Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jkeusch

Thread: Budget Car Rental

Budget Car Rental

Hi,

Has anyone used Budget Car rental at the airport? Just wondering if they are a good company. We will be arriving in July on a Sunday and want to rent a standard car for a week.

Thanks

John

I haven't used Budget, but I've used Avis at the airport before (Avis owns Budget) and had a great car and experience, but it was a bit pricey. I have found that you can save money by renting from a company that is based outside the airport. If you are going in July and haven't reserved a car yet, I suggest you do so soon. Cars go fast on the island. There are many rental car companies discussed in this forum. I would research them all and make your choice soon.

John- We are renting from Budget on our early June trip. Will let you and everyone how it goes.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We used budget last June because we couldn't get a car from Hans at Tropic. Was a little off put at first because they have an intimidating note posted about what happens if you don't buy the cdw. After that it was fine. The car was clean and new. We had a problem caused by me. We went to baby beach and I put the car keys in my sealed container with my money and went snorkeling. When I got out I found that the seal on the container had dried out and the keys had gotten wet. They have an electronic alarm in them that wont allow you to start the car unless you trigger it. It doesn't work once you get the keys wet. We called the Budget office and they sent a guy out with another key. Only took about 45 minutes. They did not charge me either. Would use them again but Hans is good and less expensive. We have also had good luck with Econo.

Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    We used budget last June because we couldn't get a car from Hans at Tropic. Was a little off put at first because they have an intimidating note posted about what happens if you don't buy the cdw. After that it was fine. The car was clean and new. We had a problem caused by me. We went to baby beach and I put the car keys in my sealed container with my money and went snorkeling. When I got out I found that the seal on the container had dried out and the keys had gotten wet. They have an electronic alarm in them that wont allow you to start the car unless you trigger it. It doesn't work once you get the keys wet. We called the Budget office and they sent a guy out with another key. Only took about 45 minutes. They did not charge me either. Would use them again but Hans is good and less expensive. We have also had good luck with Econo.
    Lots of people decline CDW because they think their credit card and/or auto policy will cover it. Not always the case as I found out through research of my card and auto policy, I purchased auto coverage for Allianz (SP?) through insuremytrip.com which covers both my wife and me.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Personal auto insurance policies in the U S only cover you in the U S, its territories and Canada. No other place. Most credit cards will cover a rental car, but not all. You need to check with your CC company to be sure. You also need to be aware of any limitations or countries not covered. Most cards will only cover you in a passenger car. They don't usually cover 4 wheel drive vehicles or luxury model vehicles. Most have a 15 to 30 day limit. All require you to pay with the card and decline CDW. There are many countries that are excluded as well, but Aruba is not one.

Dom
    I have been using Budget in Aruba on and off for over 30 years. I have never had a problem with them. I find their cars to be somewhat older, but they run fine. If you get the Visit Aruba Plus card and make your reservation on-line, Budget gives an additional 10% discount off of their internet rates. I never take the extra insurance because it can almost double the price of the rental. I always call my credit card company to make sure that they provide the insurance. I use my United Presidential Plus MasterCard, and it does cover the insurance. It also does not charge a 3% exchange fee like many credit cards do when used in Aruba.
    Last edited by Dom; 06-20-2014 at 04:43 PM.
    Dom
    First visited Aruba in 1972

Not all credit cards provide travel auto insurance. It happens that I rented from Budget one year and refused CDW as I always do. I was unfortunate enough to have an accident in the rental car. I had to pay the cost of repairs before I left Aruba (charged it to my credit card) then filed a claim when I got home. The hardest part was getting a copy of the police report (it was in Dutch). VISA promptly mailed me a check for the full amount. If your current card does not offer this coverage, I'd recommend upgrading.