• 1 Post By WaltVB
  • 1 Post By Andrea J.
  • 1 Post By WaltVB
  • 1 Post By arubabob
  • 2 Post By kent
  • 1 Post By smoki

Thread: New Rental Car Policy at the Airport

New Rental Car Policy at the Airport

Thought I'd share an email I just got from Hans at Tropic. It won't affect everyone, but it is a policy change made by the Airport Authority...

"Dear Client,

This letter is to inform you of changes made by the Aruba Airport Authority. The Aruba Airport Authority is reducing the number of car rental companies allowed to do business from a kiosk at the airport from 22 to 10. The companies wishing to do business at the airport were required to send in their bids. From the 18 companies that sent in their bids, 10 were chosen and agreed with the new lease agreement. This lease agreement results in a considerable increase of the monthly rents, introduction of an airport tax and other secondary conditions stipulated by the airport. To protect those rental companies that will do business at the airport, the Aruba Airport Authority does not want other car rental companies to conduct business at the airport. As a result of these changes, Tropic Car Rental is no longer allowed to do the paperwork in the public parking lot, as we did in the past, therefore the paperwork must be done in advance."

It goes on to give instructions for filling out the paperwork online and the info for meeting at the airport.

Aruba since 1979
    yup. this has been in effect for about 2 or 3 years

the process is so easy.
    fill in the form that TROPIC sends, print 2 copies.
    when you arrive, give one copy to Hans or Denis and keep the other.
    drive away and enjoy your time in aruba!

walt...you are 12 days out!!!! are you almost ready?

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    Thought I'd share an email I just got from Hans at Tropic. It won't affect everyone, but it is a policy change made by the Airport Authority...

"Dear Client,

This letter is to inform you of changes made by the Aruba Airport Authority. The Aruba Airport Authority is reducing the number of car rental companies allowed to do business from a kiosk at the airport from 22 to 10. The companies wishing to do business at the airport were required to send in their bids. From the 18 companies that sent in their bids, 10 were chosen and agreed with the new lease agreement. This lease agreement results in a considerable increase of the monthly rents, introduction of an airport tax and other secondary conditions stipulated by the airport. To protect those rental companies that will do business at the airport, the Aruba Airport Authority does not want other car rental companies to conduct business at the airport. As a result of these changes, Tropic Car Rental is no longer allowed to do the paperwork in the public parking lot, as we did in the past, therefore the paperwork must be done in advance."

It goes on to give instructions for filling out the paperwork online and the info for meeting at the airport.
    I got this notification about 3 years ago.

I wonder why it was made to sound like it was something that just happened? Oh well... Andrea, I will start preparing in earnest this coming Saturday. We've got the packing down to a science, frozen food prep is beginning, restaurant lists are coming together, RSVPs for Aruba Bob, car (Jacki ), airlines, hotel and timeshare complete. So I guess I'm close to ready. Friday is my last day of work before the vacation starts. The worst part is I have to stay busy for four days till we fly out Wednesday. Sorry to go so off-topic, but you asked!

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    It is not a problem renting, it is how it has to be done in certain circumstances. Tropic never had a booth at the airport so they always brought your car to the airport parking lot for you. They filled out the paperwork in the parking lot and you were on your way. After the airport authority decreased the number of authorized rental agencies, they also made it illegal to fill out the rental agreement in the parking lot. So now tropic sends you an Email with the rental agreement and you fill it out and print it and take it with you. When you get to the airport Hans meets you across the street and takes you to your car. You give him the signed agreement and he gives you the keys and paid parking ticket. You are on your way. It is actually faster than it was before because you have already done the paperwork. The airport authority is probably trying to figure out a way to keep him from driving his cars into the parking lot.

P.S. Parking at the airport was free until a few years ago.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 08-19-2015 at 01:48 PM. Reason: thanks arubabob!

And the good thing about Hans, is he is always there. I had so many companies stand me up but never did Hans stand me up. He is top notch and will be there waiting for you with a BIG smile!!!
    Snorkel Mangel Halto, day or night with a waterscooter. Check out our website. E-mail Stuart at arubabob@live.com or call Stuart local: 745-7459 Or visit: www.arubabobsnorkeling.com 50th trip Dec 11, 2017

I just e-mailed Hans for December. We have always used Hertz because Tropic was always booked so I am hoping It is available. I have not had any issues with Hertz but they are more expensive and (paperwork takes a while). People love Tropic, so it's time for me to switch.
    Thanks everyone!

Aruba since 1979
    i hope that he has a vehicle for you !
    Quote Originally Posted by smoki View Post
    I just e-mailed Hans for December. We have always used Hertz because Tropic was always booked so I am hoping It is available. I have not had any issues with Hertz but they are more expensive and (paperwork takes a while). People love Tropic, so it's time for me to switch.
    Thanks everyone!