Aruba Beach

Thread: public transportation?

public transportation?

Hi!
    Could anyone provide any links as to what public transportation is available in Aruba? We will be staying at the Holiday Inn from March 21-28 2016. For some trips like going to Eagle Beach/ shopping/ going downtown I am not interested in taxis or renting a car. What is available? How often does it run? How much does it cost? etc. The times we are there do include Easter weekend so will this make a difference in what is available? Thanks for everyone continued help in my questions! Linda

http://arubus.com

Quote Originally Posted by linda_2332 View Post
    Hi!
    Could anyone provide any links as to what public transportation is available in Aruba? We will be staying at the Holiday Inn from March 21-28 2016. For some trips like going to Eagle Beach/ shopping/ going downtown I am not interested in taxis or renting a car. What is available? How often does it run? How much does it cost? etc. The times we are there do include Easter weekend so will this make a difference in what is available? Thanks for everyone continued help in my questions! Linda

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    Hi Linda,
    Your trip is coming up real soon! How nice!

There is public transportation in Aruba (a bus) or taxi. However, I would strongly recommend considering renting a car. You would be so much more independent and you can discover so much more during your one week stay on Aruba.

In addition: Aruba is VERY hot! Just waiting for a bus (can take up to one hour if you just missed one) can be exhausting. Plus: the busses don't go everywhere where you would possibly want to go.

Just some thoughts.

We have used taxis and buses for 9 years. The buses come (for the most part) every 15-20 minutes. They do not run as often on Sundays and holidays. Taxis also cost more on Sundays and holidays. We stay at Eagle Beach and find the buses very convenient whether we are going to the high rise area or Oranjestaat. The cost has gone up this year to $2.50 per person.

Debating on rather on taking bus or renting a car...
    I am debating on renting a car or taking bus/taxi's...
    Leaning towards the rental. Would I have to buy the extra insurance or would my insurance cover me?
    Is parking easy around the island? How much to park?
    Cathi

CK1
    Anywhere where I can see the turquoise-blue ocean
    I personally would rent a car anytime. I like to be independent and I like the convenience of being in an air-conditioned car.

My credit card (AmEx) has me covered for insurance. But it's best to check with your credit card company to be on the safe side.

IMO, parking is easy BUT you have to stick to the rules. Otherwise, you could end up with a boot. Paid parking is downtown Oranjestad, from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Sundays are free.

For more info, here is Aruparking website. Please read carefully through it to avoid getting a boot:

http://aruparking.com/faq/

Quote Originally Posted by brady bear View Post
    Debating on rather on taking bus or renting a car...
    I am debating on renting a car or taking bus/taxi's...
    Leaning towards the rental. Would I have to buy the extra insurance or would my insurance cover me?
    Cathi
    Cathi - keep in mind, max passengers in a taxi is 5. But if you have 4-5 in your group, some taxi rides end up being cheaper than the bus since bus charges are per person.
    Not sure when, but we will be back

Only 3 of us are going.. kids will be staying with friends. This is a grown up trip. lol
    I know one day we are doing ABC Tours, and two days are the musical festival.
    Yes, I would take a taxi vs a bus.. unless we are going to Palm Beach to do some tubing.. so much fun.
    Still haven't told anyone yet. It is so hard to keep this a secret.
    Most likely I will leave it up to the boys when I tell them in May.

Quote Originally Posted by brady bear View Post
    Would I have to buy the extra insurance or would my insurance cover me?
    Cathi
    Contact the credit card you plan on using for the rental and ask specifically what is covered internationally. Some (mine) emailed me a link to the coverage policy so I could see it in writing.

Parking is fairly easy, just be VERY aware of where you are parking now with the new metered parking rules Mon thru Sat.
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ

from our site http://www.aruba.com/our-island/aruparking

The tariffs are in Aruban Florins but you can also pay with American $ cents:

• 30 min: 1 AWG=$0.55
    • 90 min: 2 AWG=$1.15
    • +90 min: AWG 0.50 cents for every additional 15 minute = $0.30
    Jacki ~ loving Aruba from NJ