Aruba Beach

Thread: the INCONVENIENCES of carnival parade?

Aruba since 1979

the INCONVENIENCES of carnival parade?

Yesterday's Grand Carnival Parade has come and gone and I have been thinking about the impact from the event on the taxi drivers.

Because of the parade route, the trip from the airport to the hotel areas is not a nice easy straight shot.

There is significant zig zagging and detouring to get from point A to point B.

Is there a special surcharge for the extra time and aggravation that the taxi drivers endure?
    (over and above the usual sunday/holiday surcharge?)

We rent a car. As soon as Andrea posts the carnival schedule, I look to see if any of the activities impact my planned driving to/from the airport for us or our kids who come on a different schedule. This year I there was no interference. If there is, we just drive the back way and come out by the drive-in.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    We tried to make a reservation at Barefoot this year on the day of the Lighting Parade. They had to close because of the parade. The parades definitely impact the businesses along the parade route.

Quote Originally Posted by hatteras View Post
    We tried to make a reservation at Barefoot this year on the day of the Lighting Parade. They had to close because of the parade. The parades definitely impact the businesses along the parade route.
    Us too. We couldn't get into Barefoot on the Sunday. We've never hit an issue with the parade though... I imagine, if we were staying in the resort areas, it would be a pain trying to get to and from the airport.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    We've gone to the airport on the day of the grand parade before with Bully. Bully usually takes the back roads anyway. The parade doesn't get to the downtown area until very late in the day. We are usually at the airport by 2:00, so it has never been a problem for us.

I thought about this very thing while watching some of the parade on the Port Aruba webcam. It was turned to face the parade. I kept telling my husband what a nightmare it must be if someone wanted to get from one side of downtown to the other. From what I could see on the webcam, there were people everywhere.