Aruba Beach
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
Like Tree116Likes

Thread: Parking downtown

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    if it wasn't for the threat of the boot or the towing, I would just go and pay the parking. but they have taken it a step higher than any place here in the states. they don't tow your car or boot it here, you get a ticket. but in Aruba, it seems like they are playing hardball. Not very nice.

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I think it's also very stressful and frustrating from having very little parking rules to all of a sudden, having very strict parking rules with severe "punishment", like the "boot" or the vehicle being towed when only 3 hours over the parking time. In many countries, people get a ticket instead. And yes, I see that as harassment.

Here is an article where many tickets have been handed out.

Empleadonan Aruparking ta controlando paramento riba acera

http://www.bondia.com/?q=node%2F41220

And BonDia's FB (same article), showing 4 different photos, one of a white tow truck:

https://www.facebook.com/bondianotic...type=1&theater

CK1
    It's quite an investment, 1 Million AFL, to make so many people unhappy, tourists and locals alike.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    see the problem is the other consequences, not just the parking fee. I have no problem with that as a rule. try parking in NYC, it costs you your first born. its the other mean things like if you're not there within one hour or is it 15 minutes, I forget, you get a boot on your car & a fine. if you're not there within three hours, which short of an emergency you should be, you get towed and an even bigger fine. is that really necessary? I mean seriously. if you live there, they'll collect the regular ticket like every other country & place in the world does. if you rent a car, your car rental place will have no problem adding it to your credit card. is it really necessary to stress out a tourist who decides to shop & have something to eat in the quaint downtown to come out and find not just a ticket, oh well. but a booted car or tow? is that really necessary. truth be told, they don't even do that in NYC. in NYC you get a ticket & you get towed if you park in a non parking spot but if its over the limit on the meter, you get a ticket.

Look I love Aruba but they need to understand that they are not the only game in town. There are alot of beautiful islands.

Simple parking meters, no problem. But upping the ante, ie boot & tow, problem!!

CK1
    Not only that. With towing vehicles, I would not be surprised if damage will be done to the vehicle. Then there will be more trouble dealing with the rental car companies.

And how many times will a parking meter not function? I just read recently that vehicles got towed despite a malfunction of the parking meter. I'll post the article when I see it again.

I'm also afraid that the parking guards/police will be over-eager to collect money. After all, that is a big investment. Reading on their FB "Being determined" does not really give me a warm and fuzzy feeling.

Thank you Gaby and CK1, very well said (previous two posts). The "boot" thing has me spooked to the extent that I will NEVER park downtown. I just can't imagine how such a STUPID policy was established.

I've already altered my car rental plans for late September and will let the rental agency know why when I'm there in person.
    Please contact via e-mail at arubarennowner@gmail.com

CK1
    Thanks, RobO.

I'm still hoping that Aruba's authorities are rethinking their strategies and that they hopefully realize, how tough it is for everyone, for the tourists and the locals. It will also get very stressful for the employees working for Aruparking, IMO.

I'm under the impression that discussions are going on within Aruba's authorities.

So far, there is not too much information in English available. The Aruparking.com website is stripped of all info. I hope they are still mending things and coming up with something more reasonable!

On their FB site I read "tourists are used to parking meters". What does that mean?

That tourists know how the parking system works in Aruba? That's not the case.

That tourists will accept? That's not the case either as there are many tourists who do NOT have to pay for parking where they live. And if they do, they don't want to have to deal with it while being on a vacation in the Caribbean which should be a joyful and relaxing time.

JMO

We always use taxis so I wasn't going to post. It really doesn't impact us. However, after thinking about it, I just don't understand it. I thought with the trolley and other signs of revitalization downtown they wanted to attract more people to utilize the area. This type of aggressive policy will just push people away. What is the logic?
    Last edited by Pegmeister; 09-09-2015 at 08:24 PM.

Like I said, I have no problem with parking meters. I'm not thrilled but it's not a deal breaker, IMO. What is a deal breaker is the boot & towing. Aruba prides itself on "Friendly" but the boot & towing is not friendly behavior. It is downright hostile. This island survives on tourism. Tourists maybe use to parking meters at home but we don't worry about towing unless you park in a tow away but they're not about to go to an island, rent a car & deal with towing. I bet more people like Rob either stop renting cars or just avoid downtown.

Aruba since 1979
    well folks, this dead horse has taken a beating.
    i am closing the thread as we can only debate and be frustrated and it still solves nothing and i hate this dead horse beating.

it is currently not serving any purpose.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast