Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a 4WD for...

Do I need a 4WD for...

the unpaved drive along the north (or is it considered east) coast running south from the California lighthouse all the way to the Natural Bridge? If so, where is it needed? And what about from the lighthouse to the Chapel at Alto Vista? Thanks.

Baby beach, natural bridge, palm beach, California Lighthouse
    I don't think it is absolutely necessary to have a four wheel drive vehicle. I have seen many small cars driving through the area. I think it is more enjoyable in a jeep with the top off. It does get dusty but it is fun! Good Luck!

Do I REALLY nead 4WD????

Hello everybody! I've been checking out this forum for quite some time now..... My wife and I will be going on our honeymoon in June and I have a quick question. Do I really.....really need 4WD to check out the sites and sounds of Aruba?

I went to Aruba as a teenager and did a Jeep tour with my parents. I really don't remember the terrain being all that challanging. We aren't interested in going to the natural pool or anything, we just want to drive around in the "back country". We would like to visit some caves and a few coves and such.

Do I really need a high ground clearence vehicle with 4wd? Would a compact car do the trick? Money is tight right now and I'd rather not spend $350+ for a 4x4 if I didn't have to. Any advice is much appreciated!

Car would be fine. Toyota Yaris is Ok and runs between $180 & 220 per week, depending on where you rent from.

If you want to explore the "rougher"area, sign up for a jeep tour.
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

We just want to drive around on the dirt roads/trails and the island and check out some caves and what not. Are the dirt roads out there reletively smooth or are they kinda rough?

Aruba since 1979
    the dirt roads are kind of rough
    especially AFTER a heavy rain

jeep wrangler-like vehicles work well
    some types of suvs do ok
    cars on some of those roads and trails.....nope. do not even chance it.

andrea

Quote Originally Posted by BigOldXJ View Post
    We just want to drive around on the dirt roads/trails and the island and check out some caves and what not. Are the dirt roads out there reletively smooth or are they kinda rough?

Aruba since 1979
    you may be intersted in checking with eddy croes for a tour with him driving the high clearance vehicle

not all of his tours are hikes

www.sensitivehikers.com

Quote Originally Posted by BigOldXJ View Post
    Hello everybody! I've been checking out this forum for quite some time now..... My wife and I will be going on our honeymoon in June and I have a quick question. Do I really.....really need 4WD to check out the sites and sounds of Aruba?

I went to Aruba as a teenager and did a Jeep tour with my parents. I really don't remember the terrain being all that challanging. We aren't interested in going to the natural pool or anything, we just want to drive around in the "back country". We would like to visit some caves and a few coves and such.

Do I really need a high ground clearence vehicle with 4wd? Would a compact car do the trick? Money is tight right now and I'd rather not spend $350+ for a 4x4 if I didn't have to. Any advice is much appreciated!

Baby beach, natural bridge, palm beach, California Lighthouse
    You certainly do not need to rent a car for the entire time you are there. We rented a jeep for a day $100.00/day from American they drop the jeep off and pick it up. You can tour the whole island!

We tend to be pretty mobile when we go on vacation. We plan to go out to shops, dinner, sightseeing, etc. Sure we could condense all the activities into a few days but generally we like the idea of being able to get up and go. Renting a car/jeep for a few days and then taking taxis on a daily basis would probably end up being similar to the cost of renting the car/jeep all week!

This is my wife's first time to Aruba and my first as an adult, so we are going to try and get as much in as we can. If this was our 5th or so time I would totally agree.....just stay by the beach and go out a few times.

We are staying at the Paridise Beach Villas which I believe are in the low-rise area. There isn't a TON of stuff around us, so we will be traveling alot.

I have the same exact question and issue as you BigOldXJ. I am definitely getting mixed signals as to whether a car will do the trick or if I need a 4wd. What I am getting is there really is no one answer as it depends on (a) which roads we seek to take and (b) the amount of rainfall (i.e., the depth of the puddles). Specifically, I want to know about the road along the coast from the California lighthouse, down past the chapel and towards the first Natural Bridge.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast