Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Garmin GPS

Red face Link for VENRUT

Hello ArubaLisa,

Here is one from A GPS maps forum, I frequent. It is newer than my 4.5....
    rapidshare.com/files/274229957/Venrut4.9.exe

You can Google "VENRUT", it can be downloaded from many different places since it is a free and open project. It is already up to version 11.0 or something like that. I only found version 4.5 without having to join someone's website. All versions have the Aruba maps though. You only need to find a link to one of them.

If you have the mapsource software, you can view the map right now on your PC. You can even practice some routing on the PC to test it out.

BTW... I have found that most of the Caribbean islands are found on different Garmin maps, but not all of them together. For example, the newest version of Europe City Navigator has St Barts, Martinique, Guadalope....

And the newest City Navigator North America now has the Cayman Islands and Jamaica...

Then to get our ABC islands you need the Venezuela map - GO FIGURE!!
    Last edited by GPSTraveler; 03-26-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Got the link

Smile My Confirmed Aruba Waypoints in GPX format

Hello all,

I am posting my Aruba Waypoints file. It is in GPX exchange format, which means it can be opened in Garmin Mapsource in addition to many other GPS systems (for those of you without Garmin units).

The file contains many of the POIs in the Venrut software. It is also includes many POIs that were not included, that I found myself. When I added my own waypoint, I would park as close to the door as possible, they are extremely accurate. :-)

Some of my waypoints that are "not included" in Venrut :

Aruba Aloe factory
    Amigo Car Rental
    Bavaria/Sawasdee
    Bingo's Cafe
    Linda's Pancake House
    Cafe Capri
    Essoville Rum Shop
    Indo Restaurant
    La Granja (downtown)
    Madeline Spa
    Matthew's Beachside Rest
    Sultan Rest
    Rum Reef Bar (baby beach)

Amazingly Charlie's Bar was already included in the VenRut map :-)
    Attached Files Attached Files

Post Attached Photo of VENRUT

OK,

I attached a ZIP file of a screenshot of VENRUT in the mapsource software.

You can see that I routed from Amsterdam Manor to Cafe Capri then around to Sultan Restaurant, then over to El Gaucho... going around Downtown completely.

You should also notice the little dashed streets around Madame Janette's, the dashed lines are unpaved roads. It can route you on these as well. Very detailed!

Sorry for the tiny size of the JPEG, you must zoom in. Aruba.com only allows 97kb zip files, so had to make it small.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by GPSTraveler; 03-27-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Thank you so much! Dh is looking forward to toying around with all of this.

what did yiou down load it on to that you could use in your car?
    Next Aruba trip in

Quote Originally Posted by cukiecutr View Post
    what did yiou down load it on to that you could use in your car?
    You need a Garmin GPS for the VENRUT software.

Dh had a chance to download it this afternoon and play with it a bit. AMAZING how many points of interest etc are on the map AND all with turn by turn directions. So much more than we had 2 years ago.

Thank you
    GPSTraveler!

Smile Thanks Back

And thanks to you ArubaLisa, Amy, SanNic44, and everyone else on this forum.
    How do you guys think I learned all about all of these great places to visit on the island? Of course, I learned from all of you before my trip. Yes, I have been a lurker on here for a couple of months now.

My favorite blog to find interesting new places was SanNic44s.
    AFTER driving my wife to San Nicolas and after visiting Charlie's bar, I discovered this book (2 days later) called "An Island Away".

Little did I realize that it was SanNic's book!! Now that I am halfway through his book, I am crushed that I did not go to charlie's bar AFTER reading it. Oh well, maybe the next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Arubalisa View Post
    You need a Garmin GPS for the VENRUT software.

Dh had a chance to download it this afternoon and play with it a bit. AMAZING how many points of interest etc are on the map AND all with turn by turn directions. So much more than we had 2 years ago.

Thank you GPSTraveler!

Thank you for your kind words. It is a "family" and we are all here to help one another.

I am crushed that I did not go to charlie's bar AFTER reading it. Oh well, maybe the next time.
    There is ALWAYS a next time when it comes to Aruba.

Hey great discovery GPSTraveler,

I now have the following 3 files:

GPSTraveler Garmin Venrut Maps of Venezuela Routable v.11.04
    01 Apr 2011
    • VenrutV11.04EXE Installer
    • VenrutV11.04GMAP
    • VenrutV11.04Image
    I saw some info about unlocking mapsource, etc...

Do I need to do that as well?
    Would you like to have access to those 3 files?

Pierre

Smile Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by GPSTraveler View Post
    And thanks to you ArubaLisa, Amy, SanNic44, and everyone else on this forum.
    How do you guys think I learned all about all of these great places to visit on the island? Of course, I learned from all of you before my trip. Yes, I have been a lurker on here for a couple of months now.

My favorite blog to find interesting new places was SanNic44s.
    AFTER driving my wife to San Nicolas and after visiting Charlie's bar, I discovered this book (2 days later) called "An Island Away".

Little did I realize that it was SanNic's book!! Now that I am halfway through his book, I am crushed that I did not go to charlie's bar AFTER reading it. Oh well, maybe the next time.
    I wish I had this before I came. I was going to actually tell people to use google maps, set their locations ahead of time and create the waypoints and upload as gpx files to their Garmin, but you saved me the trouble.

BTW, another good site to use is GPS Visualizer, it allows you to create your own maps from Google, or Google Earth and then upload to Garmin.

Sean

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast