Aruba Beach

Thread: Rental car and road conditions

Rental car and road conditions

We got the map that has been listed in other posts (at Barnes and Noble). It is a good quality map with good details. The only thing you really can't figure out is the quality of the roads you might be traveling on (paved or unpaved).

We are thinking about renting a small car for the two weeks we are in Aruba. There are lots of places we want to go and check out including, Alto Vista Chapel, the old gold mines, Hooiberg, etc. Are we going to need a 4WD to do any of these things? I know one is needed for the Natural Pool. It seems like many of the bus (not jeep) tours manage these sites, so I was just curious. Thanks!

There is really no way I know of describing which roads on the map are paved and which are dirt. The "red" roads on the Borch Map are paved.

A general rule of thumb though is that unless there has been torrential rain, you will be able to drive wherever you like on the island, including dirt roads, with a car. Again you WILL NEED a 4 x 4 to get to the Natural Pool.

There are other areas on that side of the island which you will not be able to access with a car, but with not even a dirt road, they are extremely difficult if not nearly impossible to navigate with even a 4 x 4.

Yes, I agree with Arubalisa.....a 4x4 is probably the best way to go....you can go just about anywhere and not have a problem. Try an ATV tour to get to the NP...they say they are great and you have a guide so you don't have to worry about geting lost or getting a flat....Just be careful and have fun !!!
    ARUBA....HOME AWAY FROM HOME

A car will get you around the island fine. There is much that can be seen by car.

As for the Natural Pool, a guided tour is best. Either a jeep tour or other. The last time we rented a jeep (March 2006) we had to sign that we would not take the jeep to natural pool, or insurance would not be in effect, and we would be personally responsible for any damage. You should check with the rental agency what their policy is. When I am in Aruba next week, I plan on checking with a few rental agency's to see what their current policy is.
    Tom & Karen

Next Trip: Jan. 6 - April 7

We have rented both. It will be a car this year. Most places are accessible via car. We have yet to visit the Natural Pool in all our visits to Aruba (7) so far. Maybe this year, but did hear better to go w a tour group. We may try to check out the caves this year, not sure if car accessible, so will look into a tour.

Quote Originally Posted by arubaOCD View Post
    We may try to check out the caves this year, not sure if car accessible, so will look into a tour.
    You can easily drive in a car to both Fontien and Guadirikiri caves. From what I have read, the Huliba Cave is also known as the Tunnel of Love, has been closed due to safety issues.