Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Car rental insurance

I have bought trip insurance too for an upcoming trip, but mine is only for $25,000. That seems low for a stolen vehicle?

I looked at that Amex deal, that's great! Looks like they cover liability to some extent as well. I always wondered who covers that.

Swagmaster, in all our years with American Express we have never been disappointed with any of their services.

For $24.95 we have added their Premium Car Rental Protection
    https://www295.americanexpress.com/p...do?source=CCSG
    Unless their policies have changed, you sign up for it in advance but do not pay the $24.95 until you actually rent a car.

"Up to $100,000

• If your rental car is damaged or stolen

Up to $100,000

• For you in case of Accidental Death or Dismemberment (up to $250,000 for California residents)

Up to $15,000

• For excess medical expenses for you and your passengers"

The beach at Andicuri, Beach Bar at the Westin, Sopranos Piano Bar, Downtown Shopping

Angry $600.00 jeep key

Quote Originally Posted by scott View Post
    andrea j
    this was the insurance the company offered it was from alamo. it cost me 50.00 for a hub cap
    Went to get my Jeep from the Hertz agent at The Westin, after checking the condition of the car outside we went back to his desk in the lower lobby and after we finalized the transaction I was returning upstairs when I noticed I had no key. I called to him from the stairs and asked where the key was and he told me I had it. I walk back down to his desk, emptied my pockets in front of him to show him I did not have them and the next thing I know I'm being charged $600.00 for a key. We searched the lot around the Jeep and the hall leading outside and no key. I never even sat in it and they insist I pay for a key. I was never out of this mans sight! NO WAY I will give them this money!

Aruba since 1979
    addendum:
    i contacted hertz by email and invited the manager/owner to reply and give his/her version.

aruba deuce are you still in aruba?

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    This is a very unfortunate situation where you signed the contract and the Hertz employee claimed he had handed you over the Jeep key. I hope Hertz will not held you responsible as you did not even had the chance to sit in the Jeep and use the key to drive off.

Hopefully, the key could be found in the meantime. Maybe it's in the Jeep? Somewhere beside/under the seat?

The $600 fee for a lost car key sounds very high. But if I remember correct, I had been told that a lost car key would cost $400, and that was just a small Yaris I had rented last year when I was on Aruba.

I searched for Hertz car rental agreements and found an Australian version, the charges can be HUGE!
    (scroll down to the bottom of the site):

Replacement of Vehicle keys and remote door opening devices lost during the Rental Period

From $165 to $1,100 (inclusive of GST) depending upon vehicle type

https://www.hertz.com.au/rentacar/mi...Conditions.jsp

Aruba since 1979

arubadeuce gave me permission to post this!!

From ArubaDeuce re: lost key/hertz/westin =nightmare
    Happy Happy Joy Joy, a resolution !

Hello Andrea
    Guess what happened this week. On thursday I contacted the folks at VISA and explained the $600.00 charge for the supposedly lost Jeep key. The representative from the credit card company said it would be a Did Not Authorize case and put the claim through. Well, on friday I recieved a call from my friend at the Westin front desk saying he had someone from Hertz that wished to speak with me. It was Ricky the Hertz rep. who called to tell me that he had been checking with security every day to see if any keys were turned in and SURPRISE! that morning someone turned in the lost Jeep key! He apologized for everything and said he would be crediting my card for the $600.00 charge for the key. Such a coincidence. Have a great day!
    John

I have had a not at fault accident covered by AmEx and was amazed at how hassle free they make the process. While mine was in the USA and the other driver was at fault I still expected a major headache lie ahead, but I completed one interview with AmEx and they took care of the rest. They even took care of getting a replacement car to me within a couple of hours.
    Aruba where the toughest question each day is "where to dine tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by jdoll View Post
    I have had a not at fault accident covered by AmEx and was amazed at how hassle free they make the process. While mine was in the USA and the other driver was at fault I still expected a major headache lie ahead, but I completed one interview with AmEx and they took care of the rest. They even took care of getting a replacement car to me within a couple of hours.
    Was this through the AMEX CDL or AMEX Premium Car Rental Protection

Visa card insures car rental

If you charge the car rental to a Visa card, you do NOT need to buy CDW or LDW insurance from rental company.

Visa card benefits include collision/loss/damage/theft/vandalism, but not liability. Just confirmed that with Visa for my trip NEXT WEEK! CAN'T WAIT!!

Visa USA: 800-847-2911
    Visa in Aruba: 800-1518 (local number in Aruba)
    www visa.com/benefits

Thanks, Forum folks, for suggesting we check with our credit card companies!
    Last edited by AvgJane2; 11-10-2011 at 01:26 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast