Aruba Beach
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By aquaman

Thread: Crazed driving in Aruba

Crazed driving in Aruba

Yesterday, Sunday at 8:30am I drove from Noord down to Savaneta. The traffic was light but what there was of it was in some ways horrifying. I have been driving on the island now over a 10 year period. Some of the things I witnessed were drivers speeding up in the rotundas in order to pass the cars in front and then cutting in and causing everyone to hit the brakes. When driving back from Savaneta, cars driving very fast near Balashi were passing even though the signage indicated no passing zones and there were workmen working on the widening of the road

After exiting the rotunda at the airport, one idiot pulled out onto the wrong side of the road and proceeded to pass a line of approx 6 cars. He stayed on the wrong side and very narrowly avoided a head on collision with an oncoming bus! Everyone had to brake sharply. I also observed impatient drivers. Blowing their horns at slower moving cars with V plates, obviously driven by tourists.

It it is time for Minisiter Otmar Oduber to step up and initiate an educational program for Aruban drivers to show some courtesy and safety when driving. It is no wonder a number of people post on this forum their reluctance to rent a car or drive while vacationing here. Maybe Minister Oduber can use the money obtained from the paid parking program to start a safe driving campaign of advertising and some attention to better traffic policing.

john
    Last edited by aquaman; 11-02-2015 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Aruba since 1979
    minister oduber has a facebook page.
    maybe someone could make a posting there about the concerns?
    Quote Originally Posted by aquaman View Post
    Yesterday, Sunday at 8:30am I drove from Noord down to Savaneta. The traffic was light but what there was of it was in some ways horrifying. I have been driving on the island now over a 10 year period. Some of the rings I witnessed were drivers speeding up in the rotundas in order to pass the cars in front and then cutting in and causing everyone to hit the brakes. When driving back from Savaneta, cars driving very fast near Balashi were passing even though the signage indicated no passing zones and there were workmen working on the widening of the road

After exiting the rotunda at the airport, one idiot pulled out onto the wrong side of the road and proceeded to pass a line of approx 6 cars. He stayed on the wrong side and very narrowly avoided a head on collision with an oncoming bus! Everyone had to brake sharply. I also observed impatient drivers. Blowing their horns at slower moving cars with V plates, obviously driven by tourists.

It it is time for Minisiter Otmar Oduber to step up and initiate Ann educational program for Aruban drivers to show some courtesy and safety when driving. It is no wonder a number of people post on this forum their reluctance to rent a car or drive while vacationing here. Maybe Minister Oduber can use the money obtained from the paid parking program to start a safe driving campaign of advertising and some attention to better traffic policing.

john

Ugh. Agreed.

On our most recent sojourn, there was a blackout of a few hours and we headed downtown for dinner at Wilhelmina's. The traffic light was still out of commission at Caya Frans Figaroa and Route 3 (the road that goes west into Palm Beach) - the intersection where Caribbean Palm Village Resort is located and, ironically, a police outpost for the K-9 unit.

It was insane - nobody knew what a four way stop was and just kept charging into the intersection.

As one local said to us, "People here get their driver's license off the internet." LOL

I couldn't agree more. I just returned from a 2-week trip. I thought the driving has gotten so much worse than before. I was nervous every time I had to get in a car to go somewhere. There was driving on the wrong side, passing when it was a no pass zone, cutting people off and driving through red lights. After a few days, we tried to walk whenever we could.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    When I look for some info and surf through Diario or Awe24, it's always filled with reports and pictures of car accidents.

I don't know if it has something to do what more people live now on Aruba or if alcohol plays a big roll or people being more unhappy and therefore more aggressive and driving in a more aggressive way.

To keep the island safer, I agree something needs to be done. All those car accidents keeps the police very busy as well.

I have really noticed the bad drivers also. I have a motor scooter that I drive daily when I am there and you really have to watch out for the other drivers. And as far as the traffic lights not working. Last summer it would go for 2 solid weeks where the lights were not working so they put up a lighted sign that tells you the lights are not working. After they did fix them, 1 week later they were flashing again. This was the lights by Balashi and also the light up by the Marriott. I did see a lot of wrecks there.
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    I don't know where you guys live, but drivers here are just as bad or worse. I live 12 miles north of Tulsa and there is a 4 lane highway going south that turns in to 6 lanes after a few miles and vice versa coming north. I drive 70mph most of the time(spd lmt65) and I get passed like I am standing still. Coming north where the road goes to 2 lanes from 3, you can see people pulling out of that lane into oncoming traffic all the time. Its like they don't know the lane ends until they get there. When a turn arrow goes off, 5 or 6 more cars continue to turn. DW got rear ended in a work zone 3 weeks ago on a highway bridge with double white lines and 45 mph limit because the guy behind her was trying to change lanes without slowing down and couldnt. Over $6,000 damage and minor injuries fortunately. 4 way stop by our home is run constantly. Had a fatality collision there last year because a car did not even slow down. And forget about yield signs. I think most drivers think a yield sign means speed up. If you want to see some REALLY bad driving, rent a car in San Juan, Puerto Rico. I rented one there for 3 days and took it back the first morning after I got it. Cabs are a better option there. Aruba is not as bad as here IMHO.
    Last edited by arubabob; 11-03-2015 at 04:28 PM.

I have to agree with driving in San Juan. I only drove there once and never again. Too crazy and a lot of people who drink and drive.