Aruba Beach
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By Arubalisa
  • 1 Post By CDNJehn
  • 2 Post By CDNJehn

Thread: Natural Pool: Drive yourself or ATV tour? Opinions?

Question Natural Pool: Drive yourself or ATV tour? Opinions?

We have rented a small car through our hotel for our upcoming trip (THREE WEEKS!!!). It's a decent price, and likely perfectly adequate for the two of us. We had planned on leaving the car behind one day and booking the ATV tour through KiniKini. We'd like to go to the natural pool on this trip.

We now have the option of switching our little car to a jeep for an extra $125. My thought was if we did that, we could get to the natural pool on our own, have the jeep for the week (I've always wanted a jeep!) and skip the ATV tour.

My heart says "Ooooh a Jeep for the week, how fun!!!" BUT my brain is nudging me to stick with the little car and do without the hassle of getting to the natural pool on our own ... and the possible damage that might go with that trip.

I've read a lot of conflicting reports about the risks of driving yourself to the natural pool. So,e people with horror stories and others that say people exaggerate too much. What are your thoughts given the two choices we have? Thanks!

Aruba since 1979
    people do not exaggerate too much re:this trip to the natural pool

i recommend a tour.

check out this thread
    Natural Pool Visit for Cheap for 5

Thanks Andrea. My brain knows this is the safest/right answer...it just needs a second opinion sometimes.
    I'm going to check out Madi's tours as well. Forgot about that one.

I would opt for the Kini Kini ATV tour. We did it and it was excellent. Horseback would probably be another good option to get to the natural pool.

Considering driving yourself? What the right rear wheel lift off the ground about 1:23 into this video

This video was the one that led to my question Lisa! Eek!!!

We've rented a jeep and driven ourselves once. I would not recommend it. My sister in law drove, did an awesome job at driving, however we all agreed to never do that again! It is a rough drive. Let the experts do their thing - the know the path the best!
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

My 2 cents: We have been going to Aruba for 12 years( never went to the pool) Last May decided to drive there, it is a rough ride but I never could have imagined a more better time. We should have done it years ago. That being said: if you have never driven off road and don't mind being bounced around (a lot) take a jeep. If not for you do the tour. I followed a tour in and it was really cool.

I think driving the in canadian winter counts as off-roading, right? I think, since this is our first time there, we'll do the tour and see what we are dealing with. Then I can decide if we're comfortable with the terrain or not. Trip #2 we can make a call based on our experiences. I don't want to spend time worrying on vacation.

There aren't any cruise ships in port the day after we arrive, so we're planning to book a tour for that day. That'll help us get our bearings before we head out to tour the on-road spots on our own.

We have driven to the Natural Pool twice by jeep. The drive is an adventure of itself and can be easily done with patience and good driving skills. My son, who was 19 at the time, drove us there on the second trip with me as lookout without a hitch. If you're comfortable in rough terrain and off roaring go for it, if not, I would take the advise of the others and take a guided tour.