Aruba Beach

Thread: How to Get to the Back Side of the Island

How to Get to the Back Side of the Island

I will be arriving in Aruba June 6th (can't wait!). This will be my first time back as an adult. As a kid I remember my parents and I rented a jeep and expolored the rural side of the island. I remember the natural bridge, the Fontein Cave, and a few other things. It was a great memory and I would love to repeat the epic journey. My wife and I are renting a jeep from Aruba Royal and I plan to drive around on the back side of the island. I would like to check out some caves and coves and whatever else we might stumble upon.

If I recall correctly I remember we got lost and basically wandered around until we found civilization again. My mother must have been convinced we were going to be cannabilized my native savages as we were racing the sunset to find culture again.

It appears history repeats itself since my wife already has the preconcieved notion that by driving on dirt roads there will be no way to determine direction we will get lost and never be found. So to calm her mind (and mine too), what is the easiest way to get too and from the wilderness?

Do you just drive on a big loop of the island? Is it better to cut through the center of the island to get to the back side? How do you experts do it? And yes...a jeep tour would be nice but we would like to do it at our own leisure during our week stay. Thanks again!

The natural bridge fell in a few years back, but people still go to see it. I would recommend the north side of the island and maybe the rock formations one day, and the caves on another day.

We enjoy going from the hotels thru town and towards Baby Beach. Stop at Spanish Lagoon along the way. When leaving Baby Beach, drive along the ocean and this will take you by the caves. Just befor the Boca Prins sand dunes, there is a bar/small gift shop. After Boca Prins, we go to Dos Playa. We usually pack water and make sure you take plenty of water.

If you want a copy of the "Aruba Experience" PM me your address and I will send it to you. It has a nice map of Aruba.
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

I am all about jumping in a car/jeep and driving till i "find" something fun to explore Of course I always have my handy dandy Borch map with me
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    Quote Originally Posted by BigOldXJ View Post

It appears history repeats itself since my wife already has the preconcieved notion that by driving on dirt roads there will be no way to determine direction we will get lost and never be found. Do you just drive on a big loop of the island?
    My husband, in his boyscout wisdom, sticks a small compass in his bag so he know's which way is which...

Tom/Karen, its funny that you mentioned your Borch map. I ordered it a few hours ago. After some googling this morning it appears that this is the best map to have. I should have it in a few days.

ArubaLisa...excellent article. Thank you.

It seems that exploring the northern side of the island is easy...just go east past the California Lighthouse. The southern portion is also somewhat easy...just keep driving by the ocean past baby beach. What about the central portion? Is it best to approach via the north/south? Or is it better to just drive right through the middle of the island?

By the way....is it even safe to drive through the rather complex residential areas in the center of the island? Should I "watch my back"? Or just go the long way via north/south?

I am thinking about bringing my GPS with me. Even though there wont be any roads on my GPS map....it will tell me where I've been with a little dotted trail. If worst comes to worst...just follow the dotted trail back to where to came from.

There was a post a while back about loading a map of aruba on Garmin GPS. I didn't get around to doing it but I plan on doing it before my next trip.

Quote Originally Posted by chadd View Post
    there was a post a while back about loading a map of aruba on garmin gps. I didn't get around to doing it but i plan on doing it before my next trip.
    Quote Originally Posted by arubalisa View Post
    http://rwsmaps.griffel.se/ this is longitude/ lattitude. With the small number of roads and the ones you wanting being on the coastline, hopefully it will be sufficient for your needs.