Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How is the driving/traffic there?

How is the driving/traffic there?

Is it crazy like in Nassau Bahamas. I would like to rent a car. And the girls are old enough to rent mo-peds but I am always concerned about the drivers.

So on a Scale of 1-10 /10 being extreme- what do you think?

Thanks
    Liz

IMO...driving is very easy,,,right side of the road like here except they use European road signs, so you have to learn them. Usually the rental companies will give you a map and on it they have the road signs and what they mean.
    Usually as guests we drive pretty cautiously, but Arubans drive like they are always late to get to their destination...so they are always zipping around you, but other than that I have found no difference...
    As for the girls...I have no opinion other than to get there, see what you think before you spend money to rent mopeds...use your judgement...
    Have a good time, the island is fantastic...!!!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

Aruba since 1979
    no where near as crazy as nassau/bahamas

you are the mom...........if the girls are still under your "rule" then you call the shots.

my opinion and bear in mind that my son is now in his mid 20s ......................if my son came to me as a teen (17 or 18) and wanted to do moped/scooter......i'd redirect him to something else.

my reasoning for denying him moped access
    -sand on roads causing some skidding
    -unfamiliar roads
    -confused tourists behind the wheel of other vehicles
    -our health insurance is NOT VALID in aruba.

that's me.
    and as my son would probably say, i was an overbearing helicopter mom when he was in high school.

i am proud of it. my badge of courage!

We rented a car & drove all over - we got lost a few times & were actually surprised when we looked up & there was Flying Fish bone!!

It was easy - even in town!!

Driving is good here, theres not many cars on the road or as packed as Bahamas but we do drive fast. You also need to watch out for the taxis they love to pass slower cars on the other side of the road. As far as mo-peds those are scooters correct? I would say no to those its not a good idea, streets are small and some people just dont look for them on the road. Come on down, relax and go with the flow.

Also, be wary of the multi-lane intersections on way from airport to Eagle Beach/low rises,such as L.G. Smith Blvd.
    Some accidents there when folks are travelling down or up the Blvd & then turn across the Blvd @ an intersection (signal is red now on this cross-street)... . banga alang.. there goes the day...

Be esp. wary of folks walking or biking @ night!

Have a great time!
    Thanks to All Who Serve!

As a mom I am with Andrea you call the shots. The island is not even half as bad as Nassau/Bahamas, but I would get here and than decide. Enjoy either way you all will love Aruba.

Thank You!

awesome advice --

thank you

peace

Liz

I found their traffic signal system was kind of confusing at intersections

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote Originally Posted by lizgizmo View Post
    Is it crazy like in Nassau Bahamas. I would like to rent a car. And the girls are old enough to rent mo-peds but I am always concerned about the drivers.

So on a Scale of 1-10 /10 being extreme- what do you think?

Thanks
    Liz
    IMOP...nix the mopeds..way to dangerous, aruba is not bermuda..score of 10. There is no way in GOD's green earth you would see my kids on a moped here, there or anywhere. Why screw around, kids don't know the rules of the road on a island. I have 2 teens, and the answer is NO from me.

Driving in aruba is easy. They do have several round a bouts, or rotarys, that are a bit sketchy, just stay aware when entering and you SB fine. Score of 2
    Last edited by cindyo; 11-02-2009 at 05:36 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast