Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Accident in Rental Car

Aruba since 1979
    I have been thinking about Dom's accident and his experience with Royal and staff.
    5 years ago, we were rear ended (not our fault) and there was quite a bit of damage to the rental car.

Our car rental was thru Tropic.
    Hans came to the scene, the police came, the woman who hit us admitted fault.
    We did not have any additional insurance. (used our Discover card)

Hans gave us another car and got a copy of the report from the traffic/accident police.
    We got a copy too for our files.
    Nothing was ever put thru to our credit card company.
    From start to finish it was 1 hour and again, no paperwork for us.

Similar situation with friends Bill and Arlene. They were rear ended at Baby Beach. The mtorcycle that it them caused damage to the rear of their car (they rented from Avis). The motorcyclist was at fault. The same process, nothing was ever put thru to their credit card Avis just gave them another car.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    I have been thinking about Dom's accident and his experience with Royal and staff.
    5 years ago, we were rear ended (not our fault) and there was quite a bit of damage to the rental car.

Our car rental was thru Tropic.
    Hans came to the scene, the police came, the woman who hit us admitted fault.
    We did not have any additional insurance. (used our Discover card)

Hans gave us another car and got a copy of the report from the traffic/accident police.
    We got a copy too for our files.
    Nothing was ever put thru to our credit card company.
    From start to finish it was 1 hour and again, no paperwork for us.

Similar situation with friends Bill and Arlene. They were rear ended at Baby Beach. The mtorcycle that it them caused damage to the rear of their car (they rented from Avis). The motorcyclist was at fault. The same process, nothing was ever put thru to their credit card Avis just gave them another car.
    Sounds like Aruba is the same as here regarding fault. Why would Doms CC need to pay anything if the other driver was at fault?

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    In the story you indicate that the other driver was at fault. Why were you required to pay for any damage? In the states it would have all had to be paid by the at fault party or his insurance company. Are the laws on at fault accidents different there?
    Dom did not really indicate who's fault it was. The accident happened in a circle (roundabout), there are certain rules, including setting a blinker while entering or exiting the circle. Maybe Dom was partially at fault or completely at fault if he caused the accident by not blinking, for instance. Maybe he can clarify.

Here is the part where he described the accident:

On the 1st day as I was driving around the traffic circle in front of the airport, another driver tried to pass me and hit the rental car on the driver side rear door. The police were called to take a report, and while this was all happening Steve from Royal showed up and told me to come to the Royal office after I was done with the police.

I have been going to Aruba for 15 years and renting for all that time without Insurance and on my Credit Card, and I always wondered if the card company really came through for you when the chips are down, I guess this answers my question. Good to know. thanks Dick.
    Next Aruba trip in

Had a similar incident with my rental car but it was damaged while parked in the hotel parking lot. I rented from Hans (Tropic) who came to the hotel the next day with a new car (could not drive the damaged car because the damage was to a window and the steering column). I had used my Delta Skymiles AMEX Gold for the rental which has automatic coverage for rental cars. Hans and I became best buddies via email over the following months. LOL! I submitted my claim online through Amex's website and Hans gave me the information I needed for the claim (I could also log in and check the claim's status whenever I wanted to.) Within a couple of months Hans had his reimbursement from Amex for the damages in full. I never paid a penny out of my pocket (and did not have to put any charges on my CC) and I never once talked to a live person at Amex. It was amazing that everything went so smoothly.
    ~Amy~ - Playa del Carmen, MX: March 2017 - 34th trip to Aruba: May 2017 - Munich, Salzburg, Prague: June/July 2017 - Santa Barbara, CA wine country: Nov. 2017 - Seattle: Nov. 2017 - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018

I contacted the credit card company of our upcoming trip and they replied that indeed I was covered for the entire 17 days if the car was rented on their card. I have an RSVP on the card and will leave the car on it the entire trip. Barring any unforeseen accidents, I'll pay cash at the end of the trip for the discount.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    I contacted the credit card company of our upcoming trip and they replied that indeed I was covered for the entire 17 days if the car was rented on their card. I have an RSVP on the card and will leave the car on it the entire trip. Barring any unforeseen accidents, I'll pay cash at the end of the trip for the discount.
    Walt, not a good idea. If the rental company files a claim for ANY hidden damage after you leave, they will charge it to your CC and the credit card company will not pay it. The rules of the card state "you must decline the CDW and pay with the card to be covered. If you pay cash at the end your coverage is terminated." Hidden damage may or may not exist but I have seen it happen several times. I was an insurance agent for 40 years and there are unscrupulous people in every business or it may be that the vehicle does have hidden damage that may have occurred before you rented the vehicle but was found after you turn it in. Is the cash discount worth the risk?

Bob, I appreciate your thoughts and concerns and I agree there are some shady SOBs out there. We're renting from Hans at Tropic this trip and I'm counting on his excellent reputation not to be screwed after the fact. I don't usually take this approach, but this trip I thought I'd give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    Walt, not a good idea. If the rental company files a claim for ANY hidden damage after you leave, they will charge it to your CC and the credit card company will not pay it. The rules of the card state "you must decline the CDW and pay with the card to be covered. If you pay cash at the end your coverage is terminated." Hidden damage may or may not exist but I have seen it happen several times. I was an insurance agent for 40 years and there are unscrupulous people in every business or it may be that the vehicle does have hidden damage that may have occurred before you rented the vehicle but was found after you turn it in. Is the cash discount worth the risk?
    I agree.
    in our case we had paid in cash. The rental company refunded the cash, then charged the card for our rental, which allowed us to file a claim. This was done on their own. At the time we weren't even aware that we had coverage. Still, I wouldn't pay cash again, knowing what I do now.
    Last edited by schexc; 07-11-2015 at 06:53 AM.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12