Aruba Beach
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How is driving in Aruba?

Driving question

To get to places like Baby Beach and Andicuri Bay to snorkel do you need a 4 wheel drive jeep or can you get there with a normal rental car?

Aruba since 1979
    lisa posted this about her visit to aruba a month ago re: ANDICURI

"We attempted this. Forget about it unless you have a high clearance vehicle 4 x 4. Just as bad if not worse as attempting the Natural Pool unless there is another road and we were on the wrong one."

and YES you can make it to Baby Beach, lighthouse, alto vista, fallen down natural bridge, gold mine ruins, caves, paved road at arikok all in a regular car!

This past trip in June, dh felt very comfortable driving, which is not the norm for him Aruba. The two days we rented an SUV to drive around and see this and that, there were no issues. Though I wonder how much Garmin had to do with it.

Never had any problems, although going right into town is a little dicey for me, between one ways and traffic, but no worries

Driving is pretty unique here as there is very little directions or stop signs/lights anywhere. It's actually a lot of fun as you barely have to wait to get anywhere you want to go. Also the island is so small that getting lost is never really that problematic (happened to us 3x already in 3 days!).

Eagle Beach, exploring the "Outback", Madi's tour to the Natural Pool , dinner at Papiamento's
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    last august (in our TROPIC car rental) i was rear ended on a road not too far from madame janette. a woman hit us from behind........she admitted she was not paying attention. we were lucky as we "only" had sore necks and were just shaken...

all should drive very defensively not only on aruba but at home, wherever home may be.

the crazies and negligent are everywhere.
    And I thought they were all here on the Cape!

Trained in Metro NY/NJ...

Driving in Aruba is easy. If you've driven in metro NY/NJ you will be more than sufficiently equiped to handle "traffic" in Aruba....for real fun, take a drive in any of the Central American countries. Especially Honduras where they find it thrilling to drive around at night without their lights. Or Nicaragua where you have to dodge the chicken buses on winding roads.....Aruba: PIECE OF CAKE.

One observation I have as a pedestrian,Arubans stop for pedestrians, tourists generally no.

Aruba since 1979
    hey crosby been a long time!
    i agree with your observations........aruban drivers are more courteous towards pedestrians.
    Quote Originally Posted by crosby View Post
    One observation I have as a pedestrian,Arubans stop for pedestrians, tourists generally no.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123