Aruba Beach

Thread: To Nikko- Van Rentals

To Nikko- Van Rentals

Quote Originally Posted by nikko View Post
    next question...who was it that rented a van...we will be 7 people.....lol
    Our experiences and our experiences only. Over the past 14 years we have had some really terrific and some really horrible. Below are some details from our trip reports on our most recent rentals.

Just as a point of information, U.S. "national chain" rental agencies in Aruba franchises and not U.S. corporate owned.

This December we shopped around for prices and availability for a 13 passenger van for two days and have reserved with Amigo. Christmas is busy so even booking 4 months in advance, they only had a manual trans. still available.

June 2009
    "There have been many a time we have had some not so great rentals while in Aruba and this van was in excellent condition, with fully functioning everything- air conditioning, power windows, a full tank of gas and plenty of windshield washer fluid. Anyone who has rented in Aruba before understands that with all of the dust, this is a huge plus. We would recommend Avis to others." http://www.avis.aw/CMS/default.aspx

June 2008
    "Dh had called around to get prices. We usually use Royal Car Rental and they had nothing available. We had a bad experience with Hertz in the past and even though they were at the Tamarijn we were hesitant to use them. It did not matter because they too had no SUV available. Dh found a rental with Amigo Car Rental. They offered free pick up and drop off at the hotel. Only downside unlike Royal who brings the vehicle to you and allows you to do the paperwork there at the hotel, the men had to go back to their office to do the paperwork. We ended up with a newly new Hyundai Santa Fe with front wheel drive."
    http://www.arubaroyal.com/
    http://www.amigocar.com/
    http://www.arubarentcar.com/ Hertz

December 2007
    "and I had worked it out so that about the middle of the vacation, when we thought there might be a chance that the kids would begin to get bored with the Tamarijn, we would have two SUV's for the 10 of us to tour the island for three days. We made the reservation with Aruba Royal Car Rental in April for late December for two Suzuki XL-7's. The day before they were to drop off the rentals, Royal called us to say that they would not have the vehicles the following morning, but could drop them off late afternoon. Jerry called them and said why not just make it the morning after that since we did not plan on using the vehicles at night anyway. The kids could have cared less about not leaving the resort. They were happy to continue doing what they were doing. A day after originally scheduled Royal appeared with two vehicles, one Suzuki and a Jeep Wrangler. The second Suzuki we had reserved had not yet been turned in. The Jeep Wrangler ended up being not in the best of shape, bottom of the barrel really. I can only imagine the amount of wear and tear those things go through. Jerry telephoned Royal at the end of the day and asked them to just come pick it up and we would just keep the one vehicle. After one day of touring, the kids and my parents had seen enough, so basically after that we just wanted the rentals to drive around to some snorkel spots one day and do something to be determined later on the third day. Royal was nice enough to come the very first thing next morning and switch out the Wrangler with a Lexus RX300 SUV at the same price as the Wrangler. After this we had no further vehicle problems."

thank you so much. i knew i read this forum everyday for a reason!! lol

Aruba since 1979
    http://www.tropiccarrent-aruba.com/

i am suggesting that u consider 2 smaller vehicles.
    convenience, independence, if the 2 families want to break off and do different things.....dining, shopiing, snorkeling...whatever

u should be able to get 2 toyta yaris from tropic (see link) for less than $400 for the week

my experience has only been with TROPIC
    IMO the company is the BEST and the owner is wonderful.

Need Help/Advice on Car Rentals

Hi - Coming into Aruba this Saturday with my husband and four children. I had confirmed jeep rentals for the week. Received a phone call saying jeeps were no longer available. I am in desperate need for a mini/van or SUV that can hold 6 people (3 of them are over 6' tall)...without paying a bloody fortune. Do you have any advice for me? I am desperate for a car...

Aruba since 1979
    avis? optima? (i know tropic is sold out, but only has yaris.)

Most resorts have on site rentals, don't panic you should be able to go to any resort and see what they have, never had a problrm locating what we needed, might have to wait a day, but then that would be a beach day!

try going online, to carrentals and punch in aruba....or visit aruba.com theywill have prices

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Sopranos Piano Bar, Café 080, Costa Linda
    Some correct and useful statements in this thread... Correct that you are not neccesarily getting a better or safer car by using a name you know such as Hertz.

I have used Amigo twice this month, and they were reliable, with pick up and drop off service.

Recent experience 12/19 - 12/29

Hertz had NOTHING available for the duration of our stay. The Hertz desk at the Tamarijn was not manned and nearly had a sign stating no vehicles available until 1/3? I would not be surprised if there were any car agencies who had anything available Christmas week.

Amigo
    As stated previously, we reserved from them in advance (September) a 12 passenger van. At time of reservation we were informed there were only standard transmissions available. That was fine.

The vehicle appeared as scheduled at our resort and took our driver (my db ) back to their office to do the paperwork. The van was in perfect working order and clean. I do not hesitate to recommend them. http://www.amigocar.com/

Sometimes you really DO get what you pay for.