Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: American Car Rental/ Pro-Con

American Rental

Wow, thanks for all the replies. From the looks of things, we will be changing our reservation!!
    Surfdad

Reservation changed!
    Last edited by surfdad; 06-24-2009 at 08:01 PM.

Nothing but Good and Positive!

I really must post about my positive experiences with American Car Rental. First I try to be reasonable with my thought pattern. I'm very well traveled, and especially with Islands and well...with car rentals. I have been coming to Aruba for many years. I started with another Company, with no names being mentioned, it went bad real quick. But thats another story. American was from the begining poliet, professional and reliable. I'm sorry if a few have had bad experiences, I look at it like this.

First and formost, it is a Island, look at the terrain here, rough is putting it mildly. I way too often see Vacationers tooling around the Island, at greater speeds than they should be going and outright abusing the cars. For the most part, I rent Jeeps. So I see these people..I see rentals cars..where NO rental cars have or should be..4 wheeling with NO 4 wheel capabilities. lol. But I can understand, we're on vacation, we don't make the monthly payments on these cars. I would also imagine, that no matter how well a car is maintained, the cars do get run down at some point, hence the dings, and scratches, wind alone will make sand scratches. I had one minor problem with a leaky tire, fixed immediately! Another thing that happended, was that after I packed and went home, I noticed that my jewlery pouch had fallen out of my carryone bag, and landed in the wheel well in the trunk. Gosh...I had quite a bit of jewlery, never mind a few family heirlooms with me....Stupid of me to bring you ask? Most certainly!!!! I emailed American to reserve a car for me, and that I had lost my jewlery and was heading back on the next flight. Unfort., they emailed me, but I was already in root to Aruba. I got off the Airplane, arrived at American's desk, and was met with big smiles. One of the Cleaning guys, had found my jewlery. My jewlery pouch went through the hands of not one, but 3 people, ALL WAS SAFE. I'm talking honest, honest people. Do I expect cars to get old, after being banged all over the Island? Do I expect a bit of sand, you bet. Do I expect a breakdown, here and there? you bet. But I oh so got, so much more bang for my buck! I not only got reliablabilty and consistency , I recieved Honesty to BOOT. I most definitely will be a Customer once again. Thats my story. I'm a Happy Islander! Sorry, so long.
    P.S. Forgot to ad:
    I like when traveling, to SUPPORT THE LOCALS, rather than the large Companies, and they ARE IN FACT LOCALS, never mind their nationality, no matter where born. Aruba is made up, like most places, a variety of nationalities...it truly is "ONE HAPPY ISLAND" Yipeee !!
    Last edited by Waterlogged52; 11-15-2010 at 08:50 AM. Reason: forgot two quick points to make

Aruba since 1979
    don't be sorry for being long.
    glad to hear of your positive experience and outcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Waterlogged52 View Post
    I really must post about my positive experiences with American Car Rental. First I try to be reasonable with my thought pattern. I'm very well traveled, and especially with Islands and well...with car rentals. I have been coming to Aruba for many years. I started with another Company, with no names being mentioned, it went bad real quick. But thats another story. American was from the begining poliet, professional and reliable. I'm sorry if a few have had bad experiences, I look at it like this.

First and formost, it is a Island, look at the terrain here, rough is putting it mildly. I way too often see Vacationers tooling around the Island, at greater speeds than they should be going and outright abusing the cars. For the most part, I rent Jeeps. So I see these people..I see rentals cars..where NO rental cars have or should be..4 wheeling with NO 4 wheel capabilities. lol. But I can understand, we're on vacation, we don't make the monthly payments on these cars. I would also imagine, that no matter how well a car is maintained, the cars do get run down at some point, hence the dings, and scratches, wind alone will make sand scratches. I had one minor problem with a leaky tire, fixed immediately! Another thing that happended, was that after I packed and went home, I noticed that my jewlery pouch had fallen out of my carryone bag, and landed in the wheel well in the trunk. Gosh...I had quite a bit of jewlery, never mind a few family heirlooms with me....Stupid of me to bring you ask? Most certainly!!!! I emailed American to reserve a car for me, and that I had lost my jewlery and was heading back on the next flight. Unfort., they emailed me, but I was already in root to Aruba. I got off the Airplane, arrived at American's desk, and was met with big smiles. One of the Cleaning guys, had found my jewlery. My jewlery pouch went through the hands of not one, but 3 people, ALL WAS SAFE. I'm talking honest, honest people. Do I expect cars to get old, after being banged all over the Island? Do I expect a bit of sand, you bet. Do I expect a breakdown, here and there? you bet. But I oh so got, so much more bang for my buck! I not only got reliablabilty and consistency , I recieved Honesty to BOOT. I most definitely will be a Customer once again. Thats my story. I'm a Happy Islander! Sorry, so long.

American Car Rental

I have rented vehicles from ACR a number of times most recently in November. As always, there cars are dependable, clean and the service is outstanding. They delivered the van to my resort exactly on time and same with picking it up. You may get a newer vehicle at other companies but you will pay for it. The van rental was $100 per week less than the closest competitor. It was clean, ran fine and had good tires.

Aruba since 1979
    thanks for your post and welcome to the forum

Please add my welcome to Andrea's. Have a "Happy New Year."

Ed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12