easy to value.

We go to Aruba every year, sometimes twice so we decided we would just visit him.
    I like to add we have bought from four other jewellers in Aruba and have always had a great service

Your assumption is correct we were asked by a member of aruba-bb.com forum to circulate this story, so as to protect other visitors to the Island.

I think it's great that many of us, myself included, have found reputable jewelers in whom we have confidence. Sadly, some of us had bad experiences before we found those good relationships.

Aruba, just like everywhere in the world, has good and bad people and businesses. I think that overall Aruba is a wonderful place to vacation.

Agree with Andy. While on a cruise we were looking at jewelry. Was just about to purchase something when this man ask if he could speak to me..
    I excused myself ... he told me he was a jeweler in the states and the stuff this guy had was not real..
    So went back to DH and told him that "uncle Joe" told me not to buy the stuff... it was fake.
    Yes Aruba is a wonderful place to visit.. my favorite island as well.

Hi Andrea J

We just felt this was the only action we could take as TREASURES jewellers were unwilling in any way to resolve the situation unless we paid in access of $1000 more.

I calmly made him aware when leaving that he had left me no other choice than to share the story on the internet.

We do respect your judgement on this issue and would except any direction you or the Aruba Tourism Association office take.

Regards Ken & Sharon from England

Aruba since 1979
    thanks
    i have not been given ANY instruction re: this, so it stays for now!

years ago, probably 1999 or 2000, my son (now age 30) went into a jewelry store on one of the back streets behind the renaissance

he insisted on buying a horse head design ring.

it was his money. he and his friend were about 13 yrs old.

they went in, kevin bought the ring, but i cannot remember ...there was an issue with the ring.
    kevin and ben went back and the jeweler would not even speak with kevin and take a look at the ring.

kevin relayed this to us his parents.........momma and pappa bear were now poked....someone was trying to screw our kid.
    well that jeweler was VERY sorry he ever tried to mess with a kid.
    we left that jewelry store, with the kid's $$ in his pocket, and us broadcasting around just how evil this jeweler truly was!!

Quote Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
    Hi Andrea J

We just felt this was the only action we could take as TREASURES jewellers were unwilling in any way to resolve the situation unless we paid in access of $1000 more.

I calmly made him aware when leaving that he had left me no other choice than to share the story on the internet.

We do respect your judgement on this issue and would except any direction you or the Aruba Tourism Association office take.

Regards Ken & Sharon from England

Yes Andrea J that sounds like he took advantage due to your son's age. I am happy for Kevin that he got his money back and he should be glad he has parents that show concern and ACT.

I think our Treasures jewellers took advantage due to our old age that's left us both with poor eyesight.

I would like to jump in here...
    The power of the internet is something that can be a powerful instrument. I am very glad that Spongebob posted his experience with Treasures Jewelers. It is important to know about stores (or restaurants for that matter) that do not give good customer service. We all look on this website for good recommendations for Jewelers, restaurants, hotels, excursions, etc. This forum is for the good, bad or otherwise.

Remember about ten years ago our little issue with Avis? The power of this BB we were all able to get Avis to honour our rental rates due to a glitch in their computer system. The internet/BB's can be a very useful tool in trying to remedy an issue.

So to that end, I am sorry for spongebob's experience. We have used Kay's (Joe) for almost 15 years and never had an issue with them at all. We bought many items over the years and it is always what was promised and delivered.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents