Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to buy jewelry in Aruba!

Aruba since 1979
    your situation with gandlemans is horrible.
    have you been in communications with them?
    do you still have your receipt and the appraisal that they gave you when you bought the ring?

when you go back to aruba, go armed with the paperwork.
    also too, print out this thread so you can show them that you will state your dissatisfaction online.

hold the line and do not budge.

i would be so po'd that i would bring in a police officer with me and claim robbery!!
    i would be standing outside the store with a sign saying Buyer Beware.

( i stood outside a vet's office with a sign saying THEY LOST MY GRANDMOTHER'S CAT. brought the cat in for spaying, went to pick it up and they tried to give me a replacement kitty instead....saying the cat died in surgery. I demanded the body which they could not produce..finally admitted that the cat escaped thru an open door i hope that i kept at least one new patient away. a friend did the same to a car dealership that pretty much held her hostage til she made the purchase. she was intimidated and they held her license. the consumer has power and should use it.)

deceit is terrible and you can and should make waves...........firmly, with class and politeness. follow thru !

ok i will get off my soapbox.

sorry
    andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by mjn109 View Post
    All I can say is buyer beware! My husband bought me what we thought and were told was a beautiful diamond and sapphire ring set in gold at Gandelmens the day we were leaving this past January. It was a bit small so I asked the sales lady if it could be sized, she said yes and asked when we were leaving, (that day)so I say I would have to do it in the states.

When I got back here, I took it to two reputable jewlers and they both told me the gold was NOT real and neither were the stones & they could not size it because of that fact. I was heartbroken. We don't have alot of money to buy jewlery, we are newlyweds (2yrs almost) and since we bought it on the island where we had our honeymoon, the ring meant alot to me. We are going back to the island with my family in January and are taking it back with the receipt & telling them what happend before we even check in to our hotel. I don't know if they'll help, all I want is for it to be sized so I can wear it, I don't want my money back, I just want to be able to wear it because as of right now I have a $125 ring just sitting in a box.

When we were there in april my daughter wanted a sapphire ring, we were in a place called Germani maybe???? they have a store in the marriott ocean club too. anyway she saw this ring was in love with it but I kept saying it looked like a tanzanite well she couldn't make up her mind so they were going to give us a day to think about it, we were to pick it up at the marriott store. Well when the clerk opened the pouch and said "oh what a pretty tanzanite ring" I thought my daughter was going to die. Needless to say we didn't purchase it, she found a sapphire at Columbian Jewelers at the Marriott hotel that is gorgeous...and a true saphire.

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by sunworshipperII View Post
    When we were there in april my daughter wanted a sapphire ring, we were in a place called Germani maybe???? they have a store in the marriott ocean club too. anyway she saw this ring was in love with it but I kept saying it looked like a tanzanite well she couldn't make up her mind so they were going to give us a day to think about it, we were to pick it up at the marriott store. Well when the clerk opened the pouch and said "oh what a pretty tanzanite ring" I thought my daughter was going to die. Needless to say we didn't purchase it, she found a sapphire at Columbian Jewelers at the Marriott hotel that is gorgeous...and a true saphire.
    If she loved it, why did the type of stone make a difference?

Aruba since 1979
    i think and i may be wrong that the point being made is deception or ignorance by the clerk or trust worthiness.

if i bought a tanzanite and was told it was a sapphire or vice versa, i would be unhappy and feel cheated.

just my opinion

andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by Chadd View Post
    If she loved it, why did the type of stone make a difference?

Alto Vista Chapel, Renaissance Island, Arashi Beach

Thumbs up Buying jewelry in Aruba

My husband and I have dealt with Gandelman's for many years. Purchased many beautiful pieces and a Rolex watch. Needed an extra gold link for the watch a year ago, and they had a reputable jewelery repair shop upstairs and added the link before our eyes. This store sells high end jewelry! They are terrific!

Another winner in Aruba is Kays ! Great family business. They even sold my son his engagement ring, and the appraisal here was off the charts. Tell Ash that his friends from Elma, NY sent you.

Keep the Faith,
    Susan

Next Aruba trip in

We use Noble Jewelers. We purchased a hearts on fire band and three loose diamonds made into a ring. Also purchase a beautiful tanzanite and emerald as well as some other smaller purchases. These are great. All have been appraised higher in the US.

The beach, Boca Prins & just about anywhere with my husband!
    Thank you all for your advice! And Andrea, thanks for getting on your soapbox because I am right up there with you!!

Honestly, it never crossed my mind to call Gandelmans from here when we discovered their dishonesty. And we also didn't think we were going back to the island any time soon until about two weeks ago when my mom started planning another family trip. So we are DEFINATELY going back to the store with the receipts in hand and going to demand them either size the ring so I can wear it as they originally stated the could, or give me my money back. I just want to be able to wear it because it means something both to my husband and I. We wonder now if they knew it was not genuine gold and that is why they said they could size it and didn't really reply when I said I would have to do it in the states?? just a thought my husband had...really unfortunate. Lesson Learned!

wnysnow-I am glad for you that you have had luck with them in the past and I do hope that continues for you ; )
    Last edited by mjn109; 08-05-2009 at 02:08 PM.

Aruba since 1979
    ok here is the "mom" in me speaking.

i am being overbearing, bossy and pushy and i admit it right up front.

Please do not let them size the ring.
    Please get your money back.
    you paid $ X for your ring and the stones were fake and the gold not real.
    it also does not fit.
    do it for all of us.
    do it for you.
    do it for me.
    i want justice for you.

in my next next life (being a horse farmer is in my next life) i'd like to be a consumer or health care advocate.

andrea

so
    Thank you all for your advice! And Andrea, thanks for getting on your soapbox because I am right up there with you!!

Honestly, it never crossed my mind to call Gandelmans from here when we discovered their dishonesty. And we also didn't think we were going back to the island any time soon until about two weeks ago when my mom started planning another family trip. So we are DEFINATELY going back to the store with the receipts in hand and going to demand them either size the ring so I can wear it as they originally stated the could, or give me my money back. I just want to be able to wear it because it means something both to my husband and I. We wonder now if they knew it was not genuine gold and that is why they said they could size it and didn't really reply when I said I would have to do it in the states?? just a thought my husband had...really unfortunate. Lesson Learned!

wnysnow-I am glad for you that you have had luck with them in the past and I do hope that continues for you ; )

The beach, Boca Prins & just about anywhere with my husband!
    Andrea, your "mom-like"post made me smile!

I definately hear what you are saying!! And the thought did cross my mind...since they did give us false information about the ring and I really was devastated (and I think DH might have been a little too) when the jewelers here in CT told us it wasn't real at all(I took it to two reputable ones)...we are just too trusting of people! Especially in our favorite place on Earth to be-Aruba!

Since we now know we are going back to Aruba, DH and I will talk about what to do with the ring and then present our case to the company & see what they say...trust me, they will not pull a fast one on us this time, we are on to them!!!!!

As I get older I have learned to stick up for myself and also for my husband if need be and won't let them or anyone else take advantage of us! All of the information you all have given us has also added to the confidence we have to take these people on when we get there!

Thank you all so much!! My husband will be home tonight (finally) after working 60hrs straight at the firehouse, so we are going to gather our records for the ring and figure it all out!

I agree with Andrea.

They tried to pull a fast one, they knew that it was not real, and that it could not be sized, or they would have done it for you. It only takes a short time to resize a gold ring.

Make them give you your money back. If they don't I would stand outside the store for a couple hours (yes my time) and tell each person that walks up to the store that they sell fake items as real.

Andrea, your "mom-like"post made me smile!

I definately hear what you are saying!! And the thought did cross my mind...since they did give us false information about the ring and I really was devastated (and I think DH might have been a little too) when the jewelers here in CT told us it wasn't real at all(I took it to two reputable ones)...we are just too trusting of people! Especially in our favorite place on Earth to be-Aruba!

Since we now know we are going back to Aruba, DH and I will talk about what to do with the ring and then present our case to the company & see what they say...trust me, they will not pull a fast one on us this time, we are on to them!!!!!

As I get older I have learned to stick up for myself and also for my husband if need be and won't let them or anyone else take advantage of us! All of the information you all have given us has also added to the confidence we have to take these people on when we get there!

Thank you all so much!! My husband will be home tonight (finally) after working 60hrs straight at the firehouse, so we are going to gather our records for the ring and figure it all out!
    Decided to take down my timer!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast