Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: low-high rise

Aruba since 1979
    tom's da bomb
    where else woould you find kind and hospitable folks?
    here of course!!!
    ANDREA

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
    My hat's off to you all on this forum...you obviously love "your little island" and go out of your way to help newbies like myself.
    Thanks again for all the great advice! You guys are fantastic!
    Musicman

Tom and Karen,

Thank you very much..I sent you a PM.

Thanks to Everyone for your great input!
    I really appreciate it!

Musicman

Musicman: I have driven on St. John and, believe me, Aruba is easier. The only thing you HAVE to watch out for are traffic lights. They are different. For example. The light down the way from Ling's is confusing to tourists. You do NOT go by the light across the road but by the one on your right or left (left if you are turning left, etc.) right next to where you are sitting. I have seen soooo many V cars (visitors) go through the lights because they are looking to where we usually have OUR traffic lights. AND no right turn on red please!!

Thanks, Linda VH,
    Great info. Are all traffic lights set up in this configuration? This IS a bit confusing. What if you're going straight? So..let me see if I've got this right. If I'm turning left or right , I go by the light closest to my left or right....if I'm going straight, I go by the light across the street. Is that correct?

And no right turn on red! Got that one!
    Thanks..
    Musicman

You go by the light closest to you at all times.

Quote Originally Posted by Musicman View Post
    Thanks, Linda VH,
    Great info. Are all traffic lights set up in this configuration? This IS a bit confusing. What if you're going straight? So..let me see if I've got this right. If I'm turning left or right , I go by the light closest to my left or right....if I'm going straight, I go by the light across the street. Is that correct?

And no right turn on red! Got that one!
    Thanks..
    Musicman
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

Exactly!!! Closest to you at all times!!! Came by an accident the other day with the woman tourist loudly proclaiming that "that light" was green. Imagine her surprise when it was explained that "that light" WASN'T her light and she caused the accident.

OK! I think I've got it now....I appreciate the info. You guys are fantastic!
    Yes, it would not be good to cause an accident while on vacation and this info on the red lights should be posted somewhere for all tourists upon arrival..maybe by the rental companies.
    Another question I had was about drinking and driving. Are you allowed to have open beers or alcoholic drinks in the car while driving? I don't mean is it ok to drive while intoxicated but I know on St John you can drink openly in public and drive around while drinking. Anybody know the laws on that issue?
    Thanks!
    Musicman

Quote Originally Posted by danadog56 View Post
    I agree, there is parking but it seems to be harder and harder to get a spot...with the new shopping mall opened the spaces are not as readily accessible....I would also suggest a bus....easy on and easy off.....
    I parked at the lot next to Chino Latino every time I went to the high rise district in both March and April and never had an issue. Rarely were those lots much above half full.

As for the lights, they seemed pretty intuitive to me. I just have to watch the right turn on red.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12