Aruba Beach
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 2 Post By Arawak

Thread: Getting Around

Getting Around

Hello to all...1st timers headed to Aruba Divi AI in November. Was planning on renting a Jeep for one of the days. After looking at the map of the island, it's hard to tell if it's possible to traverse all the way around the island, particularly on the east coast. Looks like the roads may or may not go all the way through. Just trying to get an idea where we may try to travel. Thanks!!

Aruba since 1979
    renting a jeep is always fun

the roads do not go all of the way, but i am not even close to being familiar with off roading using a jeep/atv/utv/horse or other source of off road transportation.

what i can say is that, in 2011 our friend ommi took paul and i from san nic, up past grapefield beach , past the wind park and eventually onto the paved road of the arikok in his "minivan". the trip was slow, but we never bottomed out and it was fun.

paul and i also have gone from the california lighthouse area to alto vista thru some pretty rough terrain in a rental yaris or accent.
    not necessarily easy, but we did not bottom out or get stuck.

we also drove numerous times to the "fallen down natural bridge and the gold mine ruins.....easy peasy.

we have done organized tours, many years ago on jeeps and via horseback to the natural pool.
    it was scary and it was rough going.
    i ALWAYS recommend to everyone that they take an organized tour to that area.
    many of the jeep rental companies discourage you from bringing the rental vehicle out there.
    if you damage the vehicle, the insurance becomes void.
    you break it you buy it.

here is the google map. zoom in over toward san nic and you can see the route that we took from san nic area to the grapefield beach and the national park.
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ar...1!4d-69.968338

forum member LeaveTheKidsWithMom is a pro at off roading in Aruba.
    hopefully he and sometimes she, (Mr and Mrs) will reply.

Quote Originally Posted by banchi View Post
    Hello to all...1st timers headed to Aruba Divi AI in November. Was planning on renting a Jeep for one of the days. After looking at the map of the island, it's hard to tell if it's possible to traverse all the way around the island, particularly on the east coast. Looks like the roads may or may not go all the way through. Just trying to get an idea where we may try to travel. Thanks!!
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 10-14-2017 at 08:49 AM.

You can get to almost anywhere on the island with a 4x4 jeep or better yet, an atv(due to smaller atv only "roads" in the park). Even on the map where the roads end usually there is another way around to keep going. It is hazardous though if you are not experienced with atv's and tourists regularly get into accidents and end up in hospital. You can do an off road day like the locals do and go from the windmills all the way down to the lighthouse. It can be tricky in some parts, especially if there was rain recently.

If you don't want the hassle or think its not so safe, than I would definitely recommend one of the tour operators on the island. They are all great just ask for a referral at your hotel. The tours are usually half day. You can choose between morning or afternoon tours.