Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Car Rental at Airport

Thanks for all the info will start looking into renting...

Druif Beach, Casibari, Guadirikiri Cave, and Boca Catalina
    We rented from the Budget at the airport and everything went quite smoothly. It was great just being able to leave the airport, walk right over to the office and get the car right away without involving shuttles or taxis. We rented a Yaris and it was fine four our family of four -- with more luggage than we should have packed anyway! We got the best rate through www.carrentals.com . Our car insurance doesn't work out of the U.S., so we had to add on their insurance. I think it came to just over 300 total for 9 days.

We drove the Yaris through Arikok National Park and to the caves and Baby Beach (and more) with the car with no issues.

cac

Airport Rental Car Changes?

Hi,

Are you all familiar with some recent changes with rentals at the airport? I made arrangements with an outfit and they said recently that the airport restricted the rental companies down to a limited number. They said all other companies have restrictions with regards to doing business at the airport. Does this make sense?

We are travelling to Aruba this weekend for our honeymoon, can't wait to visit!

Does this make sense?
    Yes, according to the Aruban laws, it makes sense and is completely true.
    www.aruba.com/forum/f38/tropic-car-rental-new-policy-41463/#post153429

Quote Originally Posted by jaime6894 View Post

Dear Client,

This letter is to inform you of changes made by the Aruba Airport Authority.
    The Aruba Airport Authority is reducing the number of car rental companies allowed
    to do business from a kiosk at the airport from 22 to 10. The companies wishing to do
    business at the airport were required to send in their bids. From the 18 companies that
    sent in their bids, 10 were chosen and agreed with the new lease agreement.
    This lease agreement results in a considerable increase of the monthly rents, introduction
    of an airport tax and other secondary conditions stipulated by the airport.
    To protect those rental companies that will do business at the airport,
    the Aruba Airport Authority does not want other car rental companies
    to conduct business at the airport. They also prohibited shuttling. ...

Aruba since 1979
    paul and i have a car rental from TROPIC.
    Tropic does not have a kiosk at the airport.
    Some of the smaller companies have devised a way so that the rental can be performed at the airport.
    Here is how Tropic does it:
    The renters make the reservation and gives the flight information to Tropic.
    Tropic then emails you a confirmation and pricing.
    2 weeks or so prior to departure, Tropic sends you a form to be filled out and printed 2x.
    Upon arrival, Hans or Denis meet you at the arrival area outside of luggage.
    They take you to the car that is in the lot, they take 1 copy of the rental agreement and you keep the other and "presto, you are done!"
    Some of the things on the contract to fill in is credit card information, driver license information and when you will be returning the car back to the airport.

So, Tropic is able to complete the transaction without doing any paperwork on the airport property. The paperwork is done by you prior to arrival.

This has been in effect now for about 2 yrs.
    It works for us and works for Tropic.

andrea
    Quote Originally Posted by cac View Post
    Hi,

Are you all familiar with some recent changes with rentals at the airport? I made arrangements with an outfit and they said recently that the airport restricted the rental companies down to a limited number. They said all other companies have restrictions with regards to doing business at the airport. Does this make sense?

We are travelling to Aruba this weekend for our honeymoon, can't wait to visit!

Arrow

http://www.airportaruba.com/en/to&from/rentals/

At the airport:

Alamo Car Rental
    Amigo Rent a Car
    Avis Rent a Car
    Budget Rent a Car
    Dollar Car Rental
    Econo Car Rental
    Economy Car Rental
    Hertz Car Rental
    National Car Rental
    Thrifty Car Rental

I contacted Hans from Tropic Cars a couple of weeks ago and Lisa is right, they were completely booked during the 2 weeks we are there even though it's supposed to be low season. Therefore, if you are sure you want a car while you are there, I second booking in advance.
    I have decided not to. Also, I think it would be entirely feasible to take the public transport to the grocery store, shopping etc., and then a cab back with our bags so we don't have to carry them. That way we save money on the taxi fare. I understand that the bus system is cheap and excellent and that from CDM, the stores are not far at all.

Natural Pool, Depalm Island, Eagle Beach..................ARUBA, what's not to like.
    I have researched many of the car rentals on the island and one of the most reliable is Econo which has a main office at the La Quinta Resort. I am renting a Nissan Xterra from them for 2 weeks. I will have my vehicle waiting for me at the airport. I booked online and they have accommodated me in every way. Any questions and there is an answer within an hour or two.

Best of luck with which ever rental company you choose.

We have used Tropic,Econo,Payless and Usave.

Try carrentals.com or email each co. some run specials.

We have been going to Aruba for the past 6 years and always rent from Royal. You can do it on line. The cars are not new like at Hertz or Avis, but they are clean, run well and the air works. The Island is small and if you have a problem, they can get to you in a very short time. The men that run Royal are very polite and accomodating. They are off sight from the airport and will meet you in the baggage area and take you to their office. I highly recommend them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast