Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Venezuelans buying lots of beer?

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Thanks for sharing your story, ace2063.

On my vacation in Aruba in 2010, I noticed a gentleman at Houston airport (he had accidentally taken the seat I was in before in the waiting area) who had this melancholic, a bit sad eyes like Dr. Zhivago (the movie). When boarding the airplane, he was in business class and nodded politely while I went by. Then, at the carousel to pick up my suitcase, he was across to get his large, old-fashioned suitcase. But the weirdest thing: when I was at the reception at my little apartment complex, he came walking in! My mischievous inner child just said: "Are you following me?" LOL I knew this was not the case as he was a perfect gentleman, very decent and respectful. And his response was "Nooooo". But we had a good laugh. He was interested to take his family for a vacation to Aruba. He told me that he had never been to Aruba only for a layover a couple of hours and he had never been further than to the Fisherman's Huts area. As I was ready to go on my exploring the northside of Aruba trip, I offered to be his tour guide for the day. So, off we went! To the California Lighthouse, Alto Vista Chapel, Ostrich farm to have a refreshing drink (juice and water), Natural Bridge but on the way to the Ayo and Calibari Rock Formation, we got lost. I was a lousy co-pilot and navigator as I could not remember how to get there! LOL But that was part of the fun. He dropped me later off at my apartment complex where he took his family to a few weeks later.

I also met a very nice and pretty young lady in the Renaissance Mall store. She chatted a while and she told me that she was from Venezuela and got married to a nice Aruban man.

And a very nice and polite young man who was a waiter at an Italian restaurant, he was from Colombia, brought his family to Aruba and his dream was to open his own restaurant in New York City.

It's heartbreaking that those very beautiful countries like Venezuela or Colombia have such difficult and corrupt governments which leaves so many people so poor.

This article was printed in the Sunday edition of one of the local newspapers in Trinidad and Tobago, like Aruba there has been an influx of Venezuelans into the islands over the last few years.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,219637.html

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Thanks for sharing this article, vallond. It explains a lot. Sad to see that a government can ruin a whole country.

Yes thanks for sharing. Reminds me of Robin Williams Movie Moscow on the Hudson where he played a musician from the soviet union how had to get on long lines just for toilet paper. I've never been to Trinadad but was in Tobago which is a beautiful city and gorgeous beaches, pigeon point for snorkeling, scuba diving. Nice country and everybody had a new car, new highways etc. I can see why they would want to go there.

So now we know its not just Aruba.

Good article. So sad to read though. I can't imagine living that way.

Quote Originally Posted by vallond View Post
    This article was printed in the Sunday edition of one of the local newspapers in Trinidad and Tobago, like Aruba there has been an influx of Venezuelans into the islands over the last few years.

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,219637.html
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

There is a need to be a little more vigilant in guarding your possessions, whether at the beach, in your car or visible in your accommodation. 2 weeks ago at 4:30am a Venezuelan guy tried to pry open our door to the patio. Our guests awoke and caught him in the act. We believe he was also the one responsible for a 3:00amish breakin. Again with guests in the house sleeping. The desperation of these folks was evident in what was stolen. While there were some items...portable radio, laptop etc. None of these items were taken. Instead, what was taken was all the frozen food and milk, bread, and things from our fridge. The police couldn't believe it but did indicate that there are cells operating in different areas of the island.

Sad

keep A close eye on your things

john

Oh my. Where you staying at a resort? What about security?

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    although this is sad, as a person who worked in the court system my whole adult life, things do and will escalate unless the Aruban Government gets a handle on it. What always starts out as basic survival changes over time. Its just the way it is. Aruba survives on tourism. I'm not saying these are bad people to start but when people get desperate, they get careless.

Quote Originally Posted by ace2063 View Post
    Oh my. Where you staying at a resort? What about security?
    Private home in secure upscale area

Aruba since 1979
    is your neighborhood now gated?
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Private home in secure upscale area

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast