Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Accident in Rental Car

Dom

Accident in Rental Car

In May of this year I rented a car from Royal Car Rental. I have been going to Aruba every year since the 1970's and I always rent a car, but this was the 1st time that I rented from Royal. I did not take the extra insurance because the credit card that I used (United Presidential Plus Mastercard) does provide insurance for car rental even if the rental is outside the USA. On the 1st day as I was driving around the traffic circle in front of the airport, another driver tried to pass me and hit the rental car on the driver side rear door. The police were called to take a report, and while this was all happening Steve from Royal showed up and told me to come to the Royal office after I was done with the police. Once at the Royal office, Steve walked me through everything that needed to be done and sent me on my way. At the end of the 2 weeks I returned the car with no problems. When I returned home, I filed an accident claim on-line and was told what paperwork I needed to submit in order to get reimbursed for the cost of the accident repair. I Emailed Urmie at Royal asking him to send me the required paperwork. Within a few days he had sent me all of the paperwork that I needed. I submitted the completed paperwork to the credit card insurance company and within a week I was told that they were sending me a check for the entire amount of the accident damage. Although the car that I rented from Royal was pretty beat up even before the accident, the service I received from both Steve and Urmie was outstanding. I actually received the check for the accident even before I had to pay the credit card bill.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Aruba since 1979
    i am in shock that it went so well.
    excellent!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    In May of this year I rented a car from Royal Car Rental. I have been going to Aruba every year since the 1970's and I always rent a car, but this was the 1st time that I rented from Royal. I did not take the extra insurance because the credit card that I used (United Presidential Plus Mastercard) does provide insurance for car rental even if the rental is outside the USA. On the 1st day as I was driving around the traffic circle in front of the airport, another driver tried to pass me and hit the rental car on the driver side rear door. The police were called to take a report, and while this was all happening Steve from Royal showed up and told me to come to the Royal office after I was done with the police. Once at the Royal office, Steve walked me through everything that needed to be done and sent me on my way. At the end of the 2 weeks I returned the car with no problems. When I returned home, I filed an accident claim on-line and was told what paperwork I needed to submit in order to get reimbursed for the cost of the accident repair. I Emailed Urmie at Royal asking him to send me the required paperwork. Within a few days he had sent me all of the paperwork that I needed. I submitted the completed paperwork to the credit card insurance company and within a week I was told that they were sending me a check for the entire amount of the accident damage. Although the car that I rented from Royal was pretty beat up even before the accident, the service I received from both Steve and Urmie was outstanding. I actually received the check for the accident even before I had to pay the credit card bill.

Pelican Pier at sunset with a bucket of Brights! Sunsets at Bunker Bar LG Smith Steakhouse, Paddock
    I have to admit while I was reading this post I was not expecting a good ending. I was pleasantly surprised to hear of the great customer service you received.

Wow Dom that sounds even easier than some dealings I have had with insurance in the states! Glad it all worked out well
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

It's funny as I started reading this post I just assumed it would have a bad ending, shame on me! Good to hear that all the paperwork was handled properly and painlessly.

Glad it was a good experience.

I had an accident some years ago in a Budget rental car. No real issues with the police or Budget. I had to pay for the repair when I turned in the car. I got a copy of the accident report (in Dutch) and sent it to the CC company. They paid me by check. Slick as can be.

I went through a similar incident with Royal, only our car was damaged while left in a parking lot. Their service at the time, three years ago, was also excellent. I agree on the other count too and that the rental car we had wasn't in excellent condition either.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post
    In the story you indicate that the other driver was at fault. Why were you required to pay for any damage? In the states it would have all had to be paid by the at fault party or his insurance company. Are the laws on at fault accidents different there?

I started reading this thinking oh no, this is why we don't rent a car, but ended up pleasantly surprised. Glad everything worked out for you and it gives me hope in convincing my husband.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

we have used royal many times and have always been happy with them and the vehicles we get. good for them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast