Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How is driving in Aruba?

I don't want to start a new thread, so i'll ask in here, since this is a driving thread, and sorry for hijacking your thread(to OP):

Do they drive on right side of road or drive like they do in Europe?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisinStl View Post
    Do they drive on right side of road or drive like they do in Europe?
    http://www.aruba.com/traveltoaruba.aspx#dlSectionLnk201
    "Driving is on the right side of the road, foreign and international driving licenses accepted. ..."

Road signs are international however so familiarize yourself with the signs at the link above if you are not familiar already.

Aruba since 1979
    :-) :-) ty.

very easy to drive. you cannot get lost. and you drive on the right side, like the states.

One of the reasons why we are enthralled with Aruba is the comfort we have with driving ourselves around the island. We have rented cars, motorcycles and ATV's. While there are indeed times when one has to be extremely attentive to what's going on in traffic, it is certainly no worse than driving in the States. Having visited other Caribbean islands, Aruba is one of the few locations we're willing to propel ourselves around.

I love driving in Aruba, and I find that the people in traffic have a very common decency: stopping to let pedestrians cross the road, letting cars pass who seem to be in a hurry. I guess it's the pace of the island. I've never had a bad experience in traffic (yet?).
    But hey like everyone says, just keep driving carefully as you would at home, only this time on the right ride of the road.
    Renting a car is a convenience, cause you'll never know where you'll wanna go at what time.

Driving is generally easy. There is however one thing to watch out for, particularly as you head toward the east. The road from the Airport to Baby beach is two lanes in most spots. It seem like a good percentage of people drive way under the speed limit and an even greater percentage well above the limit. This of course results in a lot of passing.

So, just drive defensively. If some one wants to pass, let them. Especially if they are going the other direction (i.e. head on). --It never hurts to give them a little room. (move right or slow down)

Aruba since 1979
    and remember NO TURN ON RED.
    i have learned the hard way, stopped a couple of times AND by the same police officer.
    embarrassing to say the least.

The road situation has generally improved. It had been horrible, with multiple collisions per day, many of them serious. I noticed during the Feb-April sojourn, a greater police presence on the highway, with coverage in the local papers of how many citations issued: quite a few.

A driver will notice the aggression, the willingness of drivers entering the main road from access roads to nose out, see the oncoming driver hesitate, then they dart out in front. Also insane people who pass with over blind hills and around dangerous curves.

Thankfully, these practices are diminishing.

Aruba's Novelist in Residence (sometimes)
    http://www.bentpage.wordpress.com/

Aruba since 1979
    last august (in our TROPIC car rental) i was rear ended on a road not too far from madame janette. a woman hit us from behind........she admitted she was not paying attention. we were lucky as we "only" had sore necks and were just shaken...

all should drive very defensively not only on aruba but at home, wherever home may be.

the crazies and negligent are everywhere.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast