Aruba Beach
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By act1966
  • 1 Post By danadog56
  • 1 Post By ArubaAce

Thread: cycling in aruba!

cycling in aruba!

Hi All!

I'm going to be in Aruba for 2 months staying with a few friends, I know there is a bicycle available for me to get around on... which is great! But I was wondering whether cycling as your main form of transport if common, safe etc???

Quote Originally Posted by travelgirl! View Post
    Hi All!

I'm going to be in Aruba for 2 months staying with a few friends, I know there is a bicycle available for me to get around on... which is great! But I was wondering whether cycling as your main form of transport if common, safe etc???
    I've seen more and more cyclists training on some of the roads over the years. Like most cities/countries, there are some safer cycling areas and some not-so-safe. Paving is inconsistent so not all roads are hospitable to cyclists. We did notice that Savaneta had designated bike lanes on newly paved roads so the South Island is definitely advancing (probably because the majority of voters live there). There's also good bike lanes down the west coast of the island near Oranjestad.

Just be sure to wear a helmet and, if you're cycling at night, light your bike. I'm stunned at how many people don't do either on the island. Drivers tend to be a little crazy on the island so be very aware at all times.

What an awesome opportunity! Yes, just be careful and alert always
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Thanks guys! This has been super helpful, I was a bit nervous a bike was out of the question and I'd be on foot the whole 2 months... I'll be sure to get a helmet and be super careful! Wouldn't want an injury on the first stop of my trip!

Aruba since 1979
    the road to the lighthouse is not a good biking road as there are cracks, holes and curves........that being said, we always see tons of bikers.

Thank you! I'll definitely check it out before heading out on the bike... I drive everywhere at the minute so I imagine I'll be super cautious on a bike! But hopefully it helps me with the effects of non stop Easter Egg eating for 3 days!!

Just as an afterthought.....if you want to get somewhere without a bike or are worrying about using it to go everywhere...they have buses and the prices are really reasonable (just in case)....
    Have fun and be safe !!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

I notice they have a bike rental at La Cabana for Electric Motor bikes. I might rent one for the day next trip and try to bike to Arashi but if i get tired, let the motor take over.