Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to find Cuban Cigars in Aruba?

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by vincep View Post
    The worst that they do in practice when a tourist brings a "few" into the country is confiscate them. All you need to do is take the bands off of them. If you do that, there is no way they can prove the cigars are Cuban.

If customs asks, you tell them they are "Aruban" Cigars. Just list them that way on the customs form.

Going back to the other thread, It's kind of hard to hide the fact that fruit is fruit.
    Nah, I would be just too honest to do that. And the risk is too high, IMO.

But I just came across this post from another Tripadvicor:

6. Re: cuban cigars in aruba
    Dec 25, 2008, 1:58 PM
    Importing Cubans is still illegal into the United States...smuggle at your own risk.
    Benlo Cigars in Arowak Gardens (next to Salt & Pepper) in the high rise area runs daily discount ads in Aruba Today newspaper and has a nice selection of genuine Cubans.
    My personal opinion is that all the great growers took their stock seeds to central america years ago and easily rival anything Cuba can produce. Plus you pay a permium for the mystique.
    Aruhiba, grown on the island, is not a bad smoke for a few dollars per stick. The shop is located by the windmill.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...tad_Aruba.html
    Last edited by CK1; 08-29-2013 at 01:25 AM.

Aruba since 1979
    My husband swears by the aruba auhiba cigar. Loves them almost as much as the Cubans.
    Quote Originally Posted by CK1 View Post
    Nah, I would be just too honest to do that. And the risk is too high, IMO.

But I just came across this post from another Tripadvicor:

6. Re: cuban cigars in aruba
    Dec 25, 2008, 1:58 PM
    Importing Cubans is still illegal into the United States...smuggle at your own risk.
    Benlo Cigars in Arowak Gardens (next to Salt & Pepper) in the high rise area runs daily discount ads in Aruba Today newspaper and has a nice selection of genuine Cubans.
    My personal opinion is that all the great growers took their stock seeds to central america years ago and easily rival anything Cuba can produce. Plus you pay a permium for the mystique.
    Aruhiba, grown on the island, is not a bad smoke for a few dollars per stick. The shop is located by the windmill.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic...tad_Aruba.html

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    My husband swears by the aruba auhiba cigar. Loves them almost as much as the Cubans.
    That's great and a good alternative to the Cuban cigars, IMO.

Plus you pay a permium for the mystique.
    Pretty much. Cubans are good but so are other cigars.

I think that is the worst case scenario if you were trying to bring back say a whole suitcase full. From all the stories I have heard sually they are just taken and no fine or jail time is given. Last year I bought several cuban cigars from a shop in Aruba. Told the lady I would buy 4 cigars if she took $1 off each one and she agreed. Brought them back in my carry on luggage and did not have any problems. I think it is just random that they check. The reason why I think it is random is because there was a note in my friends checked baggage that it was searched, buy my baggage was not searched.

As I just posted on another thread the "Prohibited and Restricted Items" to bring into the US, out of curiosity I checked on the Cuban's cigar.

And look, what I found! WOW! Nothing "cheap" about that anymore. Kind of unbelievable! But I would most definitely NOT take the risk!

Cuban-made Products

There is a total ban on the importation into the United States of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products. This prohibition extends to such products acquired in Cuba, irrespective of whether a traveler is licensed by Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC) to engage in Cuba travel-related transactions, and to such products acquired in third countries by any U.S. Traveler, including purchases at duty-free shops. Contrary to what many people may believe, it is illegal for travelers to bring into the United States Cuban cigars acquired in third countries, such as Canada, United Kingdom, or Mexico.

Importation of Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products is prohibited whether the goods are purchased by the importer or given to the importer as a gift. Similarly, the import ban extends to Cuban-origin cigars and other Cuban-origin tobacco products offered for sale over the Internet or through a catalog.

It is also illegal for U.S. persons to buy, sell, trade, or otherwise engage in transactions involving illegally-imported Cuban cigars. The penalties for doing so include, in addition to confiscation of the cigars, civil fines of up to $55,000 per violation and in appropriate cases, criminal prosecution which may result in higher fines and/or imprisonment.

These prohibitions are applicable to all goods of Cuban origin and are an important element of the comprehensive program of economic sanctions against the Cuban Government which have been in place since 1963. Those sanctions have had the support of the last seven Administrations.

The U.S. Treasury Department, Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), administers the embargo of Cuba. Suspected embargo violations may be reported telephonically to OFAC Enforcement Division at (202) 622-2430 or via facsimile at (202) 622-1657.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id...anmadeProducts

Aruba since 1979
    Or customs requires you to prove they are "not Cuban".
    Importation of Cuban cigars to the USA is still illegal.

The Aruba Tourism Authority (an agency of the Aruban Gvmt, now somewhat privatized) has established rules for this forum.
    One of them is as follows:
    • Do not intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, including but not limited to any regulations having the force of law while using or accessing "Aruba.com Community Forum" or in connection with your use of "Aruba.com Community Forum" in any manner.

So, i respectfully ask that the conversation on this thread about "ways to bring in Cuban Cigars" ends.
    Sorry

I'm sorry. I didn't realize that my previous post was deleted; otherwise I wouldn't have posted again on the subject.

I can't tell much about the prices but Garufa Cigar and Cocktail lounge on wilheminastraat in O'stad has cuban cigars, This site has good articles http://www.swisscubancigars.com/blog...a-cuban-cigar/
    Last edited by charlespe; 08-26-2014 at 03:14 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    sorry Garufa closed about a year and half ago

Quote Originally Posted by charlespe View Post
    I can't tell much about the prices but Garufa Cigar and Cocktail lounge on wilheminastraat in O'stad has cuban cigars

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12