Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: American Car Rental/ Pro-Con

Question American Car Rental/ Pro-Con

Anyone have a positive or negative experience with American Car Rental?
    Thanks,
    Surfdad

Yes, we rented twice from them and were not impressed. Their prices were some of the lowest, but you get what you pay for.

After our first experience with a run down Suzuki XL-7, we tried one more time the following year and got a beat up Chevy Cavalier. Dings, dents, cigarette burns in the seats, etc. Didn't run great either!

There are plenty of other rental companies that have better quality cars - we are now hooked on Tropic!

mac

Smile american rental

we just back tuesday from renting from american for 5 weeks. they had a yaris, or a 2009 yaris. having experienced the junkers in the past we paid a little more for the 2009. it was fine, only had 200 miles on it. no problems at all. their rates were the lowest i could find. just can't wait until next year

I just recently rented from American. We received a new Yarus with low mileage. The only thing we did not have in the car was electric windows and door locks. I did not even think that new cars come with manual locks and roll down windows.

The next time, I will be very specific in requesting a new car with electric windows and doors.

Other than that, we had a good experience.

Regards,

Aruba since 1979
    every vehicle we have ever rented in aruba has always had roll down windows and manual door locks
    vehicles we rented in aruba ranged from corollas to yaris all toyotas and i think once we had a mitsubishi

in most of our trips we have rented from hans at tropic

andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by Retagger View Post
    I just recently rented from American. We received a new Yarus with low mileage. The only thing we did not have in the car was electric windows and door locks. I did not even think that new cars come with manual locks and roll down windows.

The next time, I will be very specific in requesting a new car with electric windows and doors.

Other than that, we had a good experience.

Regards,

wcb

american car rental

We just returned from a 10 day visit and the only negitive was American car rental. Never again.
    The jeep was not ready the first day as promissed. They did give us a car for the first day, if you could call it a car( it was a junk) When it did arrived the next morning it was not what was represented in there advertisement.
    The seats were dirty, with holes in them ( we covered them with towels just to sit in it). The roof leaked when it rained , door handles were missing and it overheated two times on us.
    When we returned it a day early we were told to bad we rented it for ten days and there would be no refund.
    Best of luck if you choose them, I would pay the few extra $$ and pick someone else. We will next time.

I can only add to the negative reporting on American Car Rental:
    Two weeks ago, we had an agreement with them to come to their off-airport office to pick up the car. But we arrived at a closed gate - everyone left for the day. Our taxi brought us to the hotel - running up a total $40 charge and one day was lost without a car. Next day the car was delivered, Chevy Cavalier. Engine light on, pretty beat up but was driving. We were reassured that the taxi charge will be deducted from the final bill. Well, of course, last day right before departure, their guy (Omar) refused to do just that. He was claiming we never agreed to meet at the office. You can imagine how annoying that is to hear. (i have a reservation paper confirming pick up at office, black on white). At some point he felt like hanging up on us and so there was nothing else to do but to pay to the girl at the office.
    In summary: American Car Rental has probably the "cheapest" prices on paper but odds are you will pay more eventually when they screw up (and they do)

IGUANNA JOES, FISHING CHARTERS, SHOPPING, BABY BEACH,BUGALOOS
    We rented from them 2 trips ago and the jeep was old, dirty, had a slow leek in one tire we had to fill every other day cause they never came to fix it like they said they would and a slipping transmition which would not always stop right away when we braked.We never went back there. We've been going to Aruba Royal now, better service( yes we had another slow leak but they came right away and changed it.)and cleaner cars.And the price was just as good.
    WAYNE+CYNDYANN

american car rental nightmare

My wife and I had made a reservation with American car rental for a jeep because of their rates and web site . Upon arrival we took a cab ( with a miserable older cab driver ) to the car rental location . The cab driver could not find the location without a call to someone . Finally we found the location at a residence . There was one vehicle there and no attendant . The cab driver beeped the horn and someone looked out the window but did not come out . We then went on the advice of the cab driver to more for less car rental , across from the airport . They took care of us and saved the day . My advice to renters is make sure the car company is located at the airport or use more for less car rental because they will meet you at the airport . I trust them . I'm now am disputing a $50 charge from American car rental. By the way the cab driver when he heard their names said that they were syrians and legally not supposed to be doing business in Aruba.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast