Aruba Beach

Thread: Rent car & taking tour

Rent car & taking tour

Hi, We will be a group of 8 people (2 families of 4) going to Aruba for the 1st time in July. We will be renting 2 cars for 3 days. We want to go to the Natural Pool and would most likely take a tour there (from what I have read it does not seem that you can get there by car). Is it safe to go to Baby Beach and Charlie's Bar by car? I read somewhere that cars were robbed or stolen. Since we will have a car for 3 or our 9 days I thought we could see most of the sites on our own. Are there any other sites besides the Natural Pool that are hard to get to by car? The sites I really want to see are Natural Pool, Baby Beach, Charlies Bar, Ayo Rock, Chapel of Alto Vista, Lighthouse, Natural Bridge (I have a Borch Map and I see there are more than one), Lourdes Grotto, Arikok National Park. I know that "Cerry Croes" was mentioned as giving a great tour, but looking at his car on the website it doesn't look like it would fit 8 people and it didn't mention him going to the Natural Pool. Everyone on these boards are so informed and helpful about Aruba. What do you think would be best for us to do? What tour and what can we see on our own? Trying to save a little money also!! Thanks!! Debbie

Cerry will go where ever you want. He has a very nice SUV. Check with him. Bully also has a big vehicle. Ask around, I think it is better to tour with someone that can give you information that goes along with the sights.
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

We want to go to the Natural Pool and would most likely take a tour there (from what I have read it does not seem that you can get there by car).
    This is correct, you cannot get there by car. You would have to have a 4 x 4. Otherwise it is easier to take a guided tour: jeep, ATV or horseback.

Is it safe to go to Baby Beach and Charlie's Bar by car? I read somewhere that cars were robbed or stolen.
    Make sure you take the same precautions you take at home. Lock the vehicle when you are not in it. Keep ALL belongings out of sight in the trunk. Yes, cars are stolen and/or broken into but these are isolated incidents.

I thought we could see most of the sites on our own. Are there any other sites besides the Natural Pool that are hard to get to by car?
    All of the sights you have listed are accesible by car. The most famous "Natural Bridge" is the "collapsed" Natural Bridge at Boca Andicuri/Andicuri Beach. The map shows another bridge just past here but you cannot get any further past "The Natural Bridge" by car and very difficult by 4 x 4 at best. As a note, there is a smaller natural bridge along side the collapsed one and if you drive along the coast coming from the Lighthouse down to "The Natural Bridge" there is a very nice, imo, picturesque bridge along the way.

click on thumbnail to enlarge

Also along the way are Bushirbana Gold Mill Ruins as well as Alto Vista Chapel.

I know that "Cerry Croes" was mentioned as giving a great tour, but looking at his car on the website it doesn't look like it would fit 8 people and it didn't mention him going to the Natural Pool.
    You could always contact him to see what arrangements he can make.

Another member of the forum "taxidriver", Bully, gives island tours, but he too would not be able to get to the Natural Pool. Island tours no matter which taxi driver are by law $40 an hour. That is not per person, so would actually work out to be fairly reasonable for a group of 8 people, besides the fact you would have the added convenience/fun (as long as you all get along well together and like one another ) of traveling together in one vehicle.

I am sure either driver could customize a tour to whichever sights you would like to see.

Cyril Croes cyrllcroes@yahoo.com email

As Randi stated, imo, if first time visitors of the island, I think you get a lot of a tour knowing what you are seeing and getting some history and facts about the sights as well.

FWIW, with such an ambitious list of sights to see, it can be done in one day, but driving on your own with just the Borch map, there are still good chances that you will get lost. Heck dh and I have been to the island 17 (???) times and still get lost out in the middle of nowhere . This alone would prohibit you from being able to see everything in one day. As it is, with stops for photos, Charlie's Bar, Baby beach, it will probably take you all day to see everything you want to see.

Arubalisa, your explanations are perfect!!
    happiness is going to Aruba with your adult kids because they still want to come with their parents

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Arubalisa, your explanations are perfect!!
    Thanks Randi. Your kind words are grately appreciate.

Debbie, if you decide to rent vehicles and tour on your own, these directions encompass most, but not all of your sights and can be formatted for printing:

Aruba Driving Tour: South End of the Island

Aruba Driving Tour: North End of the Island
    Last edited by Arubalisa; 01-07-2011 at 01:14 PM.

Thank's everyone - great information!! I am going to have to reconsider the Natural Pool. My husband and I have back problems and it sounds like the jeep might be too rough. I would hate to ruin my vacation and from what I have read I would not even consider trying to go by car. There are plenty of other things to do. I have already been in touch with Bully - very quick response. He cannot accomodate 8 people, but I am inquiring if we can get 2 taxi's to take us to Baby Beach and Charlie's Bar. I have read that you need to keep an eye on your car at Baby Beach - knowing how I am I would not be enjoying myself. Aruba Lisa I have already printed what you sent - thank you. By the way your daughter is adorable.

You are all so helpful & knowledgeable - thank you again!!

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
    Aruba Lisa I have already printed what you sent - thank you. By the way your daughter is adorable.
    Thank you!
    I am going to have to reconsider the Natural Pool. My husband and I have back problems and it sounds like the jeep might be too rough. I would hate to ruin my vacation and from what I have read I would not even consider trying to go by car. There are plenty of other things to do.

You are quite right, there ARE so many other things to do on Aruba that you really would not miss much by skipping the Natural Pool. Imo, for the amount of time it takes to reach it and return to the paved road, it is a big investment of time for some snorkeling and/or photo op.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyD View Post
    Thank's everyone - great information!! I I have already been in touch with Bully - very quick response. He cannot accomodate 8 people, but I am inquiring if we can get 2 taxi's to take us to Baby Beach and Charlie's Bar. I have read that you need to keep an eye on your car at Baby Beach - knowing how I am I would not be enjoying myself.
    WELL, I WOULD HIRE BULLY AND CERRY! Both of these men are very knowledgable, fantastic to show you around. You can reserve them both and both have great vehicles!

When considering a private tour whether with Cerry or Bully, Aruban law requires taxis have no more than 5 passengers.

Thus, with a group of 8 your options may be limited fro an island tour.

A couple of us recently used Bully and had an excellent time. Wish we'd have had an audio recording of the day. In advance we requested some iced beverages be on-board and he accommodated.

Great time had by all. I think Bully may even have some stories to tell subsequent groups/passengers.
    Joe & Mimi

LIFE IS GOOD