Aruba Beach
Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Parking downtown

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Okay, so does that mean if you wanted to put florin in for one hour, it would be either two of the 1 florin or just one of the 2 florin??? Sorry Rob, I still am confused. I am no good when it comes to foreign currency and coins. Paper is one thing but coins, no...

Okay, we're going overboard on this. Apparently it's a parking meter/machine. Just like in almost every large city in the US and most other countries.There is a 1 florin coin. I have never seen a 2 florin coin, and I have about 50 florin in change right now that I have accumulated this trip. As Rob said there are 1, 5, 10, 25, and 50 cent coins along with a 1 florin and 5 florin coin. 100 cents makes a florin. We are getting ready to go downtown today and I will again look for the parking machines. I still haven't seen one after looking quite diligently, so I'm not sure where they are or apply. I always park on the side street by 7 West or where Carlos and Charlie's used to be, there is no charge to park there. It amazes me we have discussed this more than the merits of Madame Janette's... I swear I will do everything I can to locate this machine and figure out what the hell is up with it... stand by for my next post on this subject.

Quote Originally Posted by WaltVB View Post
    ...........It amazes me we have discussed this more than the merits of Madame Janette's... I swear I will do everything I can to locate this machine and figure out what the hell is up with it... stand by for my next post on this subject.
    WaltVB, this post is a classic! Love it.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

Parking downtown-image.jpg

OK.....here are some Aruban coins. I think there are 1 & 2 cents as well....

Would love to see a meter that accepts the square 50 cent and 5 florin coins
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    okay, quick money question. it says 2 awg for an hour. now the coins. if the coin says 10 on it, does that mean its 5 x 2 awg or have I gotten it all wrong. I have coins that have "1", "5", "10", "50", etc. I'm not talking about any bills, just coins. What would you put in then? Would you put in 2 of the 1 AWG coins???? I'm trying to figure out what to be sure I have on me in way of AWG coins. I do go downtown maybe 2 or 3 times while I'm there.
    There are AFL 1, 2 and 5 coins.
    They also have cents: 5, 10, 25 and 50

A picture says more than a thousand words! Here is a pic of the coins:

http://coins.about.com/od/worldcoins...oney-Coins.htm

One hour parking costs AFL 2.

The machine takes US coins as well!

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    that's what was confusing me, the 1 cent and 1 florin. I was thinking it was the same thing. now I'm clear. sorry I'm so slow about it but that was the confusion I was having. at the bottom of my purse I found two 1 florin coins, lol.

Aruba since 1979
    those .50 and 5 florin square coins,......make nice souvenirs. "they are unique"
    they make lovely jewelry

now back on the parking topic!

CK1
    That's a sign!

Some more info:

Each parking spot has a fee of Awg 2,- per hour and can be paid at the machines installed closest to you spot. It can however be recharged at any other machine using the parking space number you are currently parked in. (This probably explains why the person in the video, using the machine, pushed so many buttons!)

Tourists can pay either with coins in local currency or in Usd $ coins. We also have the option of buying a smartcard at our office and recharge some money on it if needed. They cost Awg 15, - and have an Awg 10,- balance for parking already. Regarding the postpaid would be very difficult because they can jump into the car and run of without any consequences. Our machines are on a network and can be recharged from any other machine which is closer to you at that specific time. You do not have to walk back to the original machine you paid in the first place.

Hours of operation for the parking machines: 7 a.m to 7 p.m.
    Some exceptions: bestuurskantoor (?) and area around Royal Plaza: 7 a.m to 11 p.m.

There is a 15 minutes grace period. After that, a "boot" will be attached to the vehicle and the fine is AFL 75.
    After three hours, the vehicle will be towed by Airbus company to Sabana Blanco, towing cost is AFL 150.
    (If I understand it right, the fine of AFL 75 PLUS the towing costs of AFL 150 will apply, a total of AFL 225!)

A day pass parking from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. is available and costs AFL 25.

A "Work permit" for businesses is available and costs AFL 75 per week. (Requires paperwork).

The office of Aruparking is located at Wilhelmina straat # 13. (The smartcard can be bought there).

https://www.facebook.com/Aruparking/..._comment_reply

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course
    We will probably not venture downtown again unless we stay at the Renaissance suites. No real reason to go there except for the Paddock and El Gaucho. Everything else can be found at Palm beach or the flea market. That $75 fine for 15 minutes over is too steep.

CK1
    Quote Originally Posted by arubabob View Post
    We will probably not venture downtown again unless we stay at the Renaissance suites. No real reason to go there except for the Paddock and El Gaucho. Everything else can be found at Palm beach or the flea market. That $75 fine for 15 minutes over is too steep.
    It's AFL 75 = approx. $42. Which is still high, IMO.

I wished there were no parking fees at all, as it was in the past. It adds some stress to it, worrying about the parking, not to exceed the parking time.

Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast