Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Got standed at airport due to Car rental mess up

Aruba since 1979
    well yes and no

the 10% airport surcharge for the airport rental cars likely would be less than the taxi from the airport to your hotel and then from your hotel to the airport

so to some, a car rental at the airport is better on the wallet.

some of the car rental places provide free shuttles to their off airport locations, eliminating the airport tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Back to the car rental...
    Renting from the airport is more expensive than getting a rental off site. The rental companies charge 10% airport fee so many of us "regulars" get cars from other companies not located at the airport.
    Next time pick up the car the next morning, better idea!!

We prefer Tropic Car Rental ... if he's available! You have to book months in advance, and this upcoming trip Hans has no cars available for us!

Anyone have experience using Value? We haven't heard much at all about them, but the couple reviews we saw were positive. Anyone???

Aruba since 1979
    as of a few months ago, hans still only had 28 vehicles. he is really a small business and you are right, reservations way far in advance are necessary.

i have heard noting good/bad /indifferent of value.
    i do hear good things of OPTIMA.

Quote Originally Posted by EHampite View Post
    We prefer Tropic Car Rental ... if he's available! You have to book months in advance, and this upcoming trip Hans has no cars available for us!

Anyone have experience using Value? We haven't heard much at all about them, but the couple reviews we saw were positive. Anyone???

Hans referred me to Optima when he couldn't accomodate. I always try Hans but even with a few months notice he never seems to have anything available. I would love to give him the business as everyone raves about him. My problem is that he only has small cars and I usually don't know until a few months before how many we will be but that becomes MY issue. Good establishments get booked up quickly.
    Last edited by Randi; 02-04-2011 at 12:23 PM.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Hans referred me to Optima when he couldn't accomodate. I always try Hans but even with a few months notice he never seems to have anything available. I would love to give him the business as everyone raves about him. My problem is that he only has small cars and I usually don't know if until a few months before how many we will be that becomes MY issue. Good establishments get booked up quickly.
    We use both Tropic and Optima (now called Payless). It's always good to have a back-up with the car rentals. We've been very pleased with both of them over the years.
    ~Amy~ - 35th trip to Aruba: New Years Eve 2017/2018 -- Zihuatanejo, MX: March 2018 -- Ireland: June/July 2018 -- 36th trip to Aruba: Sept. 2018

jaw
    I have used Ace Rental for several years, but always make the reservation about 6 months in advance. They pick up at the airport, and take you to the airport when leaving Aruba.

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    last year we used USave and had a good experience with them -- had a nice little Rav4

AVOID THRIFTY AT ALL COSTS!!!! Terrible service!!!

Just returned from a great trip to Aruba with a family group of seven. Reserved a minivan 2 months ahead and when we got to the airport they had the reservation but no cars or vans. It was like an episode out of Seinfeld!! Only explanation given was it wasn't her who took the reservation (spoke to several people who all told me same thing). They actually told me that they DON'T hold cars that are reserved but if there is a car on the lot when you arrive they will rent it out and that all a reservation gets you is the same as if you just walk in from the airport. We were left having to take two cabs everywhere as Aruba only allows 5 per cab. Thrifty didn't give a care about our predicament!!

ace car rental, never a problem, but you should call few days in advance to confirm your reservation..

We had a similar situation last January with a very different result.

We arrived in Aruba around 11:30 PM local time. Our flight had been delayed. We got hung up in Customs and wife was concerned our ride wouldn't be there. She kept popping out to the waiting area to ensure the rental company's shuttle driver we were coming soon. He was all smiles and said he'd wait all night.

Got into the van and went to pick up our rental car to find that a night watchman had locked the entrance gate to the car rental area (also a Toyota dealership). The driver worked hard to get the watchman (who was drunk and asleep) to open the gate. We got our car and headed to the timeshare. Never have had more committed service.

We rent from Optima/Payless. Ask for Hector.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast