Aruba Beach
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Garmin GPS

For those of us that have never used a Garmin, does it matter which model to buy? Will all of them support these files and maps?

Quote Originally Posted by dakrause View Post
    I'm glad you have been able to use Venrut. We've been building the project since 2003 and are happy it is well received on the island.

Please make sure to send us any waypoints(points of interest) or roads that need to be added. If you also let us know which streets are "eenrichtingsweg", we will gladly make the correction.

Kind regards,
    David A. Krause
    GPS_YV Founder
    dakrause(at)hotmail(dot)com
    You could try sending a personal message to dakrause.

David would be the expert, but I asked dh and his reply,

"All Garmins should support the added map but I would make sure you pick one that has a large amount of internal memory, if they all have the same size, then it would not matter."

I just went and looked at the Garmin site, and if you are purchasing one to use at home as well, there is a great feature
    https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134
    which helps to narrow your choices by features. Dh like his with the bluetooth so he can just talk to it instead of inputting addresses manually. VERY useful in traffic. Also here in the Atlanta metro area, the "guides to proper lane feature" is almost a necessity.

The "Live Traffic" feature,
    http://www8.garmin.com/traffic/ no one can put a price tag on. It saved us when I was scheduled to be at the hospital for surgery one morning and the "usual" traffic was worse than we anticipated. And it has saved us other times as well when we have had tickets to shows or functions.

Dh and I no longer have any arguments since we each got our Garmins.
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 08-16-2011 at 07:31 PM.

The version of Venrut published today contains a gazillion new waypoints and corrects the routing on one-way streets in Aruba(thanks Tom!).

To provide some background, our lead programmer(Carlos) has a medical condition(Multiple Sclerosis) that makes a portion of the donations in support of the Venrut project his only source of income. If you choose to download Venrut, please make sure to make a kind donation.

To make a donation: http://bit.ly/GPSYV-USD

Kind regards,
    David A. Krause
    GPS_YV Founder
    dakrause@hotmail.com
    Last edited by dakrause; 10-03-2011 at 08:58 AM.

Wife is interested

My wife is interested in having this Garmin map. As you know, men don't ask for directions but in this case I will. I tried to download Venrut, is there a way to change the instructions to English?

Here's a video that will show you how
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFRYWPu6JWU

It's in spanish still if you look closely you will see how...

If you would like additional assistance, I will be happy to help. Just drop me an email. Please be sure to mention which model of GPS you have!

The October version of Venrut (11.10) corrects the routing to Baby Beach.

Available free at GPSYV.NET:

Dakruse,

Any chance of posting a how to install tutorial in English? I just spent the last 5+ hours trying with no luck. I have a nuvi 200. I am leaving for Aruba tomorrow, so it will be of no use to me, but it may save someone the hours of frustration I just endured.Good luck to who ever tries to install it without a junior engineering degree and a minor in spanish. I think I'll give that Borch map a shot!

Aruba since 1979
    hi welcome to the aruba.com community forum!

good luck with your gps.
    i am clueless.
    Quote Originally Posted by captelectron View Post
    Dakruse,

Any chance of posting a how to install tutorial in English? I just spent the last 5+ hours trying with no luck. I have a nuvi 200. I am leaving for Aruba tomorrow, so it will be of no use to me, but it may save someone the hours of frustration I just endured.Good luck to who ever tries to install it without a junior engineering degree and a minor in spanish. I think I'll give that Borch map a shot!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast