Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Cost of car rental

Palm Beach. Eagle Beach. Baby beach. Moombas. Bugaloe. Piano bar.
    They wanted the cash up front as well for the auto rental.
    I ended up going with Corina from Tropic. On the AMEX
    $355.20 out the door for 14 days. $25.37 per day.
    I like the convenience of airport pickup/dropoff.

I always reserve and rent a car using a credit card. With Royal and More4Less they have let me pay cash at the end of the rental and they give me a cash discount. The rental is protected by the credit card while in use, but after turning the car back in, I just pay cash. Never had a problem getting the lower cash price, and the rental company doesn't get soaked by the credit card company... I think it's a win-win.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    I always reserve and rent a car using a credit card. With Royal and More4Less they have let me pay cash at the end of the rental and they give me a cash discount. The rental is protected by the credit card while in use, but after turning the car back in, I just pay cash. Never had a problem getting the lower cash price, and the rental company doesn't get soaked by the credit card company... I think it's a win-win.
    The only problem with paying with cash at the end of the trip is if you happen to get into a fraudulent claim situation or hidden damage with the rental car company. Not just in Aruba but stateside as well. If the rental car company claims damage to the vehicle AFTER you leave, you have no coverage from your credit card. There is a clause in their coverage that states they will only pay for damage if you rent the car with the card AND pay for the transaction with the card. So once you pay cash for the car, the CC is off the hook for anything. Obviously if you are in an accident, you must pay the bill with the card or they still don't have to pay.
    Last edited by arubabob; 02-03-2015 at 03:28 PM.

I have read on this tread that many use their AMEX card because it offers car insurance. When I look at several AMEX cards they say “When you use your eligible Card to reserve and pay for the entire eligible vehicle rental and decline the collision damage waiver at the rental car counter, you can be covered if the car is damaged or stolen.”

But when I read the frequently asked questions I found this?

8. Does this plan cover damage to other vehicles or injury to another person?
    No, Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance does not provide liability insurance.

Do you purchase Liability insurance in Aruba? Just trying to decide if it is worth getting an AMEX since we will be renting for two weeks.

If you fly United, the Mileage Plus card provides Car Insurance

Quote Originally Posted by ArubaMike View Post
    I have read on this tread that many use their AMEX card because it offers car insurance. When I look at several AMEX cards they say “When you use your eligible Card to reserve and pay for the entire eligible vehicle rental and decline the collision damage waiver at the rental car counter, you can be covered if the car is damaged or stolen.”

But when I read the frequently asked questions I found this?

8. Does this plan cover damage to other vehicles or injury to another person?
    No, Car Rental Loss and Damage Insurance does not provide liability insurance.

Do you purchase Liability insurance in Aruba? Just trying to decide if it is worth getting an AMEX since we will be renting for two weeks.
    The liability is covered through the rental agency and is already included in the rate you pay.

Quote Originally Posted by tofare View Post
    If you fly United, the Mileage Plus card provides Car Insurance
    Most credit cards offer rental car coverage. Not all are the same so it is a good idea to have your card company email a copy of the insurance to you. Many wont cover 4 wheel drive vehicles, luxury vehicles or trucks. Some countries are not covered as well. Many variations on them so good idea to read the one you are using.

Thanks you, trying to make sure I don't under or over buy, I will call my credit cards tonight. I think none of mine have i insurance, if so I will grab an amex, their insurance seems solid. Good to know about the liability portion.

Palm Beach. Eagle Beach. Baby beach. Moombas. Bugaloe. Piano bar.
    It appears, in general, that AMEX has the best coverage.
    http://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/credi...car-insurance/

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I use AMEX and I have a thing where I pay $24.95 every time a car rental goes on AMEX. It is extra coverage and only applies when you rent a car up to 60 days in one transaction. Though they do offer the standard coverage without that, I found it was no big deal to have it and is peace of mind. The car rental place must pay for damage to another car and person (same as here in the states) but are not required to pay for your rental car or you (which is where your credit card coverage comes in). My hubby just looked this up last night, of course he probably read this thread, lol...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast