Aruba Beach

Thread: Car Rental

Car Rental

I have a reservation with Econo, Avis, and Budget for an economy car for about the same price at each of them, give or take a couple of dollars. If you had a choice who would you rent from and why? Also do you recommend taking the LDW insurance? Thanks in advance.

All are reputable, long established companies on the island. We rented from Avis a few years back and the experience was fine.

As to CDW
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/car%...insurance.html
    Check to see if your own policy covers you in rentals outside the U.S.
    AMEX provides excellent CDW as a perk of their card.

www.aruba.com/forum/f38/car-rental-insurance-44110/#post200184

I have had a not at fault accident covered by AmEx and was amazed at how hassle free they make the process. While mine was in the USA and the other driver was at fault I still expected a major headache lie ahead, but I completed one interview with AmEx and they took care of the rest. They even took care of getting a replacement car to me within a couple of hours.
    Econo information

Avis information

Budget information
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 04-12-2011 at 01:53 PM.

Thanks for the information.

Aruba since 1979
    also too if you are taking trip insurance, some of the policies have cdw as part of the policy.

a good insurance comparison site is
    www.insuremytrip.com

If you use a gold or platinum VISA or MC for the transaction, they will cover you for accident damage at no charge. I had an accident in Aruba several years ago. I had to pay the damages when I dropped off the car the submitted the bill to VISA and they paid for every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
    If you use a gold or platinum VISA or MC for the transaction, they will cover you for accident damage at no charge. I had an accident in Aruba several years ago. I had to pay the damages when I dropped off the car the submitted the bill to VISA and they paid for every penny.
    Would that depend upon the company issuing the Visa or Master Card?

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    Would that depend upon the company issuing the Visa or Master Card?

You should always check with the credit card company (VISA or MC) but I think this is a standard feature offered by VISA and MC regardless of the issuing bank.

Our favorite place on the island, is the great beach at the Boca Grandi. The water is the best, and its very quiet.

We take the insurance from the car rental company regardless if our credit cards cover it. Its not that expensive,( about $7.oo per day. We don't want to deal with CC companies after we return from vacation.
    Have a great vacation

Nice advice shared by 'Cple'. Also I found that car rental brokers have the best deals if you want to rent a car. Recently my cousin visited there in Aruba and booked car with Carrentalscaribbean They offered him a great deal and covered liability insurance, CDW, unlimited mileage etc., all in the quoted rates. He was quite satisfied with the car provided and the staff as well.
    Last edited by shanealf; 04-21-2011 at 09:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shanealf View Post
    Nice advice shared by 'Cple'. Also I found that car rental brokers have the best deals if you want to rent a car. Recently my cousin visited there in Aruba and booked car with Carrentalscaribbean They offered him a great deal and covered liability insurance, CDW, unlimited mileage etc., all in the quoted rates. He was quite satisfied with the car provided and the staff as well.
    Interesting...I just priced out a car for June. PERHAPS their policies have changed????

NU Car Rentals service is provided in co-operation with Smart Rent A Car.

Insurance

CDW varies by vehicle type & in the case of an accident, renter must provide a police report or the customer will be responsible & agree to pay for any damages up to the full value of the car upon demand. CDW levels are as follows: $10.00 per Day for ECAR, ICAR and CCAR $15.00 per day for JCAR, MVAR and FCAR $25.00 per day for the LCAR

Collision Damage Waiver is not an insurance and it reduces the customer's responsibility only in case of a vehicle accident. Renter must show written proof of coverage for Aruba, if they do not the CDW is mandatory and a condition for rental. CDW does not cover damages due to driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs; driving off road/unpaved roads or vehicle being driven by unauthorized drivers who are not on the rental agreement. It does not cover broken or cracked windshield, or damage to tires, rims, interior damage or theft.

It is recommended renter check with their own insurance company for details on international coverage before traveling to Aruba.

Purchase of Supplemental Liability Third Party Insurance is mandatory according to the Arubian Vehicle Insurance Law.

I went to Smart Rent a Car's site and they were $30+ less expensive for 3 days for a comparable car BUT according to the fine print there...

Is Insurance included in the rental rate?
    The only insurance included in the rental rate is the Third Party Insurance, which means that if you are in a traffic accident and it's your fault the other party will be covered and you will be responsible for the rented vehicle. When you are not fault in a traffic accident then the Third Party Insurance of the other vehicle will be covering your vehicle, if the other party is insured of course.

What kind of Insurance do you provide?
    We provide optional insurances as CDW (Collision Damage Waiver). CDW will cover you in a collision with another vehicle (if you are fault in the traffic accident) with a deductible of $500, $750, $1000 per incident depending of the car category. However if the other party is not insured you will be responsible for the rental vehicle.

Smart's pricing, in the details on the quote lists CDW as an OPTION...

Collision Damage Waiver [?] [$10.00/day]
    "Collision Damage Waiver
    Regardless of fault, you are responsible for loss or damage to the rental vehicle resulting from collision, theft, or vandalism, unless you purchase this protection. C.D.W. coverage eliminates your financial responsibility for loss of or damage to the vehicle, and eliminates your out of pocket deductible. This coverage also reduces the risk of increased personal insurance premiums."