Aruba Beach

Thread: to rent or not?

to rent or not?

We (my husband and our 4 kids) are arriving in Aruba this Monday evening. We are so excited. Can no tell you that every single person that I have told we are going there tells us that it is the BEST place ever.....So, my questions are do we need to rent a car...

We are staying at the Marriott Surf club. We plan on doing the Pirate Cruise one day and Depalma Island....I would also appreciate any feedback on those. My children are 16,14,11 & 7....We will be eating dinner out each night. I have heard we can walk to restaurants...We will also need to make a trip to the grocery store (Ling's) on Tuesday morning.

Any thoughts on car rental or anyhing else, would be most appreciated...Also, how much is it to get to and from the airport...again with 6 of us and about 7 suitcases...

Thanks.

Reniassance Island & Surf Club Lazy River
    You kids might not like Depalm Island to much. The water park is geared towards little kids.

Yes, you can walk to just about everything, well, except madame Jeannette's restaurant which you must go to.

You will need 2 cabs as the max a cab can hold is 5. Don't know the price but it is set by the govt.

On the beach you can walk up and make arrangements to do the parasaililng, tubing etc.

Aruba since 1979
    click this link and read post 2 for taxi rates
    Taxi prices

this will be a busy week in aruba (school vacation in the RI and MA)

a group of 6, i would say yes you do need a car/mini van rental.

taxis are only allowed to carry 5 passengers per the regulations.
    so if you had to cab it, you would be needing 2 cabs wherever you went.

check out this below link to car rental threads.
    http://www.aruba.com/forum/tags/car%20rental.html

there is also the public bus system in aruba that is very reliable.

at this late date, you may not find many "cheap" bargains for car rentals, but a reliable minivan imo needs to be your top priority.
    Quote Originally Posted by Momoffour View Post
    We (my husband and our 4 kids) are arriving in Aruba this Monday evening. We are so excited. Can no tell you that every single person that I have told we are going there tells us that it is the BEST place ever.....So, my questions are do we need to rent a car...

We are staying at the Marriott Surf club. We plan on doing the Pirate Cruise one day and Depalma Island....I would also appreciate any feedback on those. My children are 16,14,11 & 7....We will be eating dinner out each night. I have heard we can walk to restaurants...We will also need to make a trip to the grocery store (Ling's) on Tuesday morning.

Any thoughts on car rental or anyhing else, would be most appreciated...Also, how much is it to get to and from the airport...again with 6 of us and about 7 suitcases...

Thanks.
    Last edited by Andrea J.; 04-14-2012 at 10:15 AM.

Jolley Pirate sunset cruise is Awesome for family!
    We have taken the SS cruise last 4 years. My three are still young and the 2 hours is just enough. Your older ones would appreciate the snorkeling trip but the 7 year old might find it too long and will need some assistance if he/she is not a great swimmer.

The rope swing is a blast for all!!!

I think depalm is pricey and a long day considering the beach is at your fingertips.

Once you get acclimated a Car is great for a few days to really get out and get the feel of the Aruba that I love. See what is out there away from palm beach and the high rises. You will discover a wonderful and embracing island.

Ralph

Thanks for your replies...will think about it...looks like it is really hard to get a minivan...went on several sites...may end up renting for a couple of days once we get settled....did see a post about bully taxi...will maybe contact them for airport transportation. Looking forward to visiting this island...again thanks! All advice is greatly appreciated...first time on this website!!!

Bully rocks!

Another great cab driver

I also use Dudley frequently on the island.
    He has a large accommodating van and is always blasting bob marley as we cruise to our destination.

You can reach him on the island at 747-7795
    Just call him and he'll meet you in 10-15 minutes

Cab fares are preset and non metered. There is an up charge for Sundays and holidays.

Enjoy, relax and indulge in some ice cold chills!
    Ralph

Renting a car

IMO , you need to get a car. It will save you money in the long run. Two taxis 2 and from the airport plus tip has to be $75 each way, minimum. Yes, you can walk to a lot of restaurnts from the Marriott but the really memorable ones need traansportation. EX. Mdme Jan, Papiamento, Chalet Suisse, plus your trip to the grocery store and a ride around the island.

We have done it in something smaller than a mini van. Don't wait until you get there. You'll need groceries as soon as you arrive. If you buy in the Marriott 'grocery store', you'll pay double. Also, pack a few tubes for the lazy river. They too are very expensive at the resort to buy.

Have a great trip! There is no where else like Aruba.

Mary Alice

Renting a car

Oh, forgot to mention. I agree DePalm Island is over priced and not worth the trip. If they offered a 1/2 day it may be something to think about. Enjoy Aruba.

Pretty sure rate from AUA to high rise is $25.00 each way unless it is Sunday or holiday. If you per order at ling and sons most do not charge waiting time to run in and pick up your order.

I do agree that in the end it is more cost effective and you are provided more flexibility with a rental vehicle.

Ralph