Aruba Beach
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Public Bus

Has anyone purchased a "retour card"? According to the Arubus website, it is $4 for a roundtrip. If you did, where did you get it?
    Next Aruba trip in

Senior Member Liz - Aruba Lover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jbrid23456 View Post
    Has anyone purchased a "retour card"? According to the Arubus website, it is $4 for a roundtrip. If you did, where did you get it?
    I know what Arubus "Smart Card" is but I don't know what a "retour card" is. You might have to get it where you get the Smart Card which is at the Arubus office. The office is near the airport in the area behind PriceSmart. To me it doesn't make sense for a tourist to get it if you have to take a taxi $22-25 each way to the get/from their office to the save 60 cents a bus trip.

I don't know what the retour card is either, but I do believe, from what I was told by employees of the Arubus system, that the Arubus "Smart Card" is only available to residents of the island, the folks that live there full time, and unfortunately not available to those of us who consider the island our second home.
    A bit of a bummer, especially if you enjoy touring the island by bus, but hey, it's their game and their rules.
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

I have a question about public buses too....last time I was in Aruba, we used to see the buses stop in front of Tomato Charlies/Hooters area. never ventured out anywhere other than excursions from Palm Beach ( catamaran cruise ) and jeep tour we were picked up by. We just walked along street area near our resort and to a nearby grocery store...would like to go to Oranjestad just to see what the people departing cruise ships see...the shops...sightseeing only, not planning on buying much. We only saw a glimpse of it being bused to and from airport last time. Looks very pretty, colourful buildings, would just like to spend a few hours or better part of the day sightseeing there...I do have a link to the public bus site, just seems a bit intimidating. any advice, such as a particular area to be dropped of in? Thanks in advance

If you want to see what the rest of the tourists see downtown, just go stand by the bushalte (translation - bus stop) , wait for a bus to come along, big one or even one of the little vans with the sign on the roof that says "bus", hop in and head down to the bus depot, which is in the heart of everything that was worth seeing before the high-rise shopping area took over, and go experience Oranjestad. It is cool. Lots of shopping which is unlike the majority of the shopping on the mainland, lots of imports, but lots of touristy crap as well. Take a ride on the trolley, it's the new tourist thing to do, and if you've been walking for hours it can be a treat. Just don't be in a hurry to get to the end of the line. It's not a long distance, but it is a long ride. Souvenir shops as far as the eye can see on the main street (behind the hotel) and the little craft huts on the other side of the hotel by the port/water. And walk the backstreets behind the port and the hotel, that's where the people of the island go and shop. Experience the vibe of the people, they're wonderful.

Go ahead, go for an adventure, explore the place. There's much more to it than just the incredibly wonderful beach and sun and room service and such...
    Mr. Ratt
    "It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got..."
    Aruba.... May 12, 2018... 3pm at the Tamarijn, see you there.
    http://www.heyoka-healing.com

We were able to purchase the $4 bus cards at the same place we obtained our MIO wifi device where the Superfood market is near La Cabana. It is good for 1 round trip on the bus. They are worth picking up if you are already at the market. You don't have to use it the same day you buy it

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12