Aruba Beach
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By arubabob

Thread: Rental car Insurance and Deposit

Rental car Insurance and Deposit

Reserved with Hertz to pick up at the Renaisance Ocean Suites and drop off week later at airport. Rate was good but was surprised with the $750 deposit on credit card and the cost of the additional insurance. Not sure if I need the additional insurance as I know when you rent using your Chase Marriott Premier Card, they will cover any accidents. Anyone have any advice with the insurance issue.

Thirty Six hours till boarding

Thanks Dave

Aruba since 1979
    if the credit card covers the insurance why purchase the additional?

when we buy trip insurance (and i really recommend folks buy trip insurance) we try to find one that includes at no additional charge, car rental insurance.

over the years, i have gotten conflicting answers from my credit card co re: am i covered or no. all of them say YES, then when it comes to the details they say "umm maybe not international" every time i call them to inquire, i get a different answer

safe and fun travels!

"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosox824 View Post
    Reserved with Hertz to pick up at the Renaisance Ocean Suites and drop off week later at airport. Rate was good but was surprised with the $750 deposit on credit card and the cost of the additional insurance. Not sure if I need the additional insurance as I know when you rent using your Chase Marriott Premier Card, they will cover any accidents. Anyone have any advice with the insurance issue.

Thirty Six hours till boarding

Thanks Dave

call to all your cards.some providing insurance only in USA.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    Amex does cover you international. I get the additional insurance that they charge $25 for each rental period that gives premium extra insurance but its not necessary with them. It only kicks in when you put a rental car on your card up to a 28 day period, one time charge. They still cover you without it.

You must decline the optional insurance in order for your credit card to cover the vehicle. Also call chase and tell them you will be using your card in Aruba and give them the dates.

I always decline the insurance. That deposit seems quite high for a week. I have a smaller deposit for two weeks.

Eagle Beach, Baby Beach, Arashi Beach Tierra Del Sol golf course

Smile

I was an insurance agent for 40 years so here is what I know.

If you rent a car in the U S its territories or canada, you are covered on your own policy. Remember the coverage will be the same as that which you have purchased for your own car, except that your policy will automatically cover you for any state or territory specific limits that you are not currently covered for. For instance, you live in Oklahoma and dont carry medical insurance on your policy. You have an accident in Florida and they require medical coverage. You will be automatically covered for the minimum medical. You carry your states minimum liability amount and have an accident in a state that has higher minimums, you will automaticaly have those higher minimums in the event of an accident.
    It will not cover you for renting an RV or truck with more than 4 axles or bigger than 1 ton.

Most but not all credit cards have some car insurance coverage. Be sure to check with your own card and dont take the word of someone on the phone. They can email a copy of the coverage to you. The places you are covered and the vehicles that are covered varry also.
    My gold master card covers me in Aruba provided I waive the collision damage AND pay the bill with my card. If I pay cash when I turn the car in there is no coverage for any subsequent damage found. That is important because for some reason many damages seem to be found after the fact.
    My card does NOT cover 4 wheel drive or luxury vehicles. My card does not cover cars rented in quite a few countries including Afganistan, India, Iraq and other places.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Arashi Beach, Hyatt, Radisson, Shopping, Flea Market, Downtown, Palm Beach, Everything
    I know Amex doesn't cover Italy, lol. But seeing how they drive, I can't blame them. They did send me the coverage in the mail when I inquired originally about insurance. They transferred me to the insurance section. I didn't even ask for it but they sent it to me based on my inquiry.