Aruba Beach
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: New Rental Car Insurance Policy

New Rental Car Insurance Policy

I read on another site that as of Feb 1, 2016 there is a new policy that renters will have to produce their own insurance coverage if they decline coverage from the rental company. Anyone know more about this?
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

I just rented a car from National last week and was not asked to produce my own insurance when I declined their insurance.

This issue was with Avis. Maybe it is only them.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    I read on another site that as of Feb 1, 2016 there is a new policy that renters will have to produce their own insurance coverage if they decline coverage from the rental company. Anyone know more about this?
    They didn't ask for proof at Hertz but they were pretty explicit about the car being our responsibility if anything happens to it with or without coverage. Check with your credit card company - ours (it's a Canadian VISA) has it in writing to NOT take the optional coverage as it'll negate the card provider insurance. It's a premium travel card though.

Our Capitol 1 card is the same way. We always decline it.

Quote Originally Posted by act1966 View Post
    They didn't ask for proof at Hertz but they were pretty explicit about the car being our responsibility if anything happens to it with or without coverage. Check with your credit card company - ours (it's a Canadian VISA) has it in writing to NOT take the optional coverage as it'll negate the card provider insurance. It's a premium travel card though.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Boca Catalina, Arashi Beach Manchebo Beach, Eagle Beach
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacki View Post
    This issue was with Avis. Maybe it is only them.
    We rented a car from Avis at Costa Linda a few weeks ago. I had already reserved it online. When I went to pick it up, the lady who was issuing the car said that I had to have proof of insurance. This was not mentioned anywhere on my confirmation letter. I told her that I had never heard of this and didn't have that with me,and that I had insurance and had called my credit card company to make sure that it was covered. She just shrugged and gave me the car. We were also never given any information about the new parking meters downtown. You would think that they would inform people of all of these things beforehand.

My credit card also provides coverage, and it states specifically to decline the optional insurance offered by the rental car agency. I have a printed copy of their policy I keep in my Aruba folder.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    My credit card also provides coverage, and it states specifically to decline the optional insurance offered by the rental car agency. I have a printed copy of their policy I keep in my Aruba folder.
    That is very sensible. When describing "rental car insurance" it is critical to distinguish between third-party automobile liability (bodily injury or property damage to others) and first-party damage to the rented vehicle itself.

For example, Tropic's web site mentions third-party liability, but it doesn't tell you how much. $25,000? $1,000,000? US dollars? Florins? You need to read the rental agreement.

It is a good idea for anyone declining the collision/theft damage waiver to read the Credit Card agreement in full detail. Then put it down and read it again so you are aware of all of the fine print.

There are loopholes in all of them. On mine (Capital One MasterCard), off-road use is excluded, trucks or full size vans are excluded, vehicles over $50,000 are excluded, and loss of any unlocked vehicle is excluded, to name a few. Take your car to the other side, leave it unlocked, and someone steals it - you're out of pocket.

Personal Auto policies from the US generally do not extend to Liability Physical Damage claims in foreign countries. Umbrella Policies will often include Liability protection worldwide, but not physical damage to the rented vehicle. Anyone renting cars regularly in Aruba should obtain an Umbrella, period.

Rhys
    Last edited by Rhys; 03-04-2016 at 11:20 AM.

Our rental car was struck by another car a couple of years ago while in a parking lot. Capitol 1 reimbursed the total amount, including the damage appraisal fee of 150 florins within 10 business days of returning home to the states. The total bill came to 1500 florins.
    TRIP 15 OCTOBER 2018

OUR COUPLE'S RETREAT. THE PEARL CONDO HOTEL AT EAGLE BEACH. CONDO ACCOMMODATES TWO ADULTS. YOU MUST REQUEST UNIT #8. https://photos.app.goo.gl/lRquP1F4VtxyZhR42 RENTING DIRECTLY THROUGH http://www.thepearlaruba.com/.

Quote Originally Posted by schexc View Post
    Our rental car was struck by another car a couple of years ago while in a parking lot. Capitol 1 reimbursed the total amount, including the damage appraisal fee of 150 florins within 10 business days of returning home to the states. The total bill came to 1500 florins.
    Schexc - how did the rental company handle it? Did they bill your credit card for the damages? Or did they deal with the credit card insurance directly? Hertz has recently taken to saying that you can't leave the island until the car damage is paid for...not sure how they'd enforce that though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast