Aruba Beach
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it to buy jewelry in Aruba!

I hear ya!

Ok I am really really late to this discussion and I wonder what happened to the newly wedded lady who bought a fake diamond and sapphire ring. However, if it's too good to be true, it usually is and if you read her first post she states "I have a $125 ring sitting in a box that I can't wear." I have never seen a real diamond and sapphire ring set in gold for that price even in India where my family is from and we've traveled to many many times. I agree it's wrong to deceive customers but I also agree with buyer beware and the buyer has a responsibility to know to the best of their ability, what they're getting into. Sometimes I look at our economic troubles, the mortgage crisis, credit card debts, and bankruptcy filing rate, etc., and honestly believe that a huge part of the problem in our society is that everyone wants something for nothing or next to nothing.
    I don't mean to offend as I'm guilty of it as well. I've learned some hard lessons getting ripped off. Also, I myself came upon this thread hoping to find cheap jewelry in Aruba but now I'm rethinking buying there. The whole issue is that if something is wrong, the store is thousands of miles away. I'm already upset that I went shopping in
    Buffalo yesterday and discovered back home in Toronto that Burberry forgot to take the giant alarm tags off my daughter's dress. No one will remove it here thinking it's stolen and I don't want to chance putting a whole in it. Now I have to call them and drive all the way back there and show the receipts (thank god I was honest and still have them instead of tossing to avoid border duty and taxes). What a pain! Imagine having a mistake made in
    Aruba? I think I'll pass.

The beach, Boca Prins & just about anywhere with my husband!
    The original price of the ring was much higher so I believed what the sales person told me.

I really hope i didnt offend you, thats not my intent. However, did you think it was at all odd that a diamond and sapphire ring was only $125? I have thought about it since last night and can see being caught up in the moment and romance of Aruba and thereby being more susceptible to a con. I apologize if I've put my foot in my mouth.
    So how did it all turn out? Did you get a new ring? Your money back? How can they get away with this? Yours is not the first jewelry scam story I've read in regards to shopping in the Carribean and it's almost as though these retailers rely on the fact that tourists are going home and therefore by the time they discover the scam, too late.

Aruba since 1979
    maybe mjn can explain further.
    they did not pay $125 for the ring.
    they paid much more.

they got all of their money back /full refund.

I have a number of items from Sean's...and they do well with descriptions and making jewelry for you. Have some 'designer' pieces from them as well. I always get them my jewelry appraised back in the States and have always been satisfied. John Hardy can be found at Diamonds Int'l at reasonable rates too. My wedding band is from Shiva's which has a great selection.

Tips of the Trade:Authenticating Gold and Diamonds

Do not buy diamonds which are not Diamond/Moissanite Tested
    Do not buy gold unless it is stamped OR the jeweler will allow you to do a scratch test Good luck with that last part.

Seriously, especially when you are in a foreign country, if the gold is not stamped you would need to take the gold to a jeweler to have it certified that it is gold. It is just easier to buy a stamped piece to begin with. If you do not see the stamp and the jeweler says there is one, ask them to show you were it is on the piece. If it is tiny, any reputable jeweler will have a loop that you can borrow.

Personally I would not buy any diamond unless it were tested in front of me AND came with a certificate from either the GIA, AGS, EGL, IGI, HRD

I am sure others can add suggestions as well.

The beach, Boca Prins & just about anywhere with my husband!
    The ring was marked down considerably when we bought it. Being young & naive to purchasing jewelry, we thought it was an OK deal, trusting the salesperson. My husband and I felt that this purchase would be something near and dear to us because we bought it in Aruba, where we honeymooned. I honestly didn't care if it was real in the end, I just wanted to be able to wear it and couldn't because we were deceived by the store of the fact that it could be sized to fit. That's what hurt us the most.

When I compared it to my wedding ring, which I of course know is genuine, I did notice the color of the gold-I have always worn gold, I am not silver girl really. But I just thought, well, it's from another country maybe that's why after all I am not an expert.

All in all, it really wasn't the cost that made it so horrible, it was the deception. And when we went back to rectify the situation, even after the store was the one to contact us initially about the fraudulent piece, they treated us like dirt. Said they knew nothing about the letter and that they would not contact the woman who sent it to us. Only after my husband insisted upon borrowing the phone so he could call her, they gave in and called her. It was decided that I would look around for something else. I did find a necklace in the case that I was interested in seeing the salesperson who was initially "helping" us was waiting on a man buying a Rollex and blatently ignoring us. As was the rest of the staff. I had to walk out of the store while my husband got our money back or I was going to lose my cool. Never again. I sincerely hope no one bought one of those rings at full price because they definately did get taken for a ride.
    Last edited by mjn109; 08-25-2010 at 04:32 PM.

As for Seans Jeweler's, I recently reach a thread on this forum and another outlining an awful experience. The customer was sold a flawed diamond with a chip in it and went through all sorts of nonsense to get their money back. It just seems risky to purchase expensive jewelry in Aruba.
    If a person pays by credit card and are defrauded, can they get satisfaction through the credit card company? Can the charge be disputed?

Aruba since 1979
    this particular situation has been resolved by seans jewelers.
    the stone was fractured. ring was replaced by a bigger and more valuable ring.

there was a trade in towards the purchase price of the new ring that is why there was an issue with a refund as well as seans claimed "buyer remorse".

but, don't take my word on the whole thing.........read the thread
    Buyer Beware at SEANS JEWELERS

and re: mjn's situation, you may want to go back and read this one from the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by amarg View Post
    As for Seans Jeweler's, I recently reach a thread on this forum and another outlining an awful experience. The customer was sold a flawed diamond with a chip in it and went through all sorts of nonsense to get their money back. It just seems risky to purchase expensive jewelry in Aruba.
    If a person pays by credit card and are defrauded, can they get satisfaction through the credit card company? Can the charge be disputed?

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast