Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Got standed at airport due to Car rental mess up

Got standed at airport due to Car rental mess up

Just got back from my first trip to Aruba. I reserved a rental car from Thrifty at the airport more than 3 months in advance. When we landed at 10:35 p.m., Thrifty had already closed and my wife and I, along with three other familys were left there without any way to reach our hotels. Security at the airport couldn't care less and the one taxi driver that was still there said his car was not working. Fortunately, a returning taxi driver took turns taking all of us to our respective resorts.

The next morning I called Thrifty and the lady was very RUDE and said she stayed there until closing which was 11:00 p.m. My Cellphone said 10:50 p.m. when we were standing infront of Thrifty so I know she was not there. Upon asking for a ride to the airport to get our car, the truth came out that they did not have a car available.

I'd like to say we used a different company, but unfortunately, the companys that were still open would not open the door when we all knocked.

Aruba since 1979
    wow :-(not good !!!:-(
    but, aruba's time is 1 hr ahead of US eastern time.
    so, 10:50pm on your us cellphone was really 11:50 aruba time.

nonetheless, the lady at thrifty should have waited.......if she had our flight info and knew you'd be on that particular flight.

i never knew there was a time where taxis were not line up waiting for passengers after a flight arrived.

i am surprised that you were able to leave your plane that landed at 10:35 and get thru immigration, luggage and aruba customs to the car rental in 15 minutes. boy were you speedy.

sorry that it was a hassle about the car rental.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 02-03-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Timing

Time was automatically adjusted on cell, its was 10:50 GMT in Aruba. One of the first things I checked. Yes, getting thru immigration was much faster than expected, but the airport was empty and we had no waiting. They scanned passport and sent us on our way. Taxi driver said we were the last flight and thats why noone was around. Heading home was a different story!

Despite the car rental mess, and the unfortunate argument it caused with the DW , (I WAS WRONG HONEY), the trip turned out great and we're already planning our next. Appreciate all the great info posted by everyone.

feel bad that had to happen to you, especially on your first trip to Aruba.....glad however it all turned out well....and that you are planning to go back...
    we have used thrifty in the past without problems, but I usually have no loyalty to any car rental company since their rates seem to change yearly...meaning I have used many and have really never had one problem that I can say really mattered....or was not immediately fixed when I called them.....so, try one of the others next year and maybe if you are flying in late again, use Bully the Taxi Driver we all have used in the past and have the rental agency deliver your car to you at the hotel in the morning...this way no worries !!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    wow :-(not good !!!:-(
    but, aruba's time is 1 hr ahead of US eastern time.
    so, 10:50pm on your us cellphone was really 11:50 aruba time.
    When you turn on your U.S. cellphone in Aruba, it automatically adjusts to the local time, just like it does anywhere you travel.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

Aruba since 1979
    my verizon blackberry did not......

Then I think you need either a new phone or a new service provider!

Seriously though, I've been using T-Mobile in Aruba since 2005 and have had 3 different phones since then (currently have an android - Samsung Vibrant) and have always had my time adjust to the local time as soon as I turn it on no matter where we've traveled over the years....Aruba, London, Paris...or anywhere in the U.S. where the time zone changes.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 --
    36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

amy, until i got my most recent phone a few months ago, mine didn't change to local time until the first phone call. turning it on did nothing in different time zones. sort of an irritant but ...., lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Amy~ View Post
    Then I think you need either a new phone or a new service provider!

Seriously though, I've been using T-Mobile in Aruba since 2005 and have had 3 different phones since then (currently have an android - Samsung Vibrant) and have always had my time adjust to the local time as soon as I turn it on no matter where we've traveled over the years....Aruba, London, Paris...or anywhere in the U.S. where the time zone changes.

Verizon phones are CDMA, not GSM, that could be the problem.

Back to the car rental...
    Renting from the airport is more expensive than getting a rental off site. The rental companies charge 10% airport fee so many of us "regulars" get cars from other companies not located at the airport.
    Next time pick up the car the next morning, better idea!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast