Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: car rentals

The beach at Andicuri, Beach Bar at the Westin, Sopranos Piano Bar, Downtown Shopping

4X4s

Are the rental companies starting to get away from renting four wheel drive vehicles? I called Hertz last Wed. to reserve for week of Mar 23 and things seemed a little sketchy in the 4X4 department.

Aruba since 1979
    not sure what you mean by "a little sketchy".
    could you elaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by Aruba Duece View Post
    Are the rental companies starting to get away from renting four wheel drive vehicles? I called Hertz last Wed. to reserve for week of Mar 23 and things seemed a little sketchy in the 4X4 department.

The beach at Andicuri, Beach Bar at the Westin, Sopranos Piano Bar, Downtown Shopping

4X4 rental

Well two weeks ago they said they couldn't reserve that far in advance and last week they are telling me there are none available for a month. Went on line to a couple of sites and they are showing none available.

Aruba since 1979
    maybe there are "none" available for real?

have you checked other companies?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aruba Duece View Post
    Well two weeks ago they said they couldn't reserve that far in advance and last week they are telling me there are none available for a month. Went on line to a couple of sites and they are showing none available.

It is still high season...it is very possible that they are all reserved.
    We have had difficulty renting them last minute in low season.
    There are only a limited number of rental vehicles on the island.

Budget?

Anyone have experience with Budget? Pros/Cons - i know in the states its a dime a dozen and really little difference overall.

We just rented a small car to get us around. Think thatll do?

Quote Originally Posted by ddoan24 View Post
    Anyone have experience with Budget? Pros/Cons - i know in the states its a dime a dozen and really little difference overall.
    Budget in Aruba is a franchise and not corporate owned. If you search the forum, I believe you will find there have been no major complaints.

For just getting around shopping and restaurants, a compact car is fine.

We used Budget a few times when their rates are favorable. They are reliable and are located right at the terminal so it is very convenient. I have rented cars and SUV's from them but never 4x4's so i can't comment on their availability, etc. You can make reservations directly thru their website so you should be able to see if they have any 4x4's.

Aruba since 1979
    re: 4x4s

some of the vehicle rental places DO NOT ALLOW their 4x4 vehicles to be off roading.
    make sure when you make your initial inquiries that you find out the off roading status.
    if you get a flat or a problem at the natural pool or thereabouts, you could be up the creek with out a paddle.

Feedback re: Budget

Quote Originally Posted by ddoan24 View Post

We have used Budget for the past 3 years and after last years experience we are done!!
    Our issue is the vehicles are "never" like the picture when you receive your confirmation. We reserved a small jeep like (Suzuki) and instead received a Yaris (much older model) and another year we reserved a newer Yaris and instead received a much older model. The big problem is the older vehicles simply do not have the newer (although) basic amenities so you wind up with very basic and I do mean basic transportation. Anyway, from the forum we have read plenty of reviews of other companies so we will give them a shot.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast