Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: where is best shopping place to buy

where is best shopping place to buy

backpack or beach bags? sun dresses? jewelry (not expensive kind)? i've been to the mall/plaza in palm beach but looking for more authentic, handmade stuff, etc...somewhere near downtown? and where there is best parking - have rental car...

thanks in advance~

i'm back solo in aruba!! until june 5 this time and loving every minute of it.
    Last edited by caromelle; 05-22-2012 at 04:27 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    across the street from the cruise terminal are a few permanent kiosks selling that kind of stuff.
    also same kind of stuff along the waterfront across from Little Switzerland and alongside the Paddock.

unsure how authentic everything is.....(made in china?)
    Quote Originally Posted by caromelle View Post
    backpack or beach bags? sun dresses? jewelry (not expensive kind)? i've been to the mall/plaza in palm beach but looking for more authentic, handmade stuff, etc...somewhere near downtown? and where there is best parking - have rental car...

thanks in advance~

i'm back solo in aruba!! until june 5 this time and loving every minute of it.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    as Andrea said, across from the cruise terminals and on the same side of the water downtown are kiosks that sell everything. I can tell you this. I purchased a beautiful bracelet at a kiosk at the Paseo Herencia (high rise) and they had the same bracelet there for half the price. I also noticed tons of other things they had the same as the kiosks at Paseo which were cheaper. It took two trips to Aruba, we're going on our 3rd this year, to realize not to purchase at Paseo until i've scoured the downtown area first, lol. also the flea market has some great jewelry at great prices along with long dresses, t shirts, etc. I think Lisa already gave the hours of the flea market which I don't remember but it is only on the weekends (sat & sun).

But don't get me wrong, Paseo and the kiosks along the street of the high rise have some interesting kiosks, too. If I were you, I'd walk the street of the high rise, check out everything, take a trip downtown and then come back and check out again the kiosks in the high rise.

If you are looking for regular department store type items, there is La Linda department store in Oranjestad.

are the kiosks you mention the ones that are lined up along the water, across from renaissance? or am i to go further down?

thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by caromelle View Post
    are the kiosks you mention the ones that are lined up along the water, across from renaissance? or am i to go further down?

thank you!
    That is correct. There is parking right there as well, unfortunately unless you are early the lot is usually quite full

Aruba since 1979
    also too, on weekend mornings-afternoons, the flea mkt in the area across from the old bushiri and a couple of hundred yds past certified mall has some pretty decent souvenirs
    too.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    the flea market that Andrea mentioned is pretty good. And they are very nice, not that trying to shove an item down your throat type of flea market. they open at "8" but are never really set up so if you go, I would wait til about 9 or 9:30 for all the stalls to be open.

I plan on making it to the flea market on my next trip. While we have passed it many times while riding in the bus we've never stopped in. My mission has been to find a handcrafted piece of jewelry made from a djuo nut. I've read a few articles about how they originate from Venzuela and wash up on the shores of Aruba. When you rub them they are supposed to get warm. They are also said to bring good luck and good health. The articles always go on to say that they are commonly polished and decorated with gold filigree and sold on the island in jewelry stores. Coming up on trip number seven and haven't found one yet but it sure is a great excuse to shop!

Djuo Nut Jewelry

I have purchased a necklace with the Djuo Nut in one of the huts (by cruise terminal). It's a local lady that makes them. If I remember correctly, her hut is one of the first ones you come to (if coming from cruise terminal area). It is on like a leather type cord, but looks very nice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast