Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: A little late to discuss but does this seem strange?

Aruba since 1979
    you are exactly right cindy......bully certainly does not play any games. he is a hard worker, has a huge following and is "aruba"

I completely agree with everyone and we do love Bully. We had actaully brought a baseball for him and his son signed by the Upton brothers on our last trip and the "lady" taxi driver said she would get it to him, needless to say we DID NOT leave it with her. We will take it back with us in October and make sure Bully gets it!

I brought this up more as a warning about the concierge and their taxi "game" so that others wouldnt feel as rushed and overwhelmed as we did. Not to mention how horrible we felt thinking that Bully or his guys didnt get the fare from us that they so deserve.

It's definitely my fault for not bringing this up sooner to the Marriot staff but I figured better a warning late than never. The more I think back to the whole way it went down I agree with the jealousy/competition thing.

If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, ... I would go with your gut and know that you were scammed.

I cannot add much to the conversation except to say that Bully is not only knowledgeable and dependable-- he is HONEST We have met way more than just 1 DISHONEST taxi driver in Aruba and Bully is stands in a class way above them.

AND

SHAME ON THE RENAISSANCE EMPLOYEES
    for scamming you! Certainly not a reflection on all of the employees at the Renaissance, but if management knew something like this occurred, do they endorse their employees lying and essentially stealing for others?

We will be first timers to Aruba next June. Would you be kind enough to share info to schedule Bully for pickup and return to airport. Thank you for your assistance. Also we will be staying at Playa Linda. Do you feel we need to rent a car? or can we walk to most places?

Unhappy Strange? Yes. Bully? Definitely not!

Quote Originally Posted by dipeblnd View Post
    I know this is WAY after the situation actually took place but as I was planning for our 9th trip this fall I started thinking about our departure ride back to the airport last year and how strange it was.

So we normally book with Bully for our rides to and from the airport and Renaissance Marina hotel. Bully is always on time and usually there before we are. If Bully has somehtign to do or somethign comes up he always sends Hubert and ofcourse he always knows our name and who he is picking up.

All of that being said when we were leaving the Renaissance and heading back to the airport we went down to retrieve our bags from the concierge about 10 mins before our prearranged time to meet Bully. When the concierge brought our bags to us he asked if we needed a taxi and we told him Bully was picking us up, he immediately said "oh Bully was here but had to leave..." mind you we were a bit early still. He then told us that Bully had arranged for this taxi to take us as he called the first taxi waiting in the taxi line, they hurried us into the taxi and said it was all Bully's idea. Mind you my husband had been standing in the Renaissance sitting area by the water taxi so he had plan view of the pick up area and never saw Bully's van.

Now I am fine with being busy and arranging another ride but I really felt like this was a hustle by the concierge. It was all really weird and rushed and she even quickly dialed a number and said she was talking to Bully although it in NO way sounded like Bully. While we were a little sketched out by this at that moment we didnt put all the pieces together until we got to the airport and started talking about it.

Does anyone else find this strange??? I am in no way blaming Bully on this I think this was on the part of the hotel and I have again trusted my airport transfers t Bully for this trip.

I think that's terrible what the concierge did! I've been using Bully for about seven years now, and he has always left messages on the phone in our room confirming pick up on average 2 days in advance. If he is unable to personally drive us (Grandma and Sasha crazy about him), he lets us know whether Hubert or Ivan will be coming. They know us by sight and vice-versa and are both lovely gentlemen.

The taxi industry seems to have become even more competitive over the last few years and for people making their living this way, some may resort to unethical tactics. I think that there is an excellent chance that Bully is the most popular driver on the island and that may have others' noses out of joint. If Bully had to leave as the concierge said, he would have left a directive at the front desk to inform you of either Hubert or Ivan picking you up. Since this did not happen, you are 100% correct that it was strange and very unprofessional on the part of the concierge!

Bully books up fast, so you may want to provide him with your itinerary as soon as you purchase your airline tickets. I'm not sure I can post his email address here so I will err on the side of caution and not. Maybe one of the moderators will be able to assist with putting you in direct contact with Bully.

If I may add, Bully has so much knowledge of the island, that I heartily recommend that you ask him about a private tour. There is no better tour guide in my opinion and the tour that Bully gave to my family was quite memorable. My Mom now has dementia and can no longer travel, but boy does she remember Bully and Kevin!!

Aruba since 1979
    Bullytaxi79@hotmail.com

welcome to the forum susan!

also too, if you write to bully, expect the return to say from amador lacle' (Bully's real name)

Quote Originally Posted by susanmackey View Post
    We will be first timers to Aruba next June. Would you be kind enough to share info to schedule Bully for pickup and return to airport. Thank you for your assistance. Also we will be staying at Playa Linda. Do you feel we need to rent a car? or can we walk to most places?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrea J. View Post
    Bullytaxi79@hotmail.com

welcome to the forum susan!

also too, if you write to bully, expect the return to say from amador lacle' (Bully's real name)
    ...and check your spam/junk mail folder if you think you did not receive a response.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12