Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Arubalisa

Thread: Car/Jeep Rental

lbl
    Bunker or Coconuts Bar (Tamarijn)- with Friends :)

Car/Jeep Rental

Hubby and I, along with a couple of friends are going to Aruba early April. We are staying at the Tamarijn but would like to spent a day riding around. Should be looking a rental...JEEP before leaving or will we be able to rent once there? Thanks for the assist...

Also...a just for fun question....how do you put your "ticker" in????

lbl

Welcome to the forum

How to: Place A Countdown Ticker In Your Signature

I always suggest making an advance reservation. Aruba is an island with a limited number of rental vehicles. By making an advance reservation you have a pretty good, though not 100% guarantee that you will get a vehicle for the dates you specifically would like to have the vehicle.

lbl
    Thanks!
    lbl

I just re-read your post and realized you are staying at the Tamarijn. Hertz has the car rental desk there.

We used Hertz twice in June. My review speaks for itself

Monday Driving Tour
    Hertz
    Dh and I wanted to take a drive to drive around the island and take photos as we do nearly every trip. On another day we wanted a vehicle to do some snorkeling from shore in the morning and then use the same vehicle to drive to Savaneta to Marina Pirata for dinner that evening. Hertz had a desk at the Radisson so prior to arrival on the island; we had reserved an SUV through Hertz for two separate days.

When we arrived at the Radisson on Friday the Hertz desk was right there to adjacent to the front desk, so I thought to myself, while I am here, let me go over and just confirm our reservation. I confirmed the reservations; yes they did have a record of both dates.

Monday morning comes and dh walks up to the Hertz desk, shows the woman the copy of the email confirmation he had received and was told that it was not the “proper” email. The email confirmation we received from Hertz, was according to the woman at the desk, not the "correct” one. Did it have the proper date? Yes. Did they understand that we had a separate reservation later in the week? Yes. Was there confusion between the two reservations? No. Simply in their mind we did not have the “right” email.

Dh went back and forth with this woman at the Hertz desk and she just had a downright nasty attitude. She finally told dh that she did not have an SUV and she could call to see if one of the other locations had one. Fine, we had already wasted well over an hour of our day.

The Hertz location at the Westin had an SUV available. Rather than wait for them to be good and ready to deliver it to the Radisson, we took it upon ourselves to just walk from the Radisson to the Westin. The gentleman manning the Hertz desk at the Westin was the exact opposite of the woman at the Radisson rental desk and very accommodating. He did the paperwork for our Terios as quickly as possible to get us on our way.

Unfortunately, it was also our wedding anniversary that day and not exactly how we had planned on starting out. In turning the Terios in the following morning, dh told the person that the vehicle was having a bit of trouble turning over to start, and was probably going to be needing a battery.

Friday Driving & Snorkeling Tour
    Our rental on Friday was ironically the exact same vehicle. There were no troubles picking up the Terios at the Radisson that day. We used the car that morning to snorkel at Boca Catalina and Mangel Halto. That night we used the Terios to drive to Savaneta for a delicious dinner at Marina Pirata.

Remember dh told the Hertz agent that the battery was going dead? Now you know where this part of the story is going? Luckily the car battery died at the gas station outside of Oranjestad as opposed to the two snorkel spots we were at that day or the restaurant which is off the beaten path. We could have gotten stuck at any number of places in the middle of no where on either of the two days that we had the vehicle. Getting stuck at a gas station is ideal.

Worst part was being screamed at by an Aruban because the car would not start back up after we had filled up and he was mad I would not move the car. Dh was inside with one of the clerks calling Hertz for a jump. I explained the situation to the gentleman and embarrassed, he apologized and waited on line for another pump. When dh came back out, he and I together pushed the Terios away from the pump to avoid any further angry gas station patrons. Hertz had someone there in 15 minutes and jump started it.

Moral of the story, is to please keep in mind that "cheapest" or "least expensive" is not always the best rental. My dh just learned this, the hard way, again, by renting from Hertz. We would never rent from them again after their claim that they did not have a reservation in their system and we had the paperwork in hand to present them.

We have used Amigo in the past with great success. In driving around the island in June we also noticed that Aruba Royal, who we have also used in the past, had many new vehicles.

lbl
    Thank you for the update on your post...your post is an example of why forums such as these are so wonderful. 34 days to ARUBA!! but who is counting....I AM!
    lbl