Aruba Beach

Thread: Large 4x4 SUV In-Airport Rental?

Large 4x4 SUV In-Airport Rental?

Thanks to everyone on this board. I've gained some great insights.
    Next month, our family, 4 adults and 2 children, will be going back to Aruba and I have a mini-van rented at Alamo for great rate through Costco dot com. However, I wanted to explore the island more on this trip so I'm looking for a 7 passenger SUV with 4 wheel drive.
    I prefer a reputable rental agency that is either in-airport or car can be picked up at the airport. Free car seats and reasonable price would be nice too.
    I know there are some off-sight places but they have so-so reputations and the thought lugging the kids and their stuff on to a shuttle bus makes me cringe.
    Avis does offer one but is sold out for our travel dates, Aug 4- 11.
    Any recommendations or thoughts would be appreciated.

Just a thought...would it be more convenient, and since you already have gotten a good "deal", to keep the mini-van rental and rent an SUV 4 X 4 for one day?

There are rental companies such as Royal or Amigo, which will deliver the 4 X 4 vehicle to your resort and then you would have an entire day for touring spots not easily accessible by minivan. There are only a few spots you would need the 4 x 4 and depending on what you are paying for the minivan, it may save you some $$$.

Wow, thought never occurred to me. That is definitely an option. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by drelo View Post
    Wow, thought never occurred to me. That is definitely an option. Thanks.
    The only area you would have to have a 4 x 4 would be if you were going to the Natural Pool. IMO, take another mode of transportation to get there. Watch this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKB1jSWXij0 at about 1:21 and you will see why. Not to mention the liability should the vehicle be damaged.

Our last trip we were on some pretty hilly dirt roads with a minivan in the vicinity of the Donkey Sanctuary and made out just fine.

Actually thinking about exploring the natural pool therefore 4 wheel drive. Would love to do a Jeep tour but last year had a pregnant wife and a small child; this year two small children. Best I can do is my own tour.
    Any opinions on Discount Car Rent:
    discountrentcars dot com
    They have the large SUV I'm looking for and "free airport handling" (whatever that means). Have not seen anything with regards to their reputation either way.